• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "We need to give Matteo Trentin a thread before he becomes world champion" thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, my thread title was close to being very much on the money. Still, he did a fantastic race and looked set to take the rainbow stripes but he has never won a race of this length, and I think a lot of people overestimated his sprint a little bit before the finale.

It has been a season of near-misses for him but he has taken a step up, nonetheless.

Reactions: Bolder
I was praying he'd try to drop them before the finish or at least send Moscon on the attack to make the others work. His sprint is just not good enough to win this kind of races. Still a fantastic effort from him and the whole team.

Your write-up of his less-than-stellar sprinting capabilities at the end of hard races on the previous page certainly looks very clever now.

I had that to which to cling my hopes of seeing a first ever Danish world champion.

I was praying he'd try to drop them before the finish or at least send Moscon on the attack to make the others work. His sprint is just not good enough to win this kind of races. Still a fantastic effort from him and the whole team.
I think Moscon was the problem for him, he continued to look back until almost the end and basically stopped pulling after Kung dropped him, if he would have been alone probably he would have tried something, at least to drop Pedersen that was hanging on for the dear life with a small gap when Kung dug deep.

I think Moscon was the problem for him, he continued to look back until almost the end and basically stopped pulling after Kung dropped him, if he would have been alone probably he would have tried something, at least to drop Pedersen that was hanging on for the dear life with a small gap when Kung dug deep.
I really would have loved to see him win. He did everything right - except underestimating Pedersen who is insanely fast especially from a smaller group and on a hard day. Why he didn't wait for Moscon? Because he thought he had it in the bag and didn't want another rider in the mix who might attack the group.

Reactions: Blanco
I rewatched the final few kms yesterday night. I think Trentin was hoping Moscon would get back on again, and give him just one more pull. He played it right, although I also thought he started to sprint a little late. But after 260 wet kms, almost all prior performances are out the window...

I rewatched the final few kms yesterday night. I think Trentin was hoping Moscon would get back on again, and give him just one more pull. He played it right, although I also thought he started to sprint a little late. But after 260 wet kms, almost all prior performances are out the window...

If he had opened his sprint earlier, he would have lost by more, so I don't know how that's supposed to bear any logic.

I think he opened too early.

If he had opened his sprint earlier, he would have lost by more, so I don't know how that's supposed to bear any logic.

I think he opened too early.
Wouldn’t have made a difference. Pedersen didn’t come round him in the final 50m, but in the first 50m. Unless he sprinted from 50m (at which point I imagine Pedersen would’ve taken it up anyway), he would’ve still lost handily. Just didn’t have it

Wouldn’t have made a difference. Pedersen didn’t come round him in the final 50m, but in the first 50m. Unless he sprinted from 50m (at which point I imagine Pedersen would’ve taken it up anyway), he would’ve still lost handily. Just didn’t have it

I agree.

It was more a theoretical thing - it's slightly uphill, low speed, rain-heavy legs. 200 metres is too far out in those conditions.

Reactions: Brullnux
Nah, doesn't work that way in cycling--the podium counts plenty. He may not feel that way now in the midst of disappointment, but he will value it eventually.
A silver medal at the worlds is probably one of the greatest achievements of his career. Of course the way it happened would have hurt (if he had come second to Van Der Poel I reckon he'd have been satisfied), but it is still an awesome achievement, and better than any Italian has done in over a decade. Especially in a race like that.

Reactions: Sciatic

TRENDING THREADS