• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 580 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Same can be said about Roglic, Pogacar,...

I believe the Teams operate so scientifically and have so much data that they do know what they are doing. Only, riders are not robots, of course.
I'm more afraid that Remco is getting hungry after seeing Roglic and Pogacar last week and that there will be a prestige duel during Catalunya that would cost him too much in preparation for the Giro.
Hope SQS can calm down Remco.
Remco must be getting FOMO on the spring classics (besides Liege). Despite his track record on cobbles and gravel I bet he’ll get an itchy trigger finger for those races soon.

Omg, look at today's training of Remco, simply insane.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I'm more afraid that Remco is getting hungry after seeing Roglic and Pogacar last week and that there will be a prestige duel during Catalunya that would cost him too much in preparation for the Giro.
Hope SQS can calm down Remco.
I think that is a very realistic take, and that is probably also the reason why Pog is already so good. He was hungry to prove himself against Vingegaard. Same goes for Vingegaardn but he pulled to smaller straw. Might also be the reason why Roglic did TA and rode to win.

I'm not really worried about Catalunya, since it is still far out for the Giro, but he might peak a bit for LBL (or at least mentally) and that can shift him in two ways for the Giro.

The giro 3rd week is also 2nd hell. Very very hard last stages, with a climbing TT at the end. Seems like a giro that will need to be ridden with a very well placed peak.

I think that is a very realistic take, and that is probably also the reason why Pog is already so good. He was hungry to prove himself against Vingegaard. Same goes for Vingegaardn but he pulled to smaller straw. Might also be the reason why Roglic did TA and rode to win.

I'm not really worried about Catalunya, since it is still far out for the Giro, but he might peak a bit for LBL (or at least mentally) and that can shift him in two ways for the Giro.

The giro 3rd week is also 2nd hell. Very very hard last stages, with a climbing TT at the end. Seems like a giro that will need to be ridden with a very well placed peak.

I think the Giro will be a hard race for him to win. The 3 TTs are a bit overrated imo as the mountain TT is less of a “free” time gain for him and the amount of climbing in a Giro is extreme enough to outweigh the TTs. That last week is rough with around 3 stages of over 5k vert and at altitude. He’s proven his climbing ability just fine but I still rate this as more of a pure climber’s parcours.

I think the Giro will be a hard race for him to win. The 3 TTs are a bit overrated imo as the mountain TT is less of a “free” time gain for him and the amount of climbing in a Giro is extreme enough to outweigh the TTs. That last week is rough with around 3 stages of over 5k vert and at altitude. He’s proven his climbing ability just fine but I still rate this as more of a pure climber’s parcours.
To the bolded, well that's just it isn't it? Another step into the unknown, to see how Remco fairs. Because if he wins this Giro, with all the terrifying mountains in week 3, he shall prove he's got the motor to win the Tour. Doubtless that's why he's doing the Giro this year in the first place. If it were in any other era but that in which you have to beat the likes of Pog and Vingo, he'd go to the Tour already this year. However, with a fish like Roglic to fry and the brutal parcours, the Giro is the perfect stepping stone to see what he's further capable of handling. Now the big question is how much margin for improvement does Remco have in the high mountains. If his recent performance on Tiede is any indication, we could be in for fireworks from him.

Yep, but it's Giro and some of this hard stages may be replaced with so so stages due to the weather. And with ITT you at least know what you get

Whether he wins or not will depend not only on his form, but also on factors that may or may not be in your control. To state with certainty that you will win, tends towards arrogance. However, you can say that Remco is definitely 1 of the favourites (together with Roglic the top favourite).

Actually, I don't care if he wins in Catalunya. I just want confirmation that he is in good form. Only 1 thing counts for the first half of the year and that is the Giro (to a lesser extent LBL). After that still the world championships. And that's it.

Remco will not be judged on Catalunya, he will be judged on the Giro. Who does still speak of the Tour of Switzerland of last year?

Soudal QuickStep team for Catalunya:

Cattaneo
Evenepoel
Hirt
Masnada
Serry
Van Wilder
Vervaeke

I think that could be the Giro team as well (+ Ballerini, or maybe one of Cavagna/Cerny?).
Remco Teide training camp is with Masnada, Hirt, Vervaecke and Van Welder. It look like that are all going to Cataluña together and then another training camp. Maybe Masnada, Vervacke or Van Welder goes to Romandie or Liege. They are the core group for the Giro, the climbing group, its good they are trainings a lot together and getting to know each other.

Looks also like Cattaneo, Ballerini and Serry are the other member of Giro team.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS