• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Symbolic Politics of Pat McQuaid

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Good idea asian. We agree ;)

But let's focus on the yes - men. By the way, the asian rep should be Japan; keirin kings.

You do realise that the regional reps are elected within their regions, not by PatHein?

I would think the regions are in a much better position to know who is best to represent them than we are on this forum.

All this thread has been is a series of assumptions and assertions to make racially motivated comments backed by no evidence.

So again, which countries are OK to be on the committee? and where is the evidence that the committee is a bunch of PatHeinsy's.

Forget all of the racist rubbish, what is your approved structure of the UCI management committee that represents all of the Federations and how should the reps of the Federations be elected?

peterst6906 said:
You do realise that the regional reps are elected within their regions, not by PatHein?

I would think the regions are in a much better position to know who is best to represent them than we are on this forum.

All this thread has been is a series of assumptions and assertions to make racially motivated comments backed by no evidence.

So again, which countries are OK to be on the committee? and where is the evidence that the committee is a bunch of PatHeinsy's.

Forget all of the racist rubbish, what is your approved structure of the UCI management committee that represents all of the Federations and how should the reps of the Federations be elected?

wtf are you talking about.

Dave.

Mcquaid's latest

on Greg Lemond http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-change-cycling-now-not-a-part-of-cycling

“I find it a little bit arrogant for him to say he is prepared to serve as interim president of the UCI. The UCI is a democracy, there is an electoral system in place. If he wants to, he can always seek the support of his national federation and stand for election next September.”

yes thats the way you,ve always operated isnt it Pat - he knows fine well that he can rely on his puppet committee.....AND why is a Korean Vice President ??

Vice-Presidents
Mr Hee Wook CHO
KOR

Pats Latest:-
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-change-cycling-now-not-a-part-of-cycling

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
You would have to wonder if Pat has any background in being an actual politician? He is good at being a spin doctor, everyone knows he is corrupt but denies it well and commits many perfunctory acts which make him look good, even though he is doing **** all.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
wtf are you talking about.

Dave.

you're a smart guy. Go back and read some of the things written earlier in the thread. No real facts, just a heap of assumptions about who is right and wrong to sit on the management committee; and what all of the current committee members must be.

All of the rubbish and corruption that comes out of Pat and before him Hein aside, what is the right structure of the management committee and how should those members be appointed?

peterst6906 said:
you're a smart guy. Go back and read some of the things written earlier in the thread. No real facts, just a heap of assumptions about who is right and wrong to sit on the management committee; and what all of the current committee members must be.

All of the rubbish and corruption that comes out of Pat and before him Hein aside, what is the right structure of the management committee and how should those members be appointed?

There is an enormous difference between what you have asserted as racial statements and the power and influence factors within the UCI.

It is too bad that you don't seem to understand the importance of the Pro Peloton, and its membership, and the power factors at the UCI. Please refer to the qualification criteria for the Olympic Road race.

Of the 144 slots available in the Men's RR, 5 are allocated to the 'UCI Africa Tour', 7 allocated to the 'UCI Asia Tour', 2 to the 'UCI Oceania Tour', 2 to the African Championship, 2 to the (non-North) American Championship, and 2 to the Asian Championship.

That means that UCI Committee Membership for Cuba and S. Korea is aligned with exactly one of the 144 slots between the two.

Who got all the slots?

Spain, Belgium, Italy, Australia, Great Britain, Germany, Netherlands, United States, and Switzerland all had 5 slots and almost one-third of the total participants. These nations all receiving those slots based upon their results in the UCI World Tour = Pro Peloton.

With respect to anything approaching racist statements, one of my examples above was Canada (1 slot of 144). Please explain how that example can be interpreted as racist. Not that there isn't racism present in Canada, of course, but your logic has baffled me.

Another example was Cuba's lack of support for their athletes to compete as professionals (and exactly 9 slots. This is a fact. Please explain how that could be interpreted as a racist comment.

You are way out of line.

If you think that anything I wrote is racist, please report it. Same for anyone else.

Otherwise, please moderate yourself.

Now, you made the assertion that all of the Central and S. American countries would be happy being represented by Cuba. Is that naive or racist?

Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and Venezuela had more Olympic participants than Cuba while Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala and Uruguay had less.

Which of those countries do you believe felt that the Cuban member also did a good job of representing their national interests?

Here is a better question. There are countries (e.g. Great Britain and Canada) that share embassy and consular facilities around the world. How many countries in the Americas share embassy and consular facilities with Cuba?

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Please. Do me a favor and go back to cycling school.

Nuff said. Calling someone a racist is pretty dumb, dumby.

Please. Do me a favor and go back to cycling school.

Nuff said. Calling someone a racist is pretty dumb, dumby.

Sometimes the written word can be easily misinterpreted. I believe that may be the case here. I certainly can't see any evidence of intended racism in any of the posts.

Anyway, everyone has made their position clear, so let's draw a line under it and move on with the thread without any more references.

Cheers.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Here is a better question. There are countries (e.g. Great Britain and Canada) that share embassy and consular facilities around the world. How many countries in the Americas share embassy and consular facilities with Cuba?

I don't know, but it isn't relevant.

International diplomacy (I work in the sector, so can write comfortably about it if you want) has no relation to the structure and makeup of the UCI Management Committee.

So, what is the right structure to form the management committee and which countries qualify?

That's the fourth time I think I've asked the question, but no answer yet.

My contention is that country of birth shouldn't be the qualifying factor. Credibility to contribute positively, as judged by those on the regional management committees is an appropriate way to nominate people to represent the issues relevant to a local area. So what's wrong with that?

peterst6906 said:
I don't know, but it isn't relevant.

International diplomacy (I work in the sector, so can write comfortably about it if you want) has no relation to the structure and makeup of the UCI Management Committee.

So, what is the right structure to form the management committee and which countries qualify?

That's the fourth time I think I've asked the question, but no answer yet.

My contention is that country of birth shouldn't be the qualifying factor. Credibility to contribute positively, as judged by those on the regional management committees is an appropriate way to nominate people to represent the issues relevant to a local area. So what's wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, it just isn't how the sport of cycling works.

My point (and that of others) is that there is an enormous difference between egalitarian ideals and how the UCI actually functions.

This thread is about the symbolic politics of McQuaid. The representation on the UCI Committee underscores the disparity between the politics and the reality. And that disparity underscores how Phat may be well able to keep hold on his position when he has been a complete disaster as the sport's leader.

You or I may not like the reality, but we should not be ignorant of it.

Dave.

UCI Committee Selection

D-Queued said:
There is nothing wrong with that.

Like it or not, it just isn't how the sport of cycling works.

My point (and that of others) is that there is an enormous difference between egalitarian ideals and how the UCI actually functions.

This thread is about the symbolic politics of McQuaid. The representation on the UCI Committee underscores the disparity between the politics and the reality. And that disparity underscores how Phat may be well able to keep hold on his position when he has been a complete disaster as the sport's leader.

You or I may not like the reality, but we should not be ignorant of it.

Dave.

Well said !!

D-Queued said:

As an FYI for the casual reader: my incomplete read and poor comprehension of the rules suggests the old purpose of the UCI as a sort of passive rules-making body for all national federations was demoted by Hein.

Like what passes for voting in many countries, there's some symbolic democracy. (lower-case d) But, the dictator/terrorist leader Hein essentially run the federation as he pleases.

Another way to look at it is the most active thing the management committee has done in a decade is shut down the Kimmage litigation.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
As an FYI for the casual reader: my incomplete read and poor comprehension of the rules suggests the old purpose of the UCI as a sort of passive rules-making body for all national federations was demoted by Hein.

Like what passes for voting in many countries, there's some symbolic democracy. (lower-case d) But, the dictator/terrorist leader Hein essentially run the federation as he pleases.

Another way to look at it is the most active thing the management committee has done in a decade is shut down the Kimmage litigation.

the power of change still lies with the riders and DSs.
got news for ya'll: they don't want any change.
UCI is a good money maker.

peterst6906 said:

That is a loaded question. What's the desired outcome of a new management committee? Remember, you've got the IOC looking over your shoulder ready to fire/relegate your sport should they not be pleased with a new goal.

The IOC's interests are:
1. monetize the sport
2. maintain a worldwide monopoly on the sport.
3. suppress doping controversy. Notice how sporting offences like doping are not criminal. That's mostly worldwide and legislated by the IOC.

Don't do any of those, and suddenly the IOC's interest in your sport may shift and the number of events cycling is allowed is cut, broadcast time is cut and shifted to odd hours, and so on.

So, what are the new management committee goals?

sniper said:
the power of change still lies with the riders and DSs.
got news for ya'll: they don't want any change.
UCI is a good money maker.

Politely disagree. If the UCI actually funded/permitted back-dated testing with current sanctions and actually processed the positives, all but the dumbest riders would stop.

The UCI is still small relative to a FIFA or F1 too. Pat and Hein's efforts to get rid of all but ASO/RCS/WCP for event owners will better monetize the sport, essentially super-charging a monopoly market.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
The soft interview of McQuaid by a tame and uninformed Irish journalist recently was for Irish home consumption.

It was electioneering on the stump as McQuaid's major problem for re-election is to obtain Irish nomination.

From Irish Herald - Cycling: McQuaid in a dogfight

...<snip>....Pat could also face the prospect of the governing body of cycling in Ireland reneging on his nomination to the position of president. This would not be the first time Irish cycling has not nominated him.

Back in the early '90s McQuaid sought the governing body's support for a nomination to the UCI executive. On that occasion, he was defeated by a margin of nine to one. It certainly is going to be an interesting nine months before the vote in Spain.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
this is from the WADA executive committee meeting from September 2012.
A certain mr. Young asking McQuaid why Contador had been allowed to return to cycling prior to having paid WADA's CAS-appeal-costs. Apparently, an exception was made for Contador:

MR YOUNG referred to article 15, the repayment of CAS cost awards (article 10.13).
This was fairly straightforward: it put a provision in the Code that said that, where the
CAS awarded costs in favour of an anti-doping agency such as WADA, on appeals by
WADA, the athlete or other person was ineligible to compete or participate until such cost
awards had been paid. Currently, in WADA’s case and other anti-doping organisations’
cases, they did not get paid and the athlete returned to competition.
THE CHAIRMAN asked Mr McQuaid about his sport’s capacity to levy some sort of a
penalty. Was this enforced fully?
40 / 61
MR MCQUAID responded that it was enforced fully and the athlete did not get back to
racing until the penalty had been paid. His federation had on occasion (and in one very
big current case) done a deal whereby it would be paid in instalments, but it was enforced.
:rolleyes:
http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/About_WADA/ExecutiveCommittee_Minutes/WADA%20Executive%20Committee%20Meeting%20Minutes,%2017%20May%202012,%20ENG%20FINAL.pdf

This is probably the same 'deal' between Conti and UCI we read about a few days/weeks ago. Doesn't sound kosher, but hey, WADA seems ok with it.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
the asian said:
Who do you prefer as UCI president.

Pat Mcquaid or Andre Tchmil (as puppet of Igor Makarov) ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/european-cycling-union-agrees-to-mpcc-anti-doping-proposals.

Pat is going to be rolled over by the Russians.:D

''The UEC is an umbrella organisation for 48 national cycling federations. It has stepped up its political influence in the sport in recent times, with Russian businessman Igor Makarov – a key sponsor of the Katusha team - being voted to represent the UEC on the very influential UCI management committee.''

No we know why Katusja did not get the World Tour licence.

''The UEC is an umbrella organisation for 48 national cycling federations. It has stepped up its political influence in the sport in recent times, with Russian businessman Igor Makarov – a key sponsor of the Katusha team - being voted to represent the UEC on the very influential UCI management committee.''

No we know why Katusja did not get the World Tour licence.

It was obvious though.

Was just watching pre-recorded coverage of the UCI World Cup on the Glasgow track - nice track.

One of the announcers mentioned that the riders weren't allowed to wear shoe covers. Thus, without needing a date, I knew that this was a current event (Nov 16-18, 2012).

What a mockery.

No shoe covers, but:

-Front and rear disc wheels
-Carbon aero spoke wheels
-TT bars
-Custom monocoque aero frames
-Extreme aero helmets
-Full face shields
-Aero clothing (with huge sponsor logos)
AND
-Wide (2-3 inch) pedal straps.

C'mon already. The fat pedal straps provide most of the aero benefit of shoe covers by covering much of the shoe's upper / buckles - and are definitely not required when we have clip in systems.

The UCI is a joke. But, as long as those bikes had UCI stickers on them everything is ok.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS