• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Symbolic Politics of Pat McQuaid

How much longer is this CONMAN gona remain in his 'job' ??

This timeline sums him up.

http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/39099695780/the-symbolic-politics-of-pat-mcquaid

The Symbolic Politics of Pat McQuaid

“He was banned from entering the 1976 Olympics after being caught racing in South Africa, in contravention of the anti-apartheid sporting boycott. He had entered the race using a false name, but was identified after being photographed by a press photographer.”
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McQuaid

Pats own thread - dish the dirt

I thought he warranted his own thread. So how to get rid of him - force his resignation. Has anyone addressed this ?

His co-conspirators are as follows...or wimps...whichever hat fits.

Management Committee

President
Mr Pat McQUAID
IRL

Vice-Presidents
Mr Hee Wook CHO
KOR

Mr Renato DI ROCCO
ITA

Mr Artur LOPES
POR
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Members[/font]
Mr Mohamed Wagih AZZAM
EGY
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr Daniel BAAL[/font]
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]FRA[/font]

[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr José Manuel PELAEZhttp://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=p&id=MTI2NzY[/font]
CUB

Mrs Tracey Gaudry
AUS
Mr Sheikh Faisal Bin Humaid AL QASSIMI
UAE

Mr Brian COOKSON
GBR
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr David LAPPARTIENT[/font]
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]FRA[/font]
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr Mohamed Jamel LOUAFI[/font]
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TUN[/font]
[font=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mr Igor Viktorovich MAKAROV[/font]
RUS
Mr Peder PEDERSEN
DEN

Mr Mike PLANT
USA
Honorary President
Mr Hein VERBRUGGEN
NED
Honorary Vice-presidents
Mr Ray GODKIN
AUS

Mr Vladimir HOLECEK
CZE

Mr Agostino OMINI
ITA

Who is Brian Cookson when he's at home ? apart from a club rider ??? unbelieveable. We should start petitioning thses members from respective countries.

Cycle Chic said:
I thought he warranted his own thread. So how to get rid of him - force his resignation. Has anyone addressed this ?

His co-conspirators are as follows...or wimps...whichever hat fits.

Management Committee

Who is Brian Cookson when he's at home ? apart from a club rider ??? unbelieveable. We should start petitioning thses members from respective countries.

He did become a landscape gardener as well :rolleyes:

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
He's been involved in organisation of races such as the Milk Race and Tour of Britain as well as an international commissaire since the early 80s. He was the person who turned the virtually bankrupt BCF around, building the foundations for what is now BC. I think you'll find he's eminently qualified for his position.

http://www.bc-nw.co.uk/pdf/AGM 2012/Brian Cookson CV_12.pdf

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
ultimobici said:
He's been involved in organisation of races such as the Milk Race and Tour of Britain as well as an international commissaire since the early 80s. He was the person who turned the virtually bankrupt BCF around, building the foundations for what is now BC. I think you'll find he's eminently qualified for his position.

http://www.bc-nw.co.uk/pdf/AGM 2012/Brian Cookson CV_12.pdf
Selling his soul to the devil, that must be good for Hein and Pat.

That list of committee members is just laughable. Korea, Egypt, Unified Arabic or what it is called, UK, Tunesia, USA, Russia, Danmark, Portugal and last but not least Czechia: real cycling nations.
Where is the Kenian representative, seems he is the expert on bilharzia.

It is just like FIFA, old boys network mafia. Never rode a bike those ....holes.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Selling his soul to the devil, that must be good for Hein and Pat.

That list of committee members is just laughable. Korea, Egypt, Unified Arabic or what it is called, UK, Tunesia, USA, Russia, Danmark, Portugal and last but not least Czechia: real cycling nations.
Where is the Kenian representative, seems he is the expert on bilharzia.

It is just like FIFA, old boys network mafia. Never rode a bike those ....holes.

I guess these nations don't pass the pure blood test for you.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

What is the "International" in UCI supposed to stand for? Just Western Europe I suppose.

Why shouldn't the regional federations have representation on the international management committee?

peterst6906 said:
What is the "International" in UCI supposed to stand for? Just Western Europe I suppose.

Why shouldn't the regional federations have representation on the international management committee?

Yes, but.

But, is the mandate in conflict?

Is the UCI the cycling equivalent of the UN, the IOC, or the NFL? All of them?

If you don't have any riders in the Pro Peloton, then how do you qualify for cycling spots in the Olympics? Pretty hard to accomplish.

e.g. Canada - 5 Pro Peloton participants, one Grand Tour winner = one slot in the Men's Road Race.

When it comes to the biggest problems in the sport - i.e. fraud and doping - then how does representation from the 'lesser' players help or obstruct a resolution to this problem?

If, for example, the IOC banned cycling the following would happen:
- The Grand Tours and Classics would almost certainly continue
- the NSO's for most countries would lose their primary source of funding

If the IOC then re-instated cycling, only those countries that could continue supporting their cyclists (i.e. the Euros) would have national programs that continued to develop younger cyclists.

The countries at the bottom of the Pro Peloton list rely more on their IOC (and UCI) support than do those at the top of the list. They typically have very little power within the sport, even if they are represented on the Committee.

These countries should be the most concerned about doping, but are also those with the most to lose. They have a fundamental conflict - they can object and jeopardize what little status they have within the UCI. Or, they can vote as 'yes' men.

History instructs us that they will be yes men.

Dave.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Yes, but.

But, is the mandate in conflict?

Is the UCI the cycling equivalent of the UN, the IOC, or the NFL? All of them?

If you don't have any riders in the Pro Peloton, then how do you qualify for cycling spots in the Olympics? Pretty hard to accomplish.

e.g. Canada - 5 Pro Peloton participants, one Grand Tour winner = one slot in the Men's Road Race.

When it comes to the biggest problems in the sport - i.e. fraud and doping - then how does representation from the 'lesser' players help or obstruct a resolution to this problem?

If, for example, the IOC banned cycling the following would happen:
- The Grand Tours and Classics would almost certainly continue
- the NSO's for most countries would lose their primary source of funding

If the IOC then re-instated cycling, only those countries that could continue supporting their cyclists (i.e. the Euros) would have national programs that continued to develop younger cyclists.

The countries at the bottom of the Pro Peloton list rely more on their IOC (and UCI) support than do those at the top of the list. They typically have very little power within the sport, even if they are represented on the Committee.

These countries should be the most concerned about doping, but are also those with the most to lose. They have a fundamental conflict - they can object and jeopardize what little status they have within the UCI. Or, they can vote as 'yes' men.

History instructs us that they will be yes men.

Dave.

Cycling is more than 1 dimensional.

Pro-peleton, so what?

Track, Cyclo-cross, BMX, Mountain Biking.

In almost all of these, the distribution of countries I suspect would be the same, but why the focus only on the pro-road discipline?

The UCI is not the cycling equivalent of the UN, but it's certainly more than western and southern Europe; and if countries want to develop teams for the olympics, then their region should be able to have a voice in the decision making (however superficial and ineffective that voice may be at the moment because of the problems at the top of the UCI).

peterst6906 said:
Cycling is more than 1 dimensional.

Pro-peleton, so what?

Track, Cyclo-cross, BMX, Mountain Biking.

In almost all of these, the distribution of countries I suspect would be the same, but why the focus only on the pro-road discipline?

The UCI is not the cycling equivalent of the UN, but it's certainly more than western and southern Europe; and if countries want to develop teams for the olympics, then their region should be able to have a voice in the decision making (however superficial and ineffective that voice may be at the moment because of the problems at the top of the UCI).

Um. Where does the money come from?

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
del1962 said:
I guess these nations don't pass the pure blood test for you.
Good call.
Who brings home the bacon? Cyclo cross? BMX? Mountainbiking? Or is it that great track?

No sir.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Good call.Who brings home the bacon? Cyclo cross? BMX? Mountainbiking? Or is it that great track?

No sir.

I must admit to being at a loss to see how the money is relevant to this debate. This started as a discussion from post #6 about who should be on the UCI management committee, with your apparent view that some countries and/or regions don't have sufficient pedigree to have a seat.

Load of crap. Country of birth isn't relevant to ability to contribute to cycling.

Maybe they should go back to the old practice and distrubute the votes on the number of Veledrones a nation has,

And in other news the FA should be put in charge of all football everywhere, we can't have non traditional football narions like Switzerland and France having heads of governing bodies, and what's a Belgium doing running the IOC, how many Golds have they won on the track recently.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Load of crap. Country of birth isn't relevant to ability to contribute to cycling.
So, people from cycling nations like Korea, Tunesia and all those traditional cycling nations aren't there just to say 'Yes Pathein, yes Pathein, yes Pathein'?

Apart from the money, these people have absolutely nothing to do in cycling. Their only function is to merchandize the sport on a global scale.

The old boys network, apart from the usual exception.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
So, people from cycling nations like Korea, Tunesia and all those traditional cycling nations aren't there just to say 'Yes Pathein, yes Pathein, yes Pathein'?

They may very well be, but that has to do with individual corruption, not birth instilling the right to have a say.

In any case, post your evidence away that any of those don't have legitimate claims to be part of the management committee.

Oh no wait, don't do that. Just sling mud without any proof other than that they are from countries you don't consider should have any say in the direction of cycling.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Of those listed, which ones come from countries that should have a say?

1. UK - well the earlier discussion seems to show a legit claim. Or is the UK too small in cycling?
2. Australia - or does Gaudry not deserve a say as the Oceania rep?
3. USA - a lot of recent discussion on here has shown USAC to be so clean and honest?
4. Korea - oops, no. It seems Asia isn't good enough?
5. Italy - surely?
6. Portugal - oops, nope. Vice President of the European Cycling Union is from a small country. Can't possibly represent the interests of the EUC?
7. Denmark - oops no. Multiple gold medal winner at Worlds, Police Superintendent and representative for amateurs. No, that's just crap. He has nothing to do with the pro-peleton so can't possibly have any positive impact on cycling?
8. Cuba - oops no. The President of the Pan-American Cycling Fed can't possibly represent the interests of central and south america; and anyway what has that part of the World ever done for cycling. Get rid of him. Just a patsy clearly?

and on and on and on. Sorry, if not from the right country, then out despite any other real reason for being on the management board.

peterst6906 said:
Of those listed, which ones come from countries that should have a say?

1. UK - well the earlier discussion seems to show a legit claim. Or is the UK too small in cycling?
2. Australia - or does Gaudry not deserve a say as the Oceania rep?
3. USA - a lot of recent discussion on here has shown USAC to be so clean and honest?
4. Korea - oops, no. It seems Asia isn't good enough?
5. Italy - surely?
6. Portugal - oops, nope. Vice President of the European Cycling Union is from a small country. Can't possibly represent the interests of the EUC?
7. Denmark - oops no. Multiple gold medal winner at Worlds, Police Superintendent and representative for amateurs. No, that's just crap. He has nothing to do with the pro-peleton so can't possibly have any positive impact on cycling?
8. Cuba - oops no. The President of the Pan-American Cycling Fed can't possibly represent the interests of central and south america; and anyway what has that part of the World ever done for cycling. Get rid of him. Just a patsy clearly?

and on and on and on. Sorry, if not from the right country, then out despite any other real reason for being on the management board.

All countries should have a say. That never happens, though.

What do you think actually happens within UCI HQ, though?

Power and influence.

Who has the real power, and who wields it? Who has any influence, and how is that obtained?

Most of these 'lesser' countries can barely aspire to have a participant in the Pro Peloton (where all the money and thus the Power and Influence is). That means that most of these countries can barely aspire to have participants at the Olympics other than what might be regionally allocated - in which case, they effectively have no power at all.

Will Cuba allow any of its cyclists to join the Pro Peloton? Will Cuba support professional athletics?

Do you really think a Cuban representative can or will represent the interests of Central and South America? Do you know anything about politics?

And, please, let's not get into a political discussion. Some things are obvious even if you have never visited any of these countries and don't read the newspaper.

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
You really shouldn't take things so personally/nationalisticly. It is clear I stepped on your toe but that was never my intention. My opinion is what it is, some nations/people on that list have nothing to do with cycling, let alone sport. They are there only for the sake of themselves or to vote for 'yes - Pat'. Just like in FIFA, that's why idiots like mcquaid/Blatter can get elected.

And indeed, a lot of nations on that list have no cycling history and should not be in that position, one more than the other of course.

Edit:
I forgot Ireland of course, also has such a great tradition like the Italians, the French, the Flandriens, the Spaniards, a bit the Dutch, luckily we have good old Hein on as an honnorary [=Dutch for horrible] member.

You really shouldn't take things so personally/nationalisticly. It is clear I stepped on your toe but that was never my intention. My opinion is what it is, some nations/people on that list have nothing to do with cycling, let alone sport. They are there only for the sake of themselves or to vote for 'yes - Pat'. Just like in FIFA, that's why idiots like mcquaid/Blatter can get elected.

And indeed, a lot of nations on that list have no cycling history and should not be in that position, one more than the other of course.

So the Oceania rep should always be an Ausssie, the Asian always a Kazakh, the South American, always a Colombian and Africa shouldn't have any representative.

I wonder how having the same guy or someone from the same country as opposed to different countries will help stop corruption or prevent them from being Yes men.
The UCI might as well change it's name to UCWE or UCTC( union of Cyclists from traditional countries) :rolleyes:

Good idea asian. We agree ;)

But let's focus on the yes - men. By the way, the asian rep should be Japan; keirin kings.

At least be satisfied that Korea and not Japan are the Asian reps.:D

These things do happen in all sports governing bodies in the World.

FIFA, IAAF, ICC.

you can't do away with regional representation. Cycling will most probably lose it's Olympic status if tries do that.

TRENDING THREADS