• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sam Bennett Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sagan should be able to out score Bennett on that intermediate, but it’s very hard to see it being 20 - 0. Bora would have to prevent a break, drop Bennett, but not go so fast that they effectively are attacking, not then have DQS chase back, not get done over by Trentin, not have attackers go over the top of them etc. Possible, but very hard to pull off.

Last edited:
Reactions: JosephK
He is in pretty good condition. Good he really win MSR next month?

In theory a flat race with a couple of hills at the end should be prime territory for him and he’s clearly feeling good so it’s not impossible. But the fact is he’s never really been in contention at MSR and it‘snot that common for it to end in anything like a big group sprint these days.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He needs a strong headwind on the Cipressa and Poggio to keep the Puncheurs under control. If a group of 30-40 arrives at the Via Roma, he should be strong enough to be among them, especially with Quickstep working for him.

The question is will they be working for him, or for Alaphilippe? (and the answer is "probably Alaphilippe")

I feel there's way too many really strong classics guys these days who'll fancy their chances for it to come together for a sprint.... One can live in hope though.
Agreed, the thing shaping San Remo (and the sprinter’s chances to win) is the presence of a set of ultra-elite puncheurs (Alaphillipe, Van Aert, MVDP, Sagan if he could back to his old self) who are also excellent descenders. Even though everyone knows what’s coming, when they take off near the top of the Poggio it’s hard for anyone else to stay with them.

He needs a strong headwind on the Cipressa and Poggio to keep the Puncheurs under control. If a group of 30-40 arrives at the Via Roma, he should be strong enough to be among them, especially with Quickstep working for him.

The question is will they be working for him, or for Alaphilippe? (and the answer is "probably Alaphilippe")

Ballerini is down to ride MSR as well.
Would be a formidable lead-out (viz. Nizzolo at the Euros) but then again he's another option for the win.

Noone goes as fast on the Poggio as Alaphilippe, so it's hard to not ride for him. Bennett and Ballerini both have to try their best to hang on in case Alaphilippe gets caught.

Noone goes as fast on the Poggio as Alaphilippe, so it's hard to not ride for him. Bennett and Ballerini both have to try their best to hang on in case Alaphilippe gets caught.
Van Aert went as fast as him last year, a bunch of guys went with him the year before, and he barely hung on when Sagan and Kwiatkowski attacked.

But yes, when Alaf inevitably attacks on the Poggio, and someone goes with him, it will help him to have the insurance option of “I have 2 in-form sprinters in my team in the peloton, so you’d better pull with me if you want this attack to succeed.”

In terms of this thread, the crucial point is that Sam has never made it to the Via Roma in a group with anything to sprint for.

Van Aert went as fast as him last year, a bunch of guys went with him the year before, and he barely hung on when Sagan and Kwiatkowski attacked.

But yes, when Alaf inevitably attacks on the Poggio, and someone goes with him, it will help him to have the insurance option of “I have 2 in-form sprinters in my team in the peloton, so you’d better pull with me if you want this attack to succeed.”

In terms of this thread, the crucial point is that Sam has never made it to the Via Roma in a group with anything to sprint for.

You're kidding right? I suggest you rewatch the footage ;)

Your first paragraph couldn't be more wrong.

TRENDING THREADS