• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Secret Pro

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 20, 2010
Visit site
Remember that this pieces are ghost-written, so no need for a native speaker. Go through few of his first entries and you'll know who is hiding behind The Secret Pro.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Agreed on multiples.

Yep. i go with a hack talking to a few Anglo pros and putting the article together to come across as 1 pro. Probably the pros dont even know they are being used for the article.

Re:

Electress said:
I think it is multiple views stitched together with lots of fake references thrown in for good measure. The tone seems Aussie to me, but i think that's the ghost writing.
The whole history of TSP has been very Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!. I find it unreadable for that reason - as Nick C. pointed out it makes it seem like they're pushing an agenda, which makes them easier to dismiss as biased and detracts from those good points they make.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
multiple riders contribute.

it should be called "The Secret Pros". not short for lady of the night, tho that would work equally well.

it was first the dutch guy with the australian girlfriend//fiancee/wife. he rode with rabo epoirs, and he won the GP Eddy Merckx, the two up timetrial, with Thomas Dekker, when they were riding for the u23 team, so would have been 20/21/22, and they beeat the pros and veteran pros in the GP Eddy Merckx. Allbeit, not the highest of status races, and even when the pro timetrialists were gearing up for the professional worlds they would do DP des Nations or some other tt. no, not that race, the French tt, GP des NAtions is the tt in the 90s which was the defacto world tt champs.

anyway, he won that with Thomas Dekker, albeit, not the highest professional class off timetrialists, but there were good pros, think Chavanel might have always been included in a Cofidis team, and Jens was likely to be there with his team, but they were not the riders who would be on the podium for the worlds in a months time. But for 20 or 21yo?
NOT NORMAL.

then he went to Liberty Seguros. Then he went to the Skil team where he is now, whatever this current iteration from the sponsor is called.

so originally the secret pro was him. See in about 2009, Wade took a GoPro digital video cam of him going around the Geelong 2010 World Championships course.

Re:

blackcat said:
multiple riders contribute.

it should be called "The Secret Pros". not short for lady of the night, tho that would work equally well.

it was first the dutch guy with the australian girlfriend//fiancee/wife. he rode with rabo epoirs, and he won the GP Eddy Merckx, the two up timetrial, with Thomas Dekker, when they were riding for the u23 team, so would have been 20/21/22, and they beeat the pros and veteran pros in the GP Eddy Merckx. Allbeit, not the highest of status races, and even when the pro timetrialists were gearing up for the professional worlds they would do DP des Nations or some other tt. no, not that race, the French tt, GP des NAtions is the tt in the 90s which was the defacto world tt champs.

anyway, he won that with Thomas Dekker, albeit, not the highest professional class off timetrialists, but there were good pros, think Chavanel might have always been included in a Cofidis team, and Jens was likely to be there with his team, but they were not the riders who would be on the podium for the worlds in a months time. But for 20 or 21yo?

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=13466
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=726

that's the creme de la creme in tt'ing back then

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Billie said:

definitely correct Billie, i was wrong, my memory failed me.

lol, Moreau Wiggins in 15th? can someone pls remind me who just got the hour?

I always thought Lazlo Bodrogi was gonna win a Worlds. never did, and only one or two podiums. Gonchar Honchar bloody cyrillic transliterations and dimunitives, he won one or two Worlds around the mid-late 80s... around the time of Ullrich, my point was gonna be Peschel and Rich never won a won a worlds on Gerolsteiner, but Grabsch pops up in a two year period and wins Worlds on of those years, like Kim Kirchen miraculously developed the ability to timetrial when he had never demonstrated the physical aptitude, Schumacher like Gonchar Honchar wins the two TdF timetrials... think the tt is more than most a function of your blood parameters

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

mrhender said:
It is a shame that we need "Secret Pro" to do the insinuations journos dare not?
but they still manage to hide alot and push an agenda and still do the popular meme in the media which excoriates some as "bad apples" like Ullrich.

I would really like the secret pro to ask or interview Tyler Farrar about the 2009ish giro where Cav was dropped for the gruppetto over a HC climb in a stage which would have caused him to get disqualified, because he would have been behind the time limit, but he hung on the High Road/Columbia team car, and he got back on, and the gruppetto managed to combine with the front group with a field sprint, and Cav won the stage, and Farrar was second, so I wanna know how Tyler feels about that.

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Whoever he is, he is a native English speaker, far better educated and intelligent than many cycling pros. He writes very well and uses grammar correctly, by and large. In Australia these days, sadly that almost invariably means a private school education, or educated and motivated parents.

Re:

Froomster said:
Whoever he is, he is a native English speaker, far better educated and intelligent than many cycling pros. He writes very well and uses grammar correctly, by and large. In Australia these days, sadly that almost invariably means a private school education, or educated and motivated parents.

I think the journalist who is ghost writing the piece fits that description.

Regardless of its agenda, its still good to read. Interesting to see the Contador praise in the context of the article.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
if you want the riders who have contributed? go the the Jayco Bay Crits or Jayco Bay Cycling Classic, and look at the pros names. Hendo would be a good one. p'raps Zakeen Hansen. maybe even in the past, 2013 if if exist, Matt Lloyd. Guys who have contributed either copy or quotes to Wade and CT.

who cares anyway, it is still pushing an agenda, and is not the whole truth, it is a limited hangout, it seeks to build a credulity and authenticity in the reader, but its still an overarching fiction. easy to dispute some riders like ricky riccio, and praise the good dopers. and dope yourself, whilst disputing validity of teams like Liberty Seguros and Saunier Duval.

Well no one has every queried the Myacera positives of CSC Tiscali in 2007. I think they had left the Tiscali sponsor by then, but who gives. What happened to those myacera positives? Hein? Pat? what happened. sports a joke.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Feels inauthentic for a pro to call out a single team like that. A pro rider would be asking about the Astana's program and why his team's didn't match it. I don't necessarily need to read a rider moaning that there weren't enough easy days in the saddle during a GT. The only thing I personally found agreement with was the characterization of the race as basically boring, although I would use the word "tedious."

Look, Secret Pro(s), whoever you are (if you exist): you showed up at the Giro looking to train and one of the other doped up professional teams decided to race every stage. HTFU, beef up your program, or go home.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

skippythepinhead said:
Look, Secret Pro(s), whoever you are (if you exist): you showed up at the Giro looking to train and one of the other doped up professional teams decided to race every stage. HTFU, beef up your program, or go home.

great post.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The Secret pro is just a butthurt anglophone clown, when Sky dominated the Tour he praised them and defended Froome against all the doping talk, it's just the same crap as most anglophone cycling media.

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject, so I read the article and thought "Good, I hope they made you feel like you wanted to puke every day," because you helped bring is back to full-throttle by pretending that all those English speakers from the queen's realm have squeaky clean a$$holes, and ignoring the truth.

Walsh of the peloton indeed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:
I think it is multiple views stitched together with lots of fake references thrown in for good measure. The tone seems Aussie to me, but i think that's the ghost writing.
Wade is a native Canuck.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
Mayomaniac said:
The Secret pro is just a butthurt anglophone clown, when Sky dominated the Tour he praised them and defended Froome against all the doping talk, it's just the same crap as most anglophone cycling media.

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject, so I read the article and thought "Good, I hope they made you feel like you wanted to puke every day," because you helped bring is back to full-throttle by pretending that all those English speakers from the queen's realm have squeaky clean a$$holes, and ignoring the truth.

Walsh of the peloton indeed.

We know from April Macy that Prance had one of those to pucker up to.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
How hard can it be to identify the guy (if he is indeed a pro)? Personally I can't be bothered to dig through all his drivel, but from that last article I gather it's a rider who finished the Giro on a team with an American sponsor and who will probably start the Tour. That already narrows it down a lot. Unless of course he's lying about riding the Giro to throw us off... in which case, why are his blog posts of any interest? It's not like he provides any interesting perspectives on the scene. I mean, we all know Anglos don't dope, Astana is taking the piss, bla bla bla.