• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 593 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
From an interview of Domenico Pozzovivo in today's la Gazzetta dello Sport:

In these years you have been able to race against the new generation of phenomena, Van Aert, Pogacar, Van der Poel and Evenepoel. Do you have a preference?

"They are all spectacular, but if I must choose I say Evenepoel. He demolishes the competition starting with his head. It's incredible."

From an interview of Domenico Pozzovivo in today's la Gazzetta dello Sport:

In these years you have been able to race against the new generation of phenomena, Van Aert, Pogacar, Van der Poel and Evenepoel. Do you have a preference?

"They are all spectacular, but if I must choose I say Evenepoel. He demolishes the competition starting with his head. It's incredible."
Really interesting, I would have thought everyone would say Pog, with all the ways he can beat you. Would love to hear him expand on the “head” comment.

In the long run, I think Evenepoel's star shall Shine brighter. He can TT better and will climb better too and he solos better with it. In short, his is the biggest engine.
There is zero evidence that Remco will be a better climber and I'm a big fan of Remco. He still needs to prove he can beat Pogi in the Tour. When he does that, I will consider him better than Pogi.

Last edited:
There is zero evidence that Remco will be a better climber and I'm big fan of Remco. He still needs to prove he can beat Pogi in the Tour. When he does that, I will consider him better than Pogi.
Oh ye of little faith! Zero evidence? He's just warming up, and after his setback. He shall, wait and see. Remember Remco came late to cycling. Already this year, at 23, we should see climbing performances that will be stratospheric. By the time he's 25 he'll be dropping them all in the mountains of the Grand Bouclé. It's his destiny!

And another thing...you know what? When Van der Poel took off on the Poggio in MSR, in Pog's face upon the latter's failed attempt to drop them, I honestly thought at the time, you see, the only cyclist who could have attacked on that climb, midway up, in that same scenario and gone solo was Remco E-v-e-n-e-p-o-e-l!

And another thing...you know what? When Van der Poel took off on the Poggio in MSR, in Pog's face upon the latter's failed attempt to drop them, I honestly thought at the time, you see, the only cyclist who could have attacked on that climb, midway up, in that same scenario and gone solo was Remco E-v-e-n-e-p-o-e-l!
Halfway the Poggio? You mean after 2'30 of 4% climbing, he can drop them on a 4% gradient. He can't even drop Roglic on pure acceleration on a 7% gradient despite being the better climber right now.

Let's be real. I too think Evenepoel can win Sanremo. But magically deleting everyone on the Poggio when Pogacar can't get a gap is just magical thinking. He either needs to make a sneak attack early, or get away on the flat after the descent.

Halfway the Poggio? You mean after 2'30 of 4% climbing, he can drop them on a 4% gradient. He can't even drop Roglic on pure acceleration on a 7% gradient despite being the better climber right now.

Let's be real. I too think Evenepoel can win Sanremo. But magically deleting everyone on the Poggio when Pogacar can't get a gap is just magical thinking. He either needs to make a sneak attack early, or get away on the flat after the descent.
Let's not confuse apples with oranges. The Poggio is a completely different effort than a real mountain and, yes, I say Remco has the burst of raw power to drop them on the Poggio. It's like Nibali said at last year's Liege, "I tried to get on his wheel, but it was futile, because when he attacked he was going three times as fast as e everybody else." Or take San Sebastian as another example, when he's got fantastic legs it's end of story for everybody else. This is why I believe Valverde said Remco was "by far" the best, although I got mocked for citing it. But we'll see who has the last (sardonic) laugh!

As for the present battle between Evenepoel and Roglic, Primoz, as was testified on Tiede, is super thin and evidently going very strong. I don't think Pog or Vingegaard would be going better at the moment and perhaps Roglic gets better for the Giro. So that Evenepoel is just marginally stronger than Primoz now is completely normal. And this could remain true at the Giro as well, for which the TTs will perhaps decide the race. At any rate, top Roglic, healthy and unrestrained, is comparable to Pog and Vingo, thus Remco should not be crushingly superior. But remember he's only 23 and so when he reaches 25, 26, 27 years old, I predict nobody will have anything for him.

Let's not confuse apples with oranges. The Poggio is a completely different effort than a real mountain and, yes, I say Remco has the burst of raw power to drop them on the Poggio. It's like Nibali said at last year's Liege, "I tried to get on his wheel, but it was futile, because when he attacked he was going three times as fast as e everybody else." Or take San Sebastian as another example, when he's got fantastic legs it's end of story for everybody else. This is why I believe Valverde said Remco was "by far" the best, although I got mocked for citing it. But we'll see who has the last (sardonic) laugh!

As for the present battle between Evenepoel and Roglic, Primoz, as was testified on Tiede, is super thin and evidently going very strong. I don't think Pog or Vingegaard would be going better at the moment and perhaps Roglic gets better for the Giro. So that Evenepoel is just marginally stronger than Primoz now is completely normal. And this could remain true at the Giro as well, for which the TTs will perhaps decide the race. At any rate, top Roglic, healthy and unrestrained, is comparable to Pog and Vingo, thus Remco should not be crushingly superior. But remember he's only 23 and so when he reaches 25, 26, 27 years old, I predict nobody will have anything for him.
"It's like comparing apples and oranges"

*compares washed up Nibali with the likes of MvdP, Pogacar, and WvA."

It's much easier to drop people in LBL or SS than on that short little Poggio. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a good "burst of raw power" but I don't believe that would be enough to drop guys like Pogacar on the Poggio. He doesn't have a kick like VDP did this year, no way.

It's much easier to drop people in LBL or SS than on that short little Poggio. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a good "burst of raw power" but I don't believe that would be enough to drop guys like Pogacar on the Poggio. He doesn't have a kick like VDP did this year, no way.
He doesn't have to have MvdP's kick, when he's already dropped him. And, yes, on that short little Poggio, I bet only Remco has the watt bomb to go up it faster than Pog from where Tadej attacked.

There is zero evidence that Remco will be a better climber and I'm a big fan of Remco. He still needs to prove he can beat Pogi in the Tour. When he does that, I will consider him better than Pogi.
The watts analysts on twitter seem to believe that Remcos best climbing performances are above anything Pog has ever done. I know it's only theoretical, but they did predict that Vingegaard would drop Pog in the mountains, before last years Tour.

We'll just have to wait and see, but it could get very very interesting in the next few years. Hopefully it doesn't become too one-sided, either way.

I agree with Red Rick here. If anything has learned us of MSR is that dropping someone on poggio is ridiculous hard. Even VDP could only do it at the end with a burst sprint.

Thinking that Remco can just ride away on the pogio is wishful thinking. The only way that would happen if the situation is like VDP was in, when everyone else was empty.

I don't think it helps when we put completely unreasonable expectations for him. I agree he can win MSR, but that doesn't mean we need to make it in epic proportions. MSR is won by how the race develops and it falls in your favour. (VDP this year, WVA back when he was dropped by Alla, last year in the descend because pog couldn't follow).

I agree with Red Rick here. If anything has learned us of MSR is that dropping someone on poggio is ridiculous hard. Even VDP could only do it at the end with a burst sprint.

Thinking that Remco can just ride away on the pogio is wishful thinking. The only way that would happen if the situation is like VDP was in, when everyone else was empty.

I don't think it helps when we put completely unreasonable expectations for him. I agree he can win MSR, but that doesn't mean we need to make it in epic proportions. MSR is won by how the race develops and it falls in your favour. (VDP this year, WVA back when he was dropped by Alla, last year in the descend because pog couldn't follow).
If anyone can, however, it's Remco!