• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the UCI Worlds 2010 - which teams

RedheadDane said:
Okay... now I'm probably gonna ask a rather dumb question;
Don't you participate at the worlds with your country not your team?

You're quite right, but I suppose that it would be difficult to accommodate all the countries of the world. So I assume that's what the OP is driving at and I hasten to add that I don't know, of course.

Perhaps one day we'll see a World Champion from Belize, Chad or Djibouti. That would be a nice thing. :)

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
You're quite right, but I suppose that it would be difficult to accommodate all the countries of the world. So I assume that's what the OP is driving at and I hasten to add that I don't know, of course.

Perhaps one day we'll see a World Champion from Belize, Chad or Djibouti. That would be a nice thing. :)

I believe that all countries are allowed to participate, but most do not want to pay for the riders to go there. Or at least I think I heard something like that at last years WC when a certain rider couldn't participate because his country didn't want to pay

Barrus said:
I believe that all countries are allowed to participate, but most do not want to pay for the riders to go there. Or at least I think I heard something like that at last years WC when a certain rider couldn't participate because his country didn't want to pay

Wouldn't that make for rather an enormous peloton though? It's only theoretical that all countries would start, of course, but surely they have to draw the line somewhere and have, say, qualification based on UCI rankings or something?

There's also something about each country being allowed to participate with a certain amount of riders, based on points and something like that...
There was some talk last year about Norway and Luxembourg being allowed to start with 9 riders as opposed to Denmark's 6... but, as the Norwegian trainer said, they (Norway) don't even have that many really high-class riders...

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Check it out here: http://www.uci.ch/includes/asp/getTarget.asp?type=FILE&id=NDAzMDY

Susan

(I'm wierd, I enjoy rooting around the UCI's rules)

This definitively sets it out as to who qualifies, and is the reason Cav may not get the sprinter's win at the 2010 road race a lot have already given him. GBR are currently rated 14th in world UCI tables and thus would only qualify 6 riders - not quite enough for a train of the quality which would be required to at the WC if a bunch sprint ensued. If Cav or Wiggins screw up/are injured at the TdF I dont see them qualifying the full 9 riders.

Regardless, Cav won't have a final lead out man in the same class as he does with HTC. My bet would be Gilbert or Hausler (hopefully in green and gold, not black, red and yellow).

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Also, the UCI have put in a sneaky new rule that says no matter how high you're ranked, you can't bring 9 guys if you don't actually have 9 guys in the individual UCI ranking. Last I checked Britain had 2 on the list, but that was before the Giro.

tgsgirl said:
Also, the UCI have put in a sneaky new rule that says no matter how high you're ranked, you can't bring 9 guys if you don't actually have 9 guys in the individual UCI ranking. Last I checked Britain had 2 on the list, but that was before the Giro.

That's fair enough isn't it? It's a UCI world championships, so it's only open to UCI ranked riders. Not sure about excluding nations that don't have 9 such riders though.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The answer is
* it's countries, not teams
* all countries that have a rider in the individual rankings get to send someone
* the smallest squad will consist of just the one rider (example in 2009: Veikkanen, Finland), the biggest squads will consist of nine riders.
* the biggest squads will be the top 10 of the UCI world ranking at 15 August 2010
* unless they don't have nine riders in the indiv rankings. In that case they get to send 8 if they have 8 individuals ranked, 7 if they have 7, 6 if they have 6 or less.

The top ten right now are.
1 1 SPAIN ESP 1,028
2 2 ITALY ITA 820
3 3 BELGIUM BEL 745
4 4 AUSTRALIA AUS 691
5 5 UNITED STATES USA 423
6 6 KAZAKHSTAN KAZ 302
7 11 SLOVENIA SLO 294
8 7 RUSSIA RUS 293
9 10 FRANCE FRA 260
10 8 GERMANY GER 255
11 9 SWITZERLAND SUI 247

If you're asking if Australia are safe to send nine (judging by your location), yes they are. I'm not sure if it's mathematically impossible for them to get bumped from the top ten, but it's highly unlikely at the least. Places six to ten are more of a battle (I added Switzerland because they're so close. The Netherlands are twelfth with 149 points). And Australia have nine people on the rankings, to they're good in that aspect too.

A

Anonymous

tgsgirl said:
The top ten right now are.
1 1 SPAIN ESP 1,028
2 2 ITALY ITA 820
3 3 BELGIUM BEL 745
4 4 AUSTRALIA AUS 691
5 5 UNITED STATES USA 423
6 6 KAZAKHSTAN KAZ 302
7 11 SLOVENIA SLO 294
8 7 RUSSIA RUS 293
9 10 FRANCE FRA 260
10 8 GERMANY GER 255
11 9 SWITZERLAND SUI 247

And GB are miles behind, although they were last year until the cav and wiggins show boosted them just a little bit over july. Cant see that happening again this year though. Maybe as well, i think sometimes you can take too many riders to the worlds, things get complicated

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
And GB are miles behind, although they were last year until the cav and wiggins show boosted them just a little bit over july. Cant see that happening again this year though. Maybe as well, i think sometimes you can take too many riders to the worlds, things get complicated

GB is fourteenth with 127 points, and they have seven on the individual rankings at the moment (Hammond, Wiggins, Cav, Millar, Thomas, Cummings and Blyth).

Of the top ten Australia have 9, Belgium 13, Spain 19, Italy 33 (!), USA 6, Kazakhstan 2, Slovenia 3, Russia 9, France 27 (!), Germany 14 and Switzerland 7.

All in all, I think this system is an improvement. It 'punishes' Kazakhstan for only having two, albeit two very good ones. No more stupid scenarios of Luxembourg getting to send 9 guys while they only have 4 professional cyclists.

Other nations:

12 12 NETHERLANDS NED 149
13 13 NORWAY NOR 134
14 14 GREAT BRITAIN GBR 127
15 15 CZECH REPUBLIC CZE 120
16 16 NEW ZEALAND NZL 113
17 17 ESTONIA EST 111
18 18 CANADA CAN 107
19 19 LUXEMBOURG LUX 94
20 20 AUSTRIA AUT 83
21 21 IRELAND IRL 61
22 22 PORTUGAL POR 48