• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The sign of a true tinkerer/mechanic is - hoarding!

I must confess to you all now- I am a hoarder of stuff/parts that may (or may not) come in handy at some point. (Be it bike parts, lawn mower parts, plumbing parts... I just can't part with them!)

People I live with are not fond of this, but the way I see it is I'd rather have a used (but still functional) part ready than having to go to the store and having to buy a whole new one.

Any of you fellow hoarders out there? (Surely I am not alone in this particular "disease".)

To a certain extent yes and it extends into other hobbies too. I have 3 suspension forks of differing quality (and travel) lying around in case I need them. I've saved handlebars and stems just in case and even old worn sprockets and cassettes as an "emergency stop gap". Recently I've given away a fair few things that are useless to me, but they have to be really useless before I'll do that!

There's a really cool used bike parts shop downtown here in Eugene (they'll also recycle any old parts for free), nowadays I go there only if I'm absolutely missing something, or if I need to recycle something.

Right now I just like to hold on to any usable old parts (I do have a system where I keep the plumbing parts away from the bike parts), to the untrained eye this may look like trash. But to me it's just a highly organized re-usable mess. :)

not%20trash.jpg

I have things like chains, tyres, inner tubes cassettes all lying around in the garage and shed. Other things include a small box of dust caps which have been taken off because I don't use them.

Not mechanic related, but still cycling related, I have a whole pile waters bottles that are used, broken or unused. Mainly because of being given them at sportives/races or by pro riders after races. None of them were actually bought.

Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
Not mechanic related, but still cycling related, I have a whole pile waters bottles that are used, broken or unused. Mainly because of being given them at sportives/races or by pro riders after races. None of them were actually bought.
See now, I can understand you holding on to whole bottles, but the broken ones?

Dude, unless you're hoping to extract some chemicals/DNA from them to check for doping I'm not sure there is any kind of market for them. (Except for your own memories I'm not sure they'll be of worth to anyone else. :()

But congratulations - you're a hoarder! :D

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
lemon cheese cake said:
See now, I can understand you holding on to whole bottles, but the broken ones?

Dude, unless you're hoping to extract some chemicals/DNA from them to check for doping I'm not sure there is any kind of market for them. (Except for your own memories I'm not sure they'll be of worth to anyone else. :()

But congratulations - you're a hoarder! :D
Time is spent in doing other things, for example using the the "working" bottles when cycling. So no time to throw them away. ;)

May 28, 2019
Visit site
I must confess to you all now- I am a hoarder of stuff/parts that may (or may not) come in handy at some point. (Be it bike parts, lawn mower parts, plumbing parts... I just can't part with them!)

People I live with are not fond of this, but the way I see it is I'd rather have a used (but still functional) part ready than having to go to the store and having to buy a whole new one.

Any of you fellow hoarders out there? (Surely I am not alone in this particular "disease".)
With respect, I'd suggest a different angle:
  1. The sign of a true hoarder, is hoarding.
  2. Hoarders may make arguments to rationalise or deny their hoarding behaviour: "I'm a true tinkerer/mechanic", etc.

FYI, you're more accurate than you think when you call it a disease; Hoarding disorder (F42.3) was added to the DSM-5. However, such things are a spectrum, and mild hoarding of a few mechanical parts is probably low on that spectrum, if that's all it's limited to, and stays limited to. However, the fact that it causes distress to your cohabitants might be something to take note of.

With respect, I'd suggest a different angle:

1. The sign of a true hoarder, is hoarding.
  2. Hoarders may make arguments to rationalise or deny their hoarding behaviour: "I'm a true tinkerer/mechanic", etc.
FYI, you're more accurate than you think when you call it a disease; Hoarding disorder (F42.3) was added to the DSM-5. However, such things are a spectrum, and mild hoarding of a few mechanical parts is probably low on that spectrum, if that's all it's limited to, and stays limited to. However, the fact that it causes distress to your cohabitants might be something to take note of.
Never mind, dumb post on my part.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS