• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ineos probably did get him for unders as he was so desperate to leave Bahrain-Merida due to his issues with their bikes and gear. He was also at the time viewed as fragile and potentially unreliable.

Has returned to previous level pretty much and also boosted value with high level superdom climbing.

Can see why UAE would consider it worth throwing cash at him to strengthen the support set up for Pogacar.

Yep, put Dennis to UAE and you can just hand trophies to Pogacar in advance. They are only missing engine like Rohan, someone who can do it in all terrain for long period.

I am wondering how much is he worth? It must be above 1M I would imagine. I mean how many other riders can ride on flats for hours, and at the same time drop all mountain goats but two on Stelvio?

'I noticed when I was with Ineos that they were copying Jumbo with a lot of stuff' says Australian
How does he know that Ineos was copying JV before going to JV? It could also be reverse or independently similar as well. it mostly looks like sour grapes as he did not do a GT in 2021 or get a new better contract with Ineos
The fact that he did not do the Tour in 2021 and he was in the training camp is mind boggling. There has to be something with this guy. It cannot be all related with performance.

All I know is that in the Tour of 2020 JV tried to copy Sky and Ineos from the years before, but did it worse.

There are two things to be said about that.

First one being JV did copy the "train" approach. Saying they did it worse then Ineos is in my opinion not the right conclusion. The whole season was an extremely dominant display of this approach. It turned out that using this approach is not enough to win a race. Hence they dropped this approach.

Second one being most people are way to negative. In regards to what Dennis said. What he actually did is he gave credit where the credit's due. That is JV is currently the team in the peloton others try to copy the most.

Nothing wrong with that.

You lost me when your wrote "That is JV is currently the team in the peloton others try to copy the most. " When did that happen? I don't think anybody is trying to copy them. And I agree when JV tried to copy Ineos/Sky formula during the Tour 2020 only to backfired at the end. And that formula has been there since the nineties. If someone invented that it was probably US Postal. Nothing to be proud of to be honest.

You lost me when your wrote "That is JV is currently the team in the peloton others try to copy the most. " When did that happen?

Dennis would likely know best. When it comes to the actual dates.

I don't think anybody is trying to copy them.

Likely due to the influence of Pogačar. That is Pogačar currently masks the whole idea about having a good team. On how that is or is not all that important. Just look beyond that and tell me in which team would you currently like to be in if you had a choice. And you would be their main GT GC option.

And I agree when JV tried to copy Ineos/Sky formula during the Tour 2020 only to backfired at the end. And that formula has been there since the nineties. If someone invented that it was probably US Postal. Nothing to be proud of to be honest.

Year 2020 was not only about the Tour. The "train" approach was demonstrated on more races than one. On Tour it didn't really backfire. It did what it supposed to do. Crushed Ineos (among others). Pogačar was never really their main target. For Pogačar you need a different approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Dennis is honest saying that but I feel he refers more to TT preparation and sorts of marginal gains than tactics, also maybe in preparation and high altitude training in which Jumbo crearly beat Ineos after lockdown, also UAE prepared Pogi better than Ineos did with their leaders, peharps the signing of Te Plus was in that regardfor example of find out tye Jumbo methods.
In 2021 was maybe more of an equal battle but is not bad to remenber that Vingegaard as B option beat Carapaz in the Tour with both team having bad luck but Jumbo more wiht the loss of primoz.

In short, my feeling is that Ineos no longer has the upper hand in terms of perfomance preparation and knowledge compared to some teams among which Jumbo is, perhaps it is even the other way around, but their enormous economic superiority and therefore greater depth in their squad makes them even things out in terms of overall results for the season.

Reactions: Luthor
There are two things to be said about that.

First one being JV did copy the "train" approach. Saying they did it worse then Ineos is in my opinion not the right conclusion. The whole season was an extremely dominant display of this approach. It turned out that using this approach is not enough to win a race. Hence they dropped this approach.

Second one being most people are way to negative. In regards to what Dennis said. What he actually did is he gave credit where the credit's due. That is JV is currently the team in the peloton others try to copy the most.

Nothing wrong with that.
Too bad both those things aren't true. You seem to think that you have to agree with everything and anything JV does just because you're a fan of Roglic. Being a bit more critical wouldn't hurt you or them.

Last edited:
Dennis would likely know best. When it comes to the actual dates.
Year 2020 was not only about the Tour. The "train" approach was demonstrated on more races than one. On Tour it didn't really backfire. It did what it supposed to do. Crushed Ineos (among others). Pogačar was never really their main target. For Pogačar you need a different approach.

Yet Ineos (Sky) was doing the crushing in 2018. The team that crushed the 2018 TdF is the greatest demonstration of the train since USPS. The best climbers in the world were powerless when even the likes of Michal Kwiatkowski could set an interminable pace on HC climbs to set the platform for their GC leaders to finish the job. Riders like Porte and Wout Poels were doing it before then.

It very simply comes back to who has the strongest riders. IMHO JV have never looked stronger than when WvA was pulling the train and seeing the defending champ dropped on a MTF. But that was still below what Skyneos have demonstrated. And I say this as a fan of neither team.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS