• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The rider's tribute ride to a colleague and friend: Giro d'Italia Stage 4

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Fus087 said:
No idea if the nr. 108 should be retired from the Giro. They didn't do that with Casartelli, or Kivilev, or any other as far as I know. But that's no reason not to do it now.

I think because of the way the numbers run that wouldnt be done, but it would be nice if rcs were to allocate the 101 to 109 sequence to Leopard TREK each year. With a rider having the choice of 108 or 100.

Certainly think stage 3 should be, and will be dedicated to him each year.

Just wants to say that I think it was a really great way they did the stage.
Also good to see that Tyler Farrar was part of the Leopard Trek group while crossing the finish line, at one point I think it looked as if he'd fallen back but was called up again.

Can't help but thinking that maybe the guys were somewhat glad they were wearing sunglasses.

TeamSkyFans said:
I think because of the way the numbers run that wouldnt be done, but it would be nice if rcs were to allocate the 101 to 109 sequence to Leopard TREK each year. With a rider having the choice of 108 or 100.

leopard trek will vary and mutate over the coming years and may not even be around in 5 years, so I doubt the number idea would work.

the stage idea would be far better, as you suggest

luckyboy said:
Very touching.

Felt a bit silly telling my girlfriend that I have cried over a cyclist the past two days. She doesn't understand.

RIP Wouter

haven't mentioned it to the fiancee as she's half a world away, but must admit to struggling a little with this one, and not sure why exactly.
I've felt far more emotional than I have towards any other death I've experienced for some time - and I didn't even know Wouter.
Has been nice to come online several times over the past two days to just quietly be amongst others in the same boat.

Archibald said:
haven't mentioned it to the fiancee as she's half a world away, but must admit to struggling a little with this one, and not sure why exactly.
I've felt far more emotional than I have towards any other death I've experienced for some time - and I didn't even know Wouter.
Has been nice to come online several times over the past two days to just quietly be amongst others in the same boat.
When you see it happening live on TV it has a bigger impact.

Archibald said:

I'm terrible at dealing with death :(

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
SpannerBender said:
And for me a big hand of respect to David Millar on what should've been one of the biggest days in his cycling career. A selfless and very well conducted tribute.

+1.

Behaved like a true champion.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm also very grateful to this forum at this time. As a USA-resident, I don't know anyone IRL who follows cycling closely. It makes a difference to be able to share this time.

I have to say, if Vino were to (god forbid!!) have such an accident during the TdF I'm quite sure I'd have to take a day off of work to mourn. Try explaining that to your boss...

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
I watched the last moments of the stage at work on my phone, it was very touching & I did shed a tear or two when I saw Tyler was with the Leopard team. Classy touch.

Sorry for morbid humour!

CatsNK said:
I have to say, if Vino were to (god forbid!!) have such an accident during the TdF I'm quite sure I'd have to take a day off of work to mourn. Try explaining that to your boss...

"Sorry boss. I can't come to work today. My fave sports-person just passed away!"
"But did you know him personally?"
"No. But I still can't come to work!"

:rolleyes:

So often, high level professional sport can see the most venal & unpleasant aspects of human behavior in the spotlight. Today, we were fortunate to witness an example of the very finest .... I suspect this is a memory that will stick with us all.

Thank you to the riders, the race officials, the Italian fans on the road, the media and anyone else involved for making this stage such a moving, respectful tribute to Wouter Weylandt.

I'm usually pretty hard-nosed about that sort of thing, but today I caught a tear or two in my eyes too. :(

I'd like to express my deepest gratitude to the Italian Tifosi for this great gesture to pay homage to WW.....Grazie

giro-ditalia-stage-four-4

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Izzy eviel said:
I watched the last moments of the stage at work on my phone, it was very touching & I did shed a tear or two when I saw Tyler was with the Leopard team. Classy touch.

When he was younger Tyler wasn't prone to excesses of emotion unless he was congratulating a teammate . This had to be really hard and I'm sure he'd want the focus on WW as would everyone.

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
What a beautiful tribute. The tifosi were amazing, so respectful and out in their thousands. The peloton were dignified and David Harmon did a fantastic job; on what was a terrible day for the whole cycling community.

I shed a tear at the end, Tyler and the Leopards looked heartbroken.

Ciao Wouter.

TeamSkyFans said:

I certainly think that sometimes, the best tributes are the simple ones. Today struck just the right tone (RAI cutting to the slow-motion of his stage win last year and then the fade to black was a nice touch).

The Giro has always had a number of special separate trophies, and the Tour has had a few in its time too; I think it may be a nice idea to have the third stage each year give out its own individual prize called the Wouter Weylandt Trophy or something similar, similar to how the Clasica Amarante has been renamed the Memorial Bruno Neves after his death.

I don't know about retiring numbers. I hoped for Farrar to get to ride with Leopard at the end. I hoped for the fans to turn up in their droves despite the fact they knew they would see no racing. I hoped that the broadcast wasn't cancelled so that we may all see the neutralised procession, which I felt could say far more than a race ever could. I hoped that we'd see Weylandt's 2010 stage win. It was handled brilliantly and sensitively by all. The only thing that I had hoped would happen today that didn't was that I hoped for every single rider to wear race number 108 - though that may not have been practical or doable. The fans more than made up for that.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
if not appropriate can a mod please delete:

I thought people might like to know the autopsy report showed;

"Wouter Weylandt 'died instantly and did not suffer.The coroner Armando Mannucci said after autopsy on the body of Belgian cyclist who died yesterday at the third stage of the Tour of Italy in Rapallo. According to the medicolegal investigation, the lesions found on the corpse are compatible with the reconstruction the accident taken by traffic police.

According to the doctor, fatal to the rider and Belgian Wouter Weylandt 'was the projection of the body on the asphalt, which resulted in a cranial trauma face death, with injuries to the skull base, deep visceral lesions in addition to a broken leg and injuries to the pelvis."

I am happy to know it was instant there was no suffering for Wouter. As i said if not appropriate please delete immediately.