• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The ridicolous Contador vs Wiggins/Froome comparisons

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Old&slow said:
I doubt we will see the old Contador when he comes back.

Keep in mind if he gets caught cheating again its a life time ban. Which means a life time of bagging groceries for Contador. It would be long term financial suicide for him to tempt fate again. It will be interesting to see what he can do when he comes back. Hopefully he will live up to his word and retire.

Facepalm..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Old&slow said:
Keep in mind if he gets caught cheating again its a life time ban. Which means a life time of bagging groceries for Contador.

Plus where will he find a job in this economy?!

But I must agree with OP and even admit I miss Contador right now ...

May 31, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
No, not correct, read the resolution, hell even an article will do.

it is legal semantics. boils down to the same thing. he was caught with a prohibited substance in his body. thus he was banned, and rightly so.

Thee_chisa said:
exactly. 9 days of racing does not a tour make!

i don't like contador as i think he is a cheat, but i love to watch him ride. great climber but with a history. he needs to keep his nose clean now as he is only young and another +ve would see a lifetime ban - he isn't in piepoli's position. i think we saw the true contador in last year's tour. in that form he is eminently beatable, be it wiggins, schleck, froome, nibali, etc

Once again you fail to address my original concern with your continued choice to ignore the facts. How can the "true Contador" be the one that just finished and won a hard Giro? Is that ideal/typical prep for someone that wants to win the Tour, to also enter and try to win the hardest Giro in years?

Thee_chisa said:
exactly. 9 days of racing does not a tour make!

i don't like contador as i think he is a cheat, but i love to watch him ride. great climber but with a history. he needs to keep his nose clean now as he is only young and another +ve would see a lifetime ban - he isn't in piepoli's position. i think we saw the true contador in last year's tour. in that form he is eminently beatable, be it wiggins, schleck, froome, nibali, etc

What about the Giro, was he clean there?

Thee_chisa said:
it is legal semantics. boils down to the same thing. he was caught with a prohibited substance in his body. thus he was banned, and rightly so.

Most likely source of the clen was a contaminated supplement, steak theory and blood transfusion theory were equally unlikely, namely highly unlikely.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Thee_chisa said:

Have you not bothered to pay attention to why so many are motioning your chosen topic to the clinic? The clinic exists for topics such as this.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
it is legal semantics. boils down to the same thing.

It doesn't boil down to the same thing though. No evidence, no proof. But, You have your opinion and I'm not going to get into it with you in the wrong thread, or forum.

I'm going to move on from this.

I think if AC was in it this year it would be extremely tight.

Less ITT, more mountains, and AC would smoke him. Even just more Mountains.

Angliru said:
Have you not bothered to pay attention to why so many are motioning your chosen topic to the clinic? The clinic exists for topics such as this.

The non-racing related stuff has got completely out of hand.
I, for one am fed up with all the bickering, sour grape speculation
and all the other stuff that belongs over there.

A few bans handed out today, but clearly not enough.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Angliru said:

i agree, sorry. just sooooo easy to drop into doping talk with contador due to his situation :(

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
...What's up with that?

Don't forget that Contador made a fool out of a fully prepared Nibali in the Giro. That he eased away from Evans so many times uphill. Gaining +1 min with a serious attack. Even 1'30+ in not-topform TDF 2010 on guys like Vandenbroeck.
Now compare that to the Sky duo. Strong as they might seem, they can't shed Evans on a climb. Nibali lost what, 8 seconds on 200m sprint? And JvdBroeck attack on saturday put Froome and Wiggins on the limit...
Contador rode away from that same guy with ease when he wasn't in ultimate shape in TDF 2010. Who are we kidding?

Contador uphill is in another league than Wiggins or Froome. And I doubt he would lose more than 40 seconds on Wiggins in a topform in an ITT.

Discuss

+1. About time someone said this, esp. with the mass hysteria in the clinic. Brad. and Froome were definitely on the edge yesterday with Van den Broeck's injection of pace. And we all know what Bertie can do there.

Good post, Dekker-Tifosi.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
+1. About time someone said this, esp. with the mass hysteria in the clinic. Brad. and Froome were definitely on the edge yesterday with Van den Broeck's injection of pace. And we all know what Bertie can do there.

Good post, Dekker-Tifosi.

Well, I think that even Contador would have difficulty with the Sky duo. I think he would lose over a minute in each time trial and that he would find it hard to distance himself from Wiggins and Froome on climbs. Oh, I'm sure he could gain some time on them, but not that much and when you add up the time trials and the mountain finishes, it would be quite close in Paris.

Which isn't the least bit out the ordinary, since this Tour was made for guys like Wiggins and Froome, so it was to be expected that they would be able to compete with Contador.

If they had made it an ordinary Tour, more for the likes of climbers, than Contador would defeat them easily. But not this year.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Praetor said:
If they had made it an ordinary Tour, more for the likes of climbers, than Contador would defeat them easily. But not this year.

Yes, agree, Praetor. Maybe not easily, but he could put a minute into them on big climbs and hold it.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
The non-racing related stuff has got completely out of hand.
I, for one am fed up with all the bickering, sour grape speculation
and all the other stuff that belongs over there.

A few bans handed out today, but clearly not enough.

What? Are some forumites EPOing themselves round here?

TRENDING THREADS