• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tonton said:
Valv.Piti said:
Shitty Danish terrain in shitty Danish weather. 33 km/ph, 62 kilometres. DONE.
That's pretty good! Congrats.

I've been working to much, got mechanicals and I haven't fixed my wheel yet, it sucks. July sucked for both me and my Tibopino :eek: . My 5000 km goal is gone. I'm at 1858.

Sucking wheels through the whole thing, I can't pull 40 km/ph on the flats. They were going like motorcycles!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Today I took a day off and climbed Kreuztal/Valcroce from Brixen/Bressanone, 21.1km at 7%.
It's a long, very regular climb, it was a rather cold at the top but at least the heat wasn't a problem and I had great legs and was able to set a pretty high tempo (at least for my standarts).
It's a great climb, compared to the big names in the dolomites there's almost no traffic and if the weather's good the view is just breathtaking.

Climbed the infamous Lagos de Covandonga today. I did not expect it to be as difficult as it turned out to be. The 7% avg-tag turned out to be highly misleading, since there was hardly any parts below 8% after the roundabout in Covadonga. Things even got worse, after 5 or 6 km's, when I hit the devastatingly steep section of La Huesera which averages around 12 or 13% for approximately a km. Only after I reached the Lago de Enol did the gradients ease off. On the bright sight, the scenery was great with the Picos de Europa in the background!

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Looking to make this one in my mtb bike next saturday with a couple of friends. It's my first "great" ride since i'm a amateur mtb rider and i'm used to ride 40-60 km in the trails near home. Given that i'm more used to the mtb explosive rythm, finding the right rythm will be the major task to acomplish. Wish me luck guys! :lol:

oCBeayG.png

Aalborg - Rebild - Aalborg, 73 km, 33 k/ph. Rebild has some very nice hills and it felt good with some proper climbing (for Danish standards) on the group ride since I always suffer the most on flat, windy and explosive up-and-down tempo. Felt the best I've ever felt riding with those guys.

Club ride last night so I took the fixed wheel back out. Managed to push the 91" gear up the designated climb so was happy with that. There has been a few crashes recently and I've been pushing for riding spells (2 lines, 1-2 minutes on the front, outside man moves forward and inside and outside line moves up) rather than pace lines for a while now so as I was leading the group we did it. Much better riding, no crossed wheels at all that I noticed, no sprinting to get on the pace line and no no large gaps. It does cause the pace to drop off a bit when certain riders hit the front and it's down a little overall anyway but it wasn't the race pace group and you actually get chance to talk to people so it's a lot more sociable. No one in the group had ridden that way before and everyone commented on how it felt much safer and was more pleasant. Weeknights are usually more aimed at training so it won't happen every week but hopefully it'll now be the norm for Sunday riders in the slower groups (I'm not a regular with the racers due to riding fixed so I wouldn't try to tell them what to do).

So, those of you that ride in groups, how do you ride?

I've just ridden 5-6 group rides so far, but everyone has pretty much been on 2 lines.

I just gotta be better at figuring out where exactly the wind comes from all the times to get that extra bit of shelter. Gotta arrive fresh at the bottom of the climbs! I've been making rookies and have been eating a bit too much wind for my liking, but on the other hand, thats what make you stronger.

Also, when I pull, Im kinda in a dilemma; Im not a watt-monster by any stretch of the imagination, so I end up on flat and windy stretches by a) decreasing the pace a bit or b) burning myself completely out keeping up, primarily the latter. I guess it will come, hopefully, a matter of time, altho I probably never will be an expert on Danish roads. Unfortunately...

Couldn't feel the chain today on the climbs. Was money, its nice to see the training paying off! Did 90 km on 31 km/ph (more calm rides on Sundays + a few punctures and stuff) around Staving/Skørping/Rebild from Aalborg, decently hilly for Danish standards.

Valv.Piti said:
https://www.strava.com/activities/687550723/segments/16852312629

Auch. Exposed roads, windy and decently hilly with some guys I haven't raced with yet (higher level). Average HR 172, absolutely boned... thought about quitting, call mom and begin to cry numerous times.
:lol: Tell me about it...

I climbed up Alto de l'Angliru a week ago. The climb was so steep on the 20% ramps, that my front wheel constantly lifted itself from the ground. In fact, whenever the gradient was only 11-14%, I felt blessed by being able to atleast control my rhythm. Eventually I was climbing in a "Cadel Evans"-position, just to keep the front wheel on the ground, which led to an instant pain in the back. 150 meters before the hairpin that follows the 23,5 % ramp, I then had to swallow my pride and walk 100m until the gradient easened a bit. My Garmin device showed 25%!

Compared to the climbs in the Alpines and Pyrenees, this was in a different league - the physical and mental demands as well as the scenery was unique from anything else I've experienced. Close to the summit I climbed above the clouds and suddenly I could look down on them from an altitude of only 1400 meters - along with the surreal view of the green hills in the background.

Luckily I filmed the whole thing on my GoPro action cam. I might try and throw a video-link for the Cuena les Cabres section later.

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

Auch. Exposed roads, windy and decently hilly with some guys I haven't raced with yet (higher level). Average HR 172, absolutely boned... thought about quitting, call mom and begin to cry numerous times.

I climbed up Alto de l'Angliru a week ago. The climb was so steep on the 20% ramps, that my front wheel constantly lifted itself from the ground. In fact, whenever the gradient was only 11-14%, I felt blessed by being able to atleast control my rhythm. Eventually I was climbing in a "Cadel Evans"-position, just to keep the front wheel on the ground, which led to an instant pain in the back. 150 meters before the hairpin that follows the 23,5 % ramp, I then had to swallow my pride and walk 100m until the gradient easened a bit. My Garmin device showed 25%!

Compared to the climbs in the Alpines and Pyrenees, this was in a different league - the physical and mental demands as well as the scenery was unique from anything else I've experienced. Close to the summit I climbed above the clouds and suddenly I could look down on them from an altitude of only 1400 meters - along with the surreal view of the green hills in the background.

Luckily I filmed the whole thing on my GoPro action cam. I might try and throw a video-link for the Cuena les Cabres section later.
Cool post... I'd like to see that GoPro video! :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

Cool post, I felt the same last year when I climbed the Lienzner Dolomitenhütte, 7km at 13.6%. Usually I can deal with dry heat, but that day was just too much, almost 38°C down in Lienz, add that heat to the brutal climb and you have a huge amout of suffering on your bike, at one point I had to stop to rest for some time, the heat was just too much. Usually I can somehow deal with really steep gradents (mostly because I'm using granny gears), even if I don't really like over 12% steep sections, but those gradients + the heat was just too much for me.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Back after a 'cycling vacation' for a week in Limburg. Bloody hot, especially the last days. But i have climbed them all: Keutenberg, Eyserbos, Cauberg, Camerig and many more!

And this killer: the Dodeman! ;)

141.jpg

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Quickly piled together a video of my Angliru ascent from bottom to top. The really steep stuff begins 2 minutes into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvF5zYCFM7I&feature=youtu.be
Great video, watching it already makes my legs hurt. :D
What kind of gearing did you use?

34 on the front and 30 on the back was my lowest gear. Luckily I didn't need to make any major modifications to my bike, as my Ultegra 6700 long cage rear derailleur had no problems running a 12-30 cassette.

Most of the time up Angliru I was on 34-28, but when the gradients went above 14% I found myself switching to 30.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I've got a 32 on the back because I like climbing seated with I a higher cadence and it's nice to have an extra gear on the super steep climbs.
Today I did a 173km ride with Falzarego from Cortina, the hard side of the Giau, Tre Croci, the hard side of Passo di Sant'Antonio (and underrated climb) and Passo Monte Croce Comelico, about 4000m of altitude gain.
I was suffering quite a bit on the Passo di San Antonio, it's not am easy climb and after Giau + Tre Croci I had no legs.