• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tour is OVER!

One thing is for sure, the Tour is over. Contador would have to crash out at this point to lose.

So, for all the talk about Ventoux being the ultimate decider, it will now only determine who gets 2nd and 3rd, etc. We sat through two weeks plus of the most boring Tour in years, with no one on GC wanting to race, and not enough mountains even if they wanted to. All by design from the race organizers to make sure that the race could be decided on the next to last last day: the mighty Ventoux. And it's not going to happen. I'd even go as far to say the race wasn't over today after Contador's win in the ITT, but there were strong hints anyway after Arcalis, or even the TTT. So it looks like the Tour won't only start, but end not with a bang, but a whimper.

Let's hope next year they design a course that brings the leaders out more frequently (like the Giro), not just over a couple of days near the end.

:mad:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
One thing is for sure, the Tour is over. Contador would have to crash out at this point to lose.

So, for all the talk about Ventoux being the ultimate decider, it will now only determine who gets 2nd and 3rd, etc. We sat through two weeks plus of the most boring Tour in years, with no one on GC wanting to race, and not enough mountains even if they wanted to. All by design from the race organizers to make sure that the race could be decided on the next to last last day: the mighty Ventoux. And it's not going to happen. I'd even go as far to say the race wasn't over today after Contador's win in the ITT, but there were strong hints anyway after Arcalis, or even the TTT. So it looks like the Tour won't only start, but end not with a bang, but a whimper.

Let's hope next year they design a course that brings the leaders out more frequently (like the Giro), not just over a couple of days near the end.

The Tour was actually over before it started because Contador is miles better than everyone at every discipline where you can actually gain time. There's no course that could have overcome that.

jaylew said:
I agree with your overall assessment but I think Ventoux might still wind up being the most exciting stage of the race. The fight for 3rd is going to be awesome. 4 guys within 34 secs for a place on the podium!
Yes, all scrapping to take over Bernard Kohl's place in history.:rolleyes:
Still, it certainly should add a bit of spice to the usually bland fare, served up on the final weekend.

Alberto Contador will be the 2009 TDF winner unless:

1-) Crash
2-) Illness
3-) bonking
4-) popped positive
5-) Lance decides to poison him out of envy & jealousy
6-) Lance hires a crazy fan at the Ventoux climb ready to stab him to death
7-) Iran launches a Nuclear Bomb over Paris
:cool: the Armageddon takes place on July 25th
:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
For me, the fight is for third only. Andy will try to help his brother. I'll be cheering for him and Wigo. Although Wigo's chances to claim 3rd on Ventoux are slimming down, I think.
Andy helping his brother would be as stupid as Cav trying to get George in yellow.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Damn, just go through that list of dopers, its really the whos who of professional cycling. Armstrong was really lucky that his team had more money then anyone else and that he was ahead of the game with what he was taking and what they were testing for. Then look at his teammates that left and afterwards got caught.

Hamilton
Heras
Landis
Beltran
Andreau

benpounder said:
Andy helping his brother would be as stupid as Cav trying to get George in yellow.
What are Andy's chances to beat Contador?
Now if his brother bonks or is not riding 100% then you are right. Otherwise I don't see any problems with trying to help his brother to be on the podium.

I just saw the other thread on this forum about who is going to be third, and it looks like I am not alone on this thought.

Relax Benpounder, this is just a Forum. I see you are getting a little upset from the other thread.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Yes, all scrapping to take over Bernard Kohl's place in history.:rolleyes:
Still, it certainly should add a bit of spice to the usually bland fare, served up on the final weekend.

Nothing beats Vino going after intermediate sprints on the final day to win that exciting battle for 5th place over Leipheimer.

I still get chills just thinking about it.

hfer07 said:
Alberto Contador will be the 2009 TDF winner unless:

My answers in italics.

1-) Crash - Would have to be MAJOR, like Voight. A broken collarbone he could probably survive with that time cushion.
2-) Illness - Not just bronchitis or the flu at this point, it would have to be like a kidney stone.
3-) Bonking - Even with a 4:11 lead, a P-N like bonk wouldn't likely do it.
4-) Popped positive - At this point, no way. The only thing he's doing is autologous doping up to 49 hct, maybe. They'd have to catch him in the act.

Your other choices are equally probable!

Yes, the list of dopers is staggering. Welcome to pro cycling! Correction: Pro sports. :eek:

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

I agree this parcours was less than thrilling, but I am not sure doing something more traditional would have ended up any better. More mountain finishes earlier would just solidified Contador's lead and made the final result a foregone conclusion by about stage 9 or 10 anyhow. The usual parcours always has included a string of really boring stages in the second half, with a bunch of dometiques in 15+ minute breakaways and not even a decent sprint at the end.

I will agree that more mountain finishes introduce more possibility that a leader might have a bad day and open things up. But I also think that when you have a superior rider, a lot of drama is going to be taken out, no matter what the stages look like.

Azdak6 said:
I agree this parcours was less than thrilling, but I am not sure doing something more traditional would have ended up any better. More mountain finishes earlier would just solidified Contador's lead and made the final result a foregone conclusion by about stage 9 or 10 anyhow. The usual parcours always has included a string of really boring stages in the second half, with a bunch of dometiques in 15+ minute breakaways and not even a decent sprint at the end.

I will agree that more mountain finishes introduce more possibility that a leader might have a bad day and open things up. But I also think that when you have a superior rider, a lot of drama is going to be taken out, no matter what the stages look like.
+1...............

For as much as I love to see more mountains, when you have a superior rider, it always ends up in a less than exciting tour.

benpounder said:

Sounds like that's exactly what he's going to do. Andy:

"I am very happy for Fränk's ride today. He was even more nervous than I was and knew he could lose a lot more than me today, but he did a good time. The most important thing will be to help Fränk on Ventoux, he helped me yesterday and I am going to help him now."

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
True. But I do think they could have designed the course more like the Giro, with more uphill finishes, even if short, steep ones, to bring the GC riders out of hiding.

I don't disagree. I love those stages. But it also would have just given Contador an unassailable lead much earlier in the race.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:
Nothing beats Vino going after intermediate sprints on the final day to win that exciting battle for 5th place over Leipheimer.

I still get chills just thinking about it.

Agreed, but I must admit I actually quite enjoyed Thor soloing over the mountains for 12 points as well.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Jayarbie said:
The Tour was actually over before it started because Contador is miles better than everyone at every discipline where you can actually gain time. There's no course that could have overcome that.

Agreed, Contador is so far ahead. Great record: Giro, Tour, Vuelta, Tour (TBC), ... lots of smaller stage races. Would have won last year if he hadn't been on a dodgy team. Same dodgy team couldn't even stop him this year!

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
Sounds like that's exactly what he's going to do. Andy:

"I am very happy for Fränk's ride today. He was even more nervous than I was and knew he could lose a lot more than me today, but he did a good time. The most important thing will be to help Fränk on Ventoux, he helped me yesterday and I am going to help him now."

Not that it's a bad thing, but that's more because they are brothers than teammates. Frank was always riding for Andy. It's not necesssary or expected that the "favour" must be returned.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
within 18 months Contador gonna get popped..

Lamonde is on the hunt and bringing attention to AC..

"next question" not the best reply if you're clean

TRENDING THREADS