• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The twilight zone called Portugal.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
https://twitter.com/ronanvzandbeek/status/628276530007904257

https://twitter.com/ronanvzandbeek/status/628250147084967936

Doesnt train hard enough.

Rough translations of these twitter messages, as they're quite illustrative

De mannen hebben vandaag top werk geleverd om me vooraan af te zetten maar helaas rijden de motoren te hard! Bedankt mannen @ctderijke

The guys did a great job today, delivering me at the front, but unfortunately the motorbikes are going too fast! Thanks, guys

And

40 km/h een heuvel op rijden met kasseien.. Doe eens ff normaal!

Going 40 km/h up a cobbled hill... Keep it real!*

*) It's a very negative statement in Dutch, expressing frustration. I don't know if that comes across in my translation.

Thanks for the translations! I can't imagine racing against guys doped that much.

Also, the Twilight Zone is the best television show of all time, please don't attach it to any murky cycle racers. I grew up in the same city as Rod Serling, still hoping the water makes me as creative as he was!

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
1011266_10202533612020835_4368271935890379602_n.jpg

The Galician clique with Ezequiel, Gustavo and Delio in the background, while having Alex and Vladimir at the front. Only one who is missing is David. All those guys are clean, but Galician riders tend to be excluded from Spanish cycling in favor of enrolling less talented riders of Spain instead of hiring more talented riders from Galicia. Ezequiel and David managed to finish the Volta do Futuro respectively 3th and 1st back in the day. The reason for opting to ride in Portugal instead of riding elsewhere has to do with the absence of stress and the abundance of appreciation by fans and staff in Portugal.

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Re:

nayr497 said:
Thanks for the translations! I can't imagine racing against guys doped that much.

Also, the Twilight Zone is the best television show of all time, please don't attach it to any murky cycle racers. I grew up in the same city as Rod Serling, still hoping the water makes me as creative as he was!
The Twilight Zone isn't bad, but it's clearly not the best TV show of all time !

Blackadder is the best TV show of all time.......................or maybe Monty Python..........or maybe Battlestar Galactica (albeit that's largely due to Starbuck's arse.........Katee Sackhoff of course, not Dirk Benedict......although I'm sure many people think he's got a good arse.....but not as good as Katee Sackhoff's !)

Re:

Something fishy said:
1011266_10202533612020835_4368271935890379602_n.jpg

The Galician clique with Ezequiel, Gustavo and Delio in the background, while having Alex and Vladimir at the front. Only one who is missing is David. All those guys are clean, but Galician riders tend to be excluded from Spanish cycling in favor of enrolling less talented riders of Spain instead of hiring more talented riders from Galicia. Ezequiel and David managed to finish the Volta do Futuro respectively 3th and 1st back in the day. The reason for opting to ride in Portugal instead of riding elsewhere has to do with the absence of stress and the abundance of appreciation by fans and staff in Portugal.

Blanco or Garcia Dapena?

I did an interview with Blanco about his career and the Volta here - http://inthedrops.net/2015/07/28/david-blanco-king-of-the-volta/

Re: Re:

WillemS said:
https://twitter.com/ronanvzandbeek/status/628276530007904257

https://twitter.com/ronanvzandbeek/status/628250147084967936

Doesnt train hard enough.

Rough translations of these twitter messages, as they're quite illustrative

De mannen hebben vandaag top werk geleverd om me vooraan af te zetten maar helaas rijden de motoren te hard! Bedankt mannen @ctderijke

The guys did a great job today, delivering me at the front, but unfortunately the motorbikes are going too fast! Thanks, guys

And

40 km/h een heuvel op rijden met kasseien.. Doe eens ff normaal!

Going 40 km/h up a cobbled hill... Keep it real!*

*) It's a very negative statement in Dutch, expressing frustration. I don't know if that comes across in my translation.

This is all and well, but...

To further elaborate on this (which also prove Benottis point in the response above) we would never see such openminded and revealing tweets in a bigger event where/when the big guns blazing. But when its a "lesser" and/or rather local race then its ok?

Revealing in its own right.

Garçia would have fit as well, of course, having been an ex-Xaco man as well, along with Eze, Gustavo, Délio and Vlad.

While it is certainly true that until Karpin came along Galician riders tended to fare better in Portugal, part of that was to do with the Portuguese teams being more local to them than the majority of the main Spanish teams of the time (ONCE/Liberty & Relax in Madrid, Kaiku & Euskaltel in País Vasco, Banesto/Illes Balears/Caisse in Navarra, Kelme/CV in Comunidad Valenciana, Catalunya-Ángel Mir in Catalunya and Saunier Duval in Cantabria plus split with Italy) and the at-the-time superior salaries available in Portuguese cycling than any conscious attempt to exclude Galicians I think - it's just that teams weren't really looking at the Galician amateur/junior scene for their young prospects.

I honestly think Eze was a decent rider pre-Xaco, he'd been top 10 of pretty much every non-PT Spanish stage race prior to that Vuelta 5th place in 2007. Gustavo César is a quality bike rider, and though his Catalunya overall win was a bit fortunate, his Vuelta stage win was not. I wish we still had a pro-level Volta a Galiza. So much route potential there. Now of course, there aren't enough teams, and the reason that Galician riders are forced over to Portugal is there are next to no Spanish squads to go to even if they wanted to, and both the top two tier teams are based out of the same area...

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Garçia would have fit as well, of course, having been an ex-Xaco man as well, along with Eze, Gustavo, Délio and Vlad.

While it is certainly true that until Karpin came along Galician riders tended to fare better in Portugal, part of that was to do with the Portuguese teams being more local to them than the majority of the main Spanish teams of the time (ONCE/Liberty & Relax in Madrid, Kaiku & Euskaltel in País Vasco, Banesto/Illes Balears/Caisse in Navarra, Kelme/CV in Comunidad Valenciana, Catalunya-Ángel Mir in Catalunya and Saunier Duval in Cantabria plus split with Italy) and the at-the-time superior salaries available in Portuguese cycling than any conscious attempt to exclude Galicians I think - it's just that teams weren't really looking at the Galician amateur/junior scene for their young prospects.

I honestly think Eze was a decent rider pre-Xaco, he'd been top 10 of pretty much every non-PT Spanish stage race prior to that Vuelta 5th place in 2007. Gustavo César is a quality bike rider, and though his Catalunya overall win was a bit fortunate, his Vuelta stage win was not. I wish we still had a pro-level Volta a Galiza. So much route potential there. Now of course, there aren't enough teams, and the reason that Galician riders are forced over to Portugal is there are next to no Spanish squads to go to even if they wanted to, and both the top two tier teams are based out of the same area...
Libertine, dont bs me, the Volta is just ridiculous, it is for those who love insane cycling.

Yes, I do.

[it has been for years and years and years]

Libertine Seguros said:

Libertine, dont bs me, the Volta is just ridiculous, it is for those who love insane cycling.

Yes, I do.

[it has been for years and years and years]
I still think Eze was a decent rider pre-Xaco. I still think Gustavo César was a good ProConti rider who won a Vuelta mountain stage due to being smart and being a good climber. Doesn't mean they aren't riding like it's still the 90s right now, because the Volta is crazy pace from a scene which was massively dope-addled. It was crazy pace even when doping was much heavier (just ask Gibo). They seemed to have been cleaning up their act a little a few years ago, but now it seems like the old days are truly back with a vengeance.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Libertine Seguros said:
I still think Eze was a decent rider pre-Xaco. I still think Gustavo César was a good ProConti rider who won a Vuelta mountain stage due to being smart and being a good climber. Doesn't mean they aren't riding like it's still the 90s right now, because the Volta is crazy pace from a scene which was massively dope-addled. It was crazy pace even when doping was much heavier (just ask Gibo). They seemed to have been cleaning up their act a little a few years ago, but now it seems like the old days are truly back with a vengeance.
What is Alvaro Pino up to these days?

TRENDING THREADS