• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 965 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
Hi folks,

I am a new member but long time lurker...

Also a huge remco fan...

Just some info... I justed watched today s race and last year s race simultaneously, starting from somewhere at the bottom of la redoute (so i could start when Pogacar and Remco were at the same place at that moment).

Observations:
- Pogacar was faster at the top of la redoute (last year there was a lot of slowing down in Evenepoel s group after his slip). I did not time it but i think Pogacar was about 15 seconds faster at the top.

- Despite the heavy rain in the descent Remco was then much faster than Pogacar in the part from the top of la redoute to the top of the cote des forges. Again did not time it but watching it simultaneously it was clear that Evenepoel reached the top of the cote des forges first (despite the rain and Pogacar reaching the top of la redoute first). Evenepoel his pace must have been huge (alas dropping Pidcock).

- From the top of cote des forges to the start of Roche aux faucons Pogacar is clearly faster. Last year the roads were really wet and it is clear that Evenepoel his descent is much much slower.

- For the roche aux faucons: the categorised part Pogacar is 10 seconds faster than Evenepoel. But the more flat part in between and then the second part (last uphill part) Evenepoel is again a few seconds faster than Pogacar.

Of course the wind and conditions were not the same but considering they were/are both preparing for the Giro and came from altitude camp, i thought of this as interesting obsevations.

Rewatching the last 100 km of last year also made me remember how attritional it was made by Quickstep and also the rain all day....

So conclusion: I think that Remco in his shape of last year was probably able to ride with Pogacar to the finish. Which makes

Hopefully next year they can battle it out!

Hi folks,

Also a huge remco fan...

Just some info... I justed watched today s race and last year s race simultaneously, starting from somewhere at the bottom of la redoute (so i could start when Pogacar and Remco were at the same place at that moment).

Observations:
- Pogacar was faster at the top of la redoute (last year there was a lot of slowing down in Evenepoel s group after his slip). I did not time it but i think Pogacar was about 15 seconds faster at the top.

- Despite the heavy rain in the descent Remco was then much faster than Pogacar in the part from the top of la redoute to the top of the cote des forges. Again did not time it but watching it simultaneously it was clear that Evenepoel reached the top of the cote des forges first (despite the rain and Pogacar reaching the top of la redoute first). Evenepoel his pace must have been huge (alas dropping Pidcock).

- From the top of cote des forges to the start of Roche aux faucons Pogacar is clearly faster. Last year the roads were really wet and it is clear that Evenepoel his descent is much much slower.

- For the roche aux faucons: the categorised part Pogacar is 10 seconds faster than Evenepoel. But the more flat part in between and then the second part (last uphill part) Evenepoel is again a few seconds faster than Pogacar.

Of course the wind and conditions were not the same but considering they were/are both preparing for the Giro and came from altitude camp, i thought of this as interesting obsevations.

Rewatching the last 100 km of last year also made me remember how attritional it was made by Quickstep and also the rain all day....

So conclusion: I think that Remco in his shape of last year was probably able to ride with Pogacar to the finish. Which makes

I made the same reflexion.
No way Evenepoel could have dropped Pogacar.... and vice-versa. A similar solo for both riders in 23 and 24.
Both riders would have cooperated well (it's their caracter and the way they ride) and would have sprinted for victory. With all respect for Bardet. But ending second in Liège, at the age of 34 (his best result ever in a monument) and VDP ending third (after really never been in the race) is a proof the opposition was not fenomenal this year and/or there was not so much chasing behind the leader this year.
Who would have won at the end ? I think Pogacar. A bit more explosive and faster in a sprint. But this is a hilly one-day race. In a grand tour, Pogacar would prove the better of Evenepoel.

Reactions: Samurai86
There is no way anybody eats 6 scoops of icecream, he's just saying that to rile me up. We have this thing going Remco and me. Me and the Remster. I will say he's too fat here on the forum and he will say in a podcast he wants to become fatter. He knows i'll listen to it, and i know he'll be reading my posts, probably has an alert set every time i post. It's just a thing we do, you know.

Rumor has it that Klaas Lodewyck added 3 scoops. :tonguewink:

Apr 21, 2024
Visit site
Lefevere's big idea to turn around Quicksteps classics hopes?

Send Remco
I would be really interested to see him in RVV. I really think he is the best rouleur by far and would be a pain in the ass in the parts in between hills and the last part after the Paterberg. But rememberig Brabantse Pijl and his technical difficulties on that cobbled climb i am worried for Paterberg and Koppenberg (especially when wet). Would really want to see it! Also for Paris-Roubaix he has the motor and aerodynamic position (for the non cobbled sections). He is not bad on cobbles (see previous results) but maybe not good enough?

Yes, Remco, Pogi, Mathieu and Wout would be my wet dream in 2025. Right now its 99% certainty I'll be there, Remco attending would mean its 100%!

But honestly, why not? Should be a fine race for Remco IMO, and QS are absolutely laughable in that race atm and that cannot happen. Not just regular bad, but downright pathetic. Should not sit good with anybody when your best bet is a very mediocre Yves Lampaert or Asgreen who suddenly forgot how to ride classics.

Yes, Remco, Pogi, Mathieu and Wout would be my wet dream in 2025. Right now its 99% certainty I'll be there, Remco attending would mean its 100%!

But honestly, why not? Should be a fine race for Remco IMO, and QS are absolutely laughable in that race atm and that cannot happen. Not just regular bad, but downright pathetic. Should not sit good with anybody when your best bet is a very mediocre Yves Lampaert or Asgreen who suddenly forgot how to ride classics.

Asgreen said in an interview that they think they have figured out what is wrong with the classics riders. He wouldn't say what though. Don't know if it's just spin.

Hi folks,

Also a huge remco fan...

Observations:

Hopefully next year he could. Honestly, though; he didn't have the form this season before his crash to hang onto Tadej's wheel. 274km is a long way to take a beating, too.

huh?

We don't know that. However, given what we have seen from Remco, it is highly unlikely Tadej would have dropped him (and vice versa)

Likely would have been a 1 on 1 sprint 5 minutes ahead of the peloton
Not very convinced that either one would ride as hard with the other one on their wheel as either one did on their own the past two LBLs. I would expect a lot of accelerations and then regrouping of the top 10-15.

Not very convinced that either one would ride as hard with the other one on their wheel as either one did on their own the past two LBLs. I would expect a lot of accelerations and then regrouping of the top 10-15.
I think they would both ride enough to stay away. Neither one wants to be the one who didn't cooperate and get labeled afraid of the other, especially because they've never gone head to head in a sprint to establish a pecking order.

I think they would both ride enough to stay away. Neither one wants to be the one who didn't cooperate and get labeled afraid of the other, especially because they've never gone head to head in a sprint to establish a pecking order.
Maybe, but I feel like each one would think the best plan would be to leave the other one back in chase group 1 where they would be constantly foiled by the others in their chase attempts.

huh?

We don't know that. However, given what we have seen from Remco, it is highly unlikely Tadej would have dropped him (and vice versa)

Likely would have been a 1 on 1 sprint 5 minutes ahead of the peloton
Remco couldn't drop the newbie from JV....so there's no "highly unlikely" qualification on his effort. Watched that race in depth tonight and the most important thing I noticed was Tadej didn't waste much energy and his tactics after Redoute were flawless.
It wasn't an "extraterrestrial" effort and Remco would likely have been on his wheel if he made the same flawless ride to that point. That's rare in a race of that length, too.