• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 976 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Froome could had won 8 Tours France and finished with 4.

2012 a gift to wiggins.
Crashes in 2014 and 2019.
Bad decision doing the Giro in 2018 before the Tour, instead of focus on the fifth.
I would argue Contador *should* have won 6 Tours but ended up with 2 on paper (3 on the road). If you really want to stretch it, he could have won up to 9. He was the dominant GT rider 2007 - 2011 and reached peak again in 2014 after steak related setbacks and crashes.

2007 - won
2008 - not allowed to participate but would have won easily (won Giro + Vuelta)
2009 - won
2010 - won on the road
2011 - rode Giro due to outstanding case and crashed in Tour
(2012 - 2013) - not going to argue about these because there are too many conditions here
2014 - still in dominant shape and beat Froome at Vuelta with really strong numbers
(2015) - crashed in Giro, crashed in Tour, probably could have done better but not going to argue this one

I would argue Contador *should* have won 6 Tours but ended up with 2 on paper (3 on the road). If you really want to stretch it, he could have won up to 9. He was the dominant GT rider 2007 - 2011 and reached peak again in 2014 after steak related setbacks and crashes.

2007 - won
2008 - not allowed to participate but would have won easily (won Giro + Vuelta)
2009 - won
2010 - won on the road
2011 - rode Giro due to outstanding case and crashed in Tour
(2012 - 2013) - not going to argue about these because there are too many conditions here
2014 - still in dominant shape and beat Froome at Vuelta with really strong numbers
(2015) - crashed in Giro, crashed in Tour, probably could have done better but not going to argue this one
I agree with you between 2008 and 2011.
In 2007 he wasn't the strongest in the Tour.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Lol, in what world? Only when you need to have won the TDF. Then if you also need to have won a monument in this criteria, there's only Pogacar left.
There is agreement that Pogacar and Vingo are in their own category regard GTs.
Pogacar additionally has in MDVP his rival for classics.
Remco and Roglic are 2nd tier.

Again, I'm not stating that you should cherish only top tier riders. I'm only stating that arguing thus impoverishes cycling and that additionaly reasonable criteria can be found that would leave Remco out.

Reactions: OJRvE
There is agreement that Pogacar and Vingo are in their own category regard GTs.
Pogacar additionally has in MDVP his rival for classics.
Remco and Roglic are 2nd tier.

Again, I'm not stating that you should cherish only top tier riders. I'm only stating that arguing thus impoverishes cycling and that additionaly reasonable criteria can be found that would leave Remco out.
Right, the world champion and liege winner is not top tier in classics.

Reactions: proffate