• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tour de Oprah (WT) (1 team of 1 rider) Live Thread

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
9e7f5dc8e2d6be6973d4eae2b6e67e72.gif

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Jalina said:
I 100% disagree with this. As I watched it and listened to his rubbish about how hard it was to have his kids have to defend him blah blah blah, I wanted Oprah to ask one question.
If you knew what your kids were going through having to defend you, why did you continue to make them do it while you fought and fought against the truth and continued to lie?

If he genuinely gave a crap about those kids, he would have told them, and the world, the truth so they didn't have to go through what they did. He was happy to continue to let them suffer while he still thought he had a way out. Even if it has only been happening since the release of the RD, that is still a few months of pain he has chosen to sit back and let them endure.

Others may see it differently, but I didn't buy one second of it.

+1

Armstrong cant see past himself

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Reinhold Niebuhr described man as both a beast and a king simultaneously. Very true.

LOL, I think about millions of adulterers going home and playing with the kids and having a barbecue with family, wife, friends. A very, very common situation in the U.S. of A. and elsewhere. As common as apple pie. Just one among umpteen things one could say. Nothing unexpected here; nothing new under the sun.

He's conflicted. Wow. Should we be surprised. No.

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Grandillusion said:
Doctor-patient confidentiality is between the doctor and the patient! Anybody else privy to this conversation (like Betsy) by being allowed in the room to hear it is not a part of this understanding surely?

And the information was not about his illness per se but his doping and cheating.

no, you are wrong about that, if a nurse was in the room, they would be bound also, and if it is a friend in the room and they did that, it's even worse. of course the information was about an illness, he was in the hospital with cancer, the doctor needs to know honestly what drugs, food, environment he has been in. if patients had to worry about what a passing nurse, or friend might report to the media they will not be honest with the doctor and that would be dangerous for their health, it really is very simple.
and Betsy would not appreciate Lance talking to the media about something she told her doctor, you just don't do that

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
no, you are wrong about that, if a nurse was in the room, they would be bound also, and if it is a friend in the room and they did that, it's even worse. of course the information was about an illness, he was in the hospital with cancer, the doctor needs to know honestly what drugs, food, environment he has been in. if patients had to worry about what a passing nurse, or friend might report to the media they will not be honest with the doctor and that would be dangerous for their health, it really is very simple.
and Betsy would not appreciate Lance talking to the media about something she told her doctor, you just don't do that
Seems very clear you know zilch on any law. Pathetic. Why not badmouth LeMond some more?

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

A nurse most certainly would be bound by the confidentiality laws, but Betsy? No, I'd put money on that not being the case.

Very slightly morally questionable choice in this case? Mmmm, maybe very slightly.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Oprah: Do you regret coming back?
Lance: Yes.
Oprah: You would have gotten away with it?
Lance: Much better chance.

LOL. Lance feels sorry FOR HIMSELF. He's sorry he got caught.

This guy is such a crappy human being.

Pf, what words did you expect him to say? :)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Ha, ha! I know. Hard to disagree with that (Lance seems to be a human being). :D

Parrot23 said:
Okay, good. I didn't know/understand that. Thanks, Hog.

I should add that a Judge would be more forgiving on awarding costs if the defendant has assisted the process even if the defendant is judged against.

His legal exposure is great. But it already was when he was denying. So now he has a little more room to negotiate.

However as I see it he'd still not want to testify in court. As he's still lying on the "conspiracy" and "corruption" elements of his story. At the moment he's presenting it as a "doping story" not one of organised and premeditated fraud.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:
don't get me wrong, I love LeMond, the way he raced. he is the greatest American cyclist of all time, but how quickly people forget about the Tour the year before he won. he made a deal gifting the win to Hinault in exchange for Hinault's support the following year. that is CHEATING. but this whole mess isn't really about cheating, because everyone cheats, blocking, drifting off your sprint line, drafting cars to get back after a flat.

No, it's not cheating.
Greg and Honey Badger, were on the same team, ergo team tactics.
Was the "gifting" of Ventoux to Pantani by Liestrong also "cheating"?

Should every race be a TT with everyone sharing the same 1972 Peugeot bike, just so no one "cheats" by having better equipment and/or drafting?

CobbleStoner said:
...it is about bringing down someone because of their personality, nobody is going after Eddy Merckx's records or money because he is beloved

Eddy only ruined people on the road with his bicycle.
Liestrong rabidly chased down and ruined anyone who was telling the truth about his fraud.

You are odd.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
CobbleStoner said:

LoooL ok on ignore. move on.

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Been lurking here for a while and after looking up the answer about Doctor Patient Confidentially Thought I'd post what I found here. The below is from http://www.enotes.com/healthcare-reference/doctor-patient-confidentiality

A privilege belongs to the patient, not the doctor. Generally, only a patient may waive the privilege. A patient's written consent is needed before a doctor can release any information about the patient. But there are other ways in which a patient may "waive" the privilege of confidentiality. For example, if a patient brings a friend into the examination or consultation with the doctor, the friend may be forced to TESTIFY as to what transpired and what was said. (On the other hand, nurses or medical assistants in the room are "extensions" of the doctor for purposes of confidentiality and are covered by the privilege.) The patient may also waive the privilege by testifying about his or her communications with the doctor or about his or her physical condition at the time.

Another common way in which a patient waives the confidentiality of the privilege is by filing a lawsuit or claim for PERSONAL INJURY. By doing so, the patient has put his or her physical condition "at issue" in the lawsuit. Therefore, the law presumes that the patient has waived all confidentiality regarding his or her medical condition, and there is an implied authorization to the patient's doctor for disclosure of all relevant information. If a patient fails to object to a doctor's TESTIMONY, the patient has waived the privilege as well.

on3m@n@rmy said:
I thought same when he flung words like absolutely out there. Like Absolutely = "Hello, I'm lying". What I don't get is what would he stand to lose by telling truth about doping after his comeback in 2009-2010? Unless there are sponsors who may want to recoup something.

It shows he has an agenda.

Moose McKnuckles said:
CNN's Jeffrey Toobin was baffled as to why his lawyers let him do this interview. Seemed like a very very bad idea from a legal standpoint. He's now going to get sued like crazy, and he deserves to be.

As long as their invoice gets honoured, I suppose he can do anything.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
xrayvision said:
Spot on!!
+10

I guess I have to make that +20! Wow. I missed part 2 but it looks like I really didn't miss anything at all.

Wow.

You know, I almost have to give LA some credit - for actually broadcasting to the WORLD what a jerk he is - I mean - how many politicians and CEOs are JUST as bad and ugly inside, but are much better at lying about it? About 95%, in my experience.

But I still can't give him any cred. Too bad. So sad.

Now Betsy, on the other hand - Frankie is one lucky guy as far as I can see!

Now we need to dump Weisel and McQaid etc.

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I guess I have to make that +20! Wow. I missed part 2 but it looks like I really didn't miss anything at all.

Wow.

You know, I almost have to give LA some credit - for actually broadcasting to the WORLD what a jerk he is - I mean - how many politicians and CEOs are JUST as bad and ugly inside, but are much better at lying about it? About 95%, in my experience.

But I still can't give him any cred. Too bad. So sad.

Now Betsy, on the other hand - Frankie is one lucky guy as far as I can see!

Now we need to dump Weisel and McQaid etc.

Much as I admire Betsy's stand on this issue, I'm very glad to not be partnered with her and I don't envy Frankie at all.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
But he does have a point in that one, why was that not in the reasoned decision?

Even liars, dopers etc etc sometimes have good points.

Pathological liars always, always, always have good points. Most of them are false, like this one.

Unless the attempted bribe could be linked to a specific failed test or to corroborate another specific doping incident, then it is peripheral. Damning, but peripheral.

There was no particular reason to include this in the Reasoned Decision.

For all we know, it hit the cutting floor as it was on page 1,001 or something.

Now that he has lied about it, however, there is a reason to include it.

The other reason to not include it is due to the parallel with Lance's bribery of the UCI. To secure the ban and to wipe out all of his palmares, the decision had to go to the UCI. The UCI's decision could have been appealed, of course, but it was politically astute to focus more on Lance alone and not on the insidious corruption and offering and taking of bribes.

Dave.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
Just watched the bit about his kids.

I'm skeptical of that story. It's just too neat. If I wanted to come up with a tear jerker story, I probably would have pulled the "my kid gets beat up defending me at school" story too. It wouldn't surprise me if he lied about that one too. I still don't believe the story about his ex-wife giving him an ultimatum about no doping before he made his comeback in 2009. Just doesn't make sense.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

This guy is such a crappy human being.

You can take that as arrogance or just telling it the way he's thought of it all along.

He's still conflicted. I hope he moves forward.

Hamilton on (again) ABC today: sees "a broken man" "believes emotion on son and family is real" "he needs to go much further" "needs no apology."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrongs-confessions-betrayal-lies-turn-tearful/story?id=18253552

Hamilton hits the right key with the word "process." How does one unravel one big lie?

It is a good question to ask; why his lawyers would advise 3 hours with Oprah? But I would guess they did not, but he's still following the their advise on exposing the omerta though.

I always tought he would stayed laweyed up and never say a word. I do think he's only gone half-way and he cannot stay there now. He needs to "name names" " tell all." Hamilton offering some compassion because he's been through it.

You can cut and paste it all day Moose, and we will here a 10,000 time or more how horrible he is. There's much worse out there. Armstrong has never matured an inch from the time he enter this as a teenager until now. Maybe that has been the premise of my posting in some sense. "Naming names means taking the omerta." Any such code of silence usually deals harshly with those who break it.

My apologies to TH for doubting his sincerity all along.

TRENDING THREADS