• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 591 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters

Sanremo and De Ronde please. The former is a possibility next year, at least.

Reactions: Didinho
He seems to be very good, but not good enough to drop Roglic on these climbs.

Hope he would try to attack from behind instead of telephoning his attacks though. Because dropping someone in your wheel is a lot harder and the competition (at least atm) are very happy to limit themselves (intentional or by no other choice) to wheelsucking.
That just lets Roglic rest between accelerations.

I think Evenepoels tactics were pretty sound. Losing bonus seconds doesn't mean that much, he still basically needs to drop Roglic on Tortosa, that doesn't really change.

Tailwind all day today didn't help Evenepoel I think either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
That just lets Roglic rest between accelerations.

I think Evenepoels tactics were pretty sound. Losing bonus seconds doesn't mean that much, he still basically needs to drop Roglic on Tortosa, that doesn't really change.

Tailwind all day today didn't help Evenepoel I think either.
Well if he cant get rid of Roglic on climbs, there is only one alternative, make sure the ettappe are won by breaks and if others want bonus points or time, they will need to get it themselves. (but for that he probably needs to be in the lead. which can happen with a TT.)

If the idea was to drop others instead of outsprinting them, he started too late. The group had a good pace but not enough to reduce the pack to an elite group so the probability that some can keep his pace for 1-2 km is rather high. Next time he should test himself (and others) by going much earlier.

If the idea was to drop others instead of outsprinting them, he started too late. The group had a good pace but not enough to reduce the pack to an elite group so the probability that some can keep his pace for 1-2 km is rather high. Next time he should test himself (and others) by going much earlier.
Maybe he thought he's Marco Pantani, because he's got a gorgeous model girlfriend / wife too? :D

More seriously it actually truly looked as if he just wanted to ride on and drop them from the front like Pantani did with Ullrich, Virenque & Riis on Alpe d'Huez in 1997!

If that works out it's actually super cool to watch I have to say in his defense!

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of almeida.
that's ok, Almeida had a mechanical or something and was not helped by team I think. But he rode very strong and made up the distance. Remco started the sprint too early, but in an interview he said he was pleased to have been able to put in two attacks for the first time in high altitude. I believe there could be a rivalry in the future Remco vs Almeida.

Well if he cant get rid of Roglic on climbs, there is only one alternative, make sure the ettappe are won by breaks and if others want bonus points or time, they will need to get it themselves. (but for that he probably needs to be in the lead. which can happen with a TT.)

Which was kinda QS tactic at the Vuelta. Rog got few bonus seconds.

Thing is here Remco needs to drop Rog (and it seemed close today). But at Giro, Rog will likely need to come out from the safety of wheelsucking to drop Remco in the mountains.

Funny to think that I am giving the TT advantage to Remco over a dominant Olympic champ, but I am.

Maybe he thought he's Marco Pantani, because he's got a gorgeous model girlfriend / wife too? :D

More seriously it actually truly looked as if he just wanted to ride on and drop them from the front like Pantani did with Ullrich, Virenque & Riis on Alpe d'Huez in 1997!

If that works out it's actually super cool to watch I have to say in his defense!

He appeared to be pretty satisfied at being able to accelerate twice at altitude (over 2000). Appears that he didn’t think he could do that. The fact that Rog (and Ciccone) waited until the last turn to get by him means they didn’t have it to do a normal rogStomp from 500m -1000m out even after Remco led for more than 2k.

Rog may win Catalunya, but if all he can do is follow and sprint around at the end, that bodes pretty well for Remco, methinks (see TDF 2020).

that's ok, Almeida had a mechanical or something and was not helped by team I think. But he rode very strong and made up the distance. Remco started the sprint too early, but in an interview he said he was pleased to have been able to put in two attacks for the first time in high altitude. I believe there could be a rivalry in the future Remco vs Almeida.
I think Remco has (or should have) his sights set a bit higher than Almeida.

Tho his team (other than Van wilder) was pretty crap.

They really need some reinforcements for 2024.
Well, his team was about as good as Jumbo, which was heralded as a "TDF team" to support Roglic in the Giro. I had hoped Missnada to be able to do better this year, but so far it doesn't seem like it. Vervaeke and Serry are about what you could expect, good domestiques for a hilly stage but not the guys to be there on the final climb. Hirt was a disappointment, and frankly so was Cattaneo. Of all the guys that should be able to support him at least halfway up the final climb, only Van Wilder was up to the task.

TRENDING THREADS