• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridiculous they can get

Page 70 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

samhocking said:
Think you're assuming wrongly that Sky would actually reveal their marginal gains? We get to hear about what can be said for the marketing department, not what actually makes a difference in my opinion. People take that as being non-transparent, I take it as simply business sense. I would never reveal the secrets to my company success just because people ask. Knowledge is my unique asset, there would be no way I would just reveal what I worked so hard for. I'd reveal the stuff I know makes some difference, but available to my competitors anyway. The stuff that truly makes me unique I would not even sell to a competitor.

Doping generally is not talked about openly by teams, no.

samhocking said:
Think you're assuming wrongly that Sky would actually reveal their marginal gains? We get to hear about what can be said for the marketing department, not what actually makes a difference in my opinion. People take that as being non-transparent, I take it as simply business sense. I would never reveal the secrets to my company success just because people ask. Knowledge is my unique asset, there would be no way I would just reveal what I worked so hard for. I'd reveal the stuff I know makes some difference, but available to my competitors anyway. The stuff that truly makes me unique I would not even sell to a competitor.

I think any rational person knows exactly what the marginal gains are we just don't know the ingredients.

samhocking said:

When Sky initially pledged transparency and then fed us all the marginal gains BS, most of us saw through it all . So now Sky just act arrogant and ridicule anyone that questions their holier than thou status.

samhocking said:
I would never reveal the secrets to my company success just because people ask.

That’s why I’m a scientist and not a businessman. Scientists want their discoveries to help everyone. Businessmen want to enrich themselves.

Knowledge is my unique asset, there would be no way I would just reveal what I worked so hard for.

The joy is in being the first to know something, not being the only one to know.

The stuff that truly makes me unique I would not even sell to a competitor.

The stuff that truly makes us unique can't be described in words. It's not something that can be sold.

Merckx index said:
samhocking said:

That’s why I’m a scientist and not a businessman. Scientists want their discoveries to help everyone. Businessmen want to enrich themselves.

Knowledge is my unique asset, there would be no way I would just reveal what I worked so hard for.

The joy is in being the first to know something, not being the only one to know.

The stuff that truly makes us unique can't be described in words. It's not something that can be sold.
Excellent, MI. Thank you

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

ontheroad said:
samhocking said:

I think any rational person knows exactly what the marginal gains are we just don't know the ingredients.
It would actually be interesting to know what kind of juice it's used. It's really crazy that since 2012 they are turning losers into champions and real champions like Nibali and Quintana have not figured out yet what is going on.

Merckx index said:
samhocking said:

I'm talking about professional sport, not the medical profession. There's nothing altruistic about sport or its existence in the first place. Its a business if it's sponsored. Pro Cycling exists because a business requires a ROI, just like a business requires a ROI for any investment and you don't give your competitor anything. I'm not even sure what your point is MI other than the obvious?

Sam - are you from the US? I ask because nearly the entire US medical profession, most all health care, not to mention the pharmaceutical industry is run in a capitalist, for-profit environment.

Put another way, I don't know Merckx personally, but we've both been here for some time, I believe he's a retired research PhD from Stanford university who likely spent most of his career at the front end of research, running tests, in labs, studying results over and over, much before any product was released to the capitalist world.

Put another way, you looked at the mindset of the pharmaceutical companies dealing with capitalism, while he was taking the position of independent scientific research and development, long before markets and profits had anything to do with anything.

I know the angle MI is getting at. But cycling is not saving lives, there is no altruistic element within a cycling team to inform other cycling teams or fans what makes them ride a bike faster. Some will see it as not being transparent, but I would say it's simply common sense to only tell what everyone already knows makes you ride a bike faster and for marketing that is more than enough. Take SIS's latest advertorial for example. Clearly that didn't win Froomes Giro, but the marginal gain they use is Froome has their latest prototype energy drink to make the fuelling strategy work. It's all marketing, but many in the clinic view marginal gain claims as if that is everything Sky are doing. Clearly they are not going to tell anyone, even their own riders how they are riding faster, that is their knowledge to use internally, nobody elses business.

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site

samhocking said:

I'd say everything we hear out of Sky is marketing BS.
The truth is they have managed to dial up the perfect combination of $$$, pharmacology and political reach to be able to achieve their desire of winning grand tours at will.
They just need to pick a rider and strap them in for the ride.
It's all just a little bit of Deja vu.

Yes, I see your point. Marketing certainly feeds the spoils of capitalism. They are there to win, and make money. Who they tell and how is always going to be a secret, especially if it's by nefarious means.

The proof is always in the pudding though. As someone once noted, despite stripping him of his wins and the public backlash, Lance Armstrong still stood on the podium in Paris seven times. He is still a multi-millionare.

Merckx index said:
samhocking said:

This is a silly comparison. Yes, you’ll happily share your discovery, as a publication. Once the discovery is made and published you’ve made your “currency” from it and you’re on to the next thing. It’s completely different to someone running a business.

King Boonen said:
Merckx index said:
samhocking said:

This is a silly comparison. Yes, you’ll happily share your discovery, as a publication. Once the discovery is made and published you’ve made your “currency” from it and you’re on to the next thing. It’s completely different to someone running a business.
Thomas Jefferson would disagree with you

veganrob said:
King Boonen said:
Merckx index said:
samhocking said:

Thomas Jefferson would disagree with you
Sorry, I don’t understand that at all.