• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
postmanhat said:
I live in Derby, a small city pretty much in centre of England - the local festival is called furthestfromthesea :) Don't drive, but am very lucky as The Peak District is not too far away. Constantly up and down which I love. This ride from yesterday was 65 miles/104km, 5200ft/1400m of climbing, but the biggest climb was only 570ft. The only downside is that with all the undulation, turns, walls and hedges, you rarely know where the road's going more than 50 metres ahead. When you do though, it's usually pretty tempting. These are from the foothills northwest of Ashbourne. You can just about see the 'road' wending it's way around the hill

IMG_0021_zpshj53fbhn.jpg

IMG_0020_zpsizfkg1jf.jpg

That lane does lead into the middle of a farm! Was sure I'd taken a wrong turn, until emerging on the other side of the farmyard into a junction. Much more relaxed approach to highway regulations in the country it seems

I've not ridden in the Peak District yet. I'm originally from Chester so have done a fair bit in North Wales and need to plan a route through the peaks one day (hopefully to visit Family in Yorkshire so I can stop over night!). I'm also a mountain biker and I'm heading out with a few mates to ride all the classic trails around Dark Peak at the end of July, very excited about it! :)

King Boonen said:
postmanhat said:
I've not ridden in the Peak District yet. I'm originally from Chester so have done a fair bit in North Wales and need to plan a route through the peaks one day (hopefully to visit Family in Yorkshire so I can stop over night!). I'm also a mountain biker and I'm heading out with a few mates to ride all the classic trails around Dark Peak at the end of July, very excited about it! :)

Am far too unfit to get up to the Dark Peak proper. Just north of Bakewell is about as far as I've managed so far. Am too scaredy for MTBing :eek: Was clambering up a trail to Stannadge Edge last year and a couple came hareing down the other way. Must have been 33% at least and basically just rocks. Couldn't believe it!

Never been to North Wales. What's the riding like?

I have been riding hills for the past 2 months in the Dandenongs in Melbourne with friends. A big change from the usual rides which are pretty much flat. I have always enjoyed climbing but the opportunities have been limited due to flat terrain locally in Melbourne. Whilst my speed work has suffered the climbing has become much easier and consistent and I have gained endurance in climbing. I will be returning to my usual rides with the local shop bunch next weekend but the exhilaration and immense satisfaction I get from climbing will be missing. I think I am a highlander rather than a flatlander.

Re:

AussieBob said:
I have been riding hills for the past 2 months in the Dandenongs in Melbourne with friends. A big change from the usual rides which are pretty much flat. I have always enjoyed climbing but the opportunities have been limited due to flat terrain locally in Melbourne. Whilst my speed work has suffered the climbing has become much easier and consistent and I have gained endurance in climbing. I will be returning to my usual rides with the local shop bunch next weekend but the exhilaration and immense satisfaction I get from climbing will be missing. I think I am a highlander rather than a flatlander.

Same here. Though in my case am too lazy to ride hard on the flat :eek: If I pass someone on a hill, nine times out of ten they'll sail by me when it levels out

Edged into the Dark Peak that KB was referring to. As you can see it tends to be bleaker, exposed moorland, and ALWAYS windy. Not really my cup of tea unless I'm in Stannard mode

IMG_0025_zpsvnnrnhoq.jpg

Back to more scenic stuff. This is part of The Derwent Valley that the Tour of Britain will pass through on stage six. Unfortunately, they're bypassing all the famous climbs around Matlock and going up Cromford Hill a few miles down the road

IMG_0026_zps0sue8aau.jpg

One of those new-fangled payphones :)

IMG_0029_zpsxloetily.jpg

postmanhat said:
King Boonen said:
postmanhat said:

Am far too unfit to get up to the Dark Peak proper. Just north of Bakewell is about as far as I've managed so far. Am too scaredy for MTBing :eek: Was clambering up a trail to Stannadge Edge last year and a couple came hareing down the other way. Must have been 33% at least and basically just rocks. Couldn't believe it!

Never been to North Wales. What's the riding like?

I love MTB, will be doing Fort William DH world cup track on my hardtail in a couple of weeks (probably very slowly!! :D ). I'm thinking of riding from Chester to Nottingham on my fixed wheel over the Cat and Fiddle. I've been told if you pick your route right the climbing isn't too bad in the south Peaks. I fancied Winnats but that would require a smaller sprocket and flipping the wheel, which I can never be bothered to do :)

North Wales is great, there's some fantastic climbing roads in the region. It can be quite busy with cars, especially around the popular places like Llangollen, but I've never had any problems there. There's the RiseAbove Sportive on August 9th, going to be tough:

profile185.png

Y-axis is metres...

Edit: Well that's a rubbish way for them to host images! It's the extremist route here:

http://www.riseabovesportive.com/#routes

P1300049.jpg

P1300058.jpg

Beautiful :)

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I think there is a conspiracy to keep me off my bike. Since my last ride I have been working 12 hours a day 6 days a week and half days on Sunday. It finally eased up this week and the rain has set in. Thunderstorms all week. I don't mind a little light rain. But I am not going out in thunderstorms. I prefer not to be a lightning rod or someones hood ornament. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day and I will get out for a ride. I feel like a drug addict going through withdrawl.

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Went out for a relaxing ride between storms. Rode about 30 miles. Stopped at a nice spot that has a view. Thought I would share it. This has to be why I enjoy riding. You get to see the surrounding area. Not just drive through it. You get to be part of it. I wonder if the guys in the pro races actually get to enjoy their surroundings. They race in some of the most scenic places on earth. How much of it do they really see?

I will not be riding that Sportive :(

I cut the end off my finger in my fixed wheel drive-chain. Fell over while fitting mudguards, grabbed out to steady myself, grabbed the chain and shoulder landed on the pedal. That was that. Fortunately they managed to reattach it and it looks like it will be fine (tendon and some finger-pad weren't severed but the bone was) and I should be back on the bike by end of July but won't be fit enough to ride the Sportive.

Who wants to see the post-op photo..?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:

I cut the end off my finger in my fixed wheel drive-chain. Fell over while fitting mudguards, grabbed out to steady myself, grabbed the chain and shoulder landed on the pedal. That was that. Fortunately they managed to reattach it and it looks like it will be fine (tendon and some finger-pad weren't severed but the bone was) and I should be back on the bike by end of July but won't be fit enough to ride the Sportive.

Tough luck KB, That must have hurt!!

I think a full gallery in a stickied thread would be appreciated by all members ;)

Re: Re:

mrhender said:
King Boonen said:

Tough luck KB, That must have hurt!!

I think a full gallery in a stickied thread would be appreciated by all members ;)

Surprisingly it never actually hurt! Adrenaline is great stuff obviously, but I'll never forget the sound it made. My phone was dead so I don't have any photos of when you could see the split bone inside it, but I've got a post surgery one where you can kind of see where it split across the nail bed...

Re:

King Boonen said:

Not fun! Ouch....protect the hand now! Glad to hear it will heal though.
If you don't mind, post the pic. :)

Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn. Hope it's on the mend. Any time off work to watch the Tour?

Thanks for posting the photos. Caught an interview with Gee Atherton who said North Wales was the only place you get continental style climbs here. They look spectacular!

Re the epic Chester to Nottingham, the only advice I could offer is from Bakewell for the last 45-50 miles. Very flat if you follow the main roads, and some nice riding as A roads go, particularly the Bakewell-Derby section

postmanhat said:
Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn. Hope it's on the mend. Any time off work to watch the Tour?

Thanks for posting the photos. Caught an interview with Gee Atherton who said North Wales was the only place you get continental style climbs here. They look spectacular!

Re the epic Chester to Nottingham, the only advice I could offer is from Bakewell for the last 45-50 miles. Very flat if you follow the main roads, and some nice riding as A roads go, particularly the Bakewell-Derby section

Finger chewed up on the Monday at 11pm, surgery at 11am on Tuesday, out of hospital be 6:30pm Tuesday, back in work Friday. Offered time off so going to take a day here and there over the next couple of weeks as I'm in and out of the hospital to get stitches removed, the k wire removed, check-ups etc.

It's a great place to ride. You don't get the height or metres gain of the continent but you can get the views. If you mountain bike around there you can bump into the Athertons quite a bit! Belach Na Ba in North West Scotland is the closest to an alpine climb in the UK. I've not tackled it yet but want to this year:

bealach-na-ba-simon-li-640x426.jpg

http://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/bealach-na-ba/

Would be looking for a bit of climbing on the way there, flat on the way back a couple of days later so will give you a shout.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Though luck, King Boonen, that looks painful.

Back on topic, I've had a great time in the Dolomites last week. We enjoyed some great rides over beautiful Passo's, including the Giau, Fedaia, Sella Ronda (Campalongo, Gardena, Sella, Pordoi), Falzarego/Valparola and what have you.

Some pictures:

Attachments

• passo_giau_r.jpg
    passo_giau_r.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 2,838
  • passo_falzarego_r.jpg
    passo_falzarego_r.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,838
  • passo_sella_r.jpg
    passo_sella_r.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,838
Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I started cycling ten months ago when I bought a ten dollar bicycle at a yard sale in Daytona beach. This soon became my only mode of transportation. It was too small for me and heavy but I would ride it about 15 miles per day. Three months ago I upgraded to a newer giant bike the performance as you can imagine was a dream come true for me. I started riding 40 miles per day in Florida with temperatures in the nineties and humidity around the same. I have lost 42 pounds and feel great. I am 66 years old and I want to cycle from Florida to san Jose California which is 2884 miles away. Help me out what should I take with me and how should I prepare,I am not going to be racing but I do want to get there in about 45 days.
Joseph

two wheels said:
I started cycling ten months ago when I bought a ten dollar bicycle at a yard sale in Daytona beach. This soon became my only mode of transportation. It was too small for me and heavy but I would ride it about 15 miles per day. Three months ago I upgraded to a newer giant bike the performance as you can imagine was a dream come true for me. I started riding 40 miles per day in Florida with temperatures in the nineties and humidity around the same. I have lost 42 pounds and feel great. I am 66 years old and I want to cycle from Florida to san Jose California which is 2884 miles away. Help me out what should I take with me and how should I prepare,I am not going to be racing but I do want to get there in about 45 days.
Joseph

Congrats on all your riding and improved fitness! Cross country riding is a dream of mine...I'll do it some day I hope. I just have to have to find a spare month and a half first....maybe once I'm retired. :) I'll let people who have done long trip rides answer your question. Good luck!

Today I rode North towards Dulles International Airport. Rt. 28 N bound is one of the bigger, busier, wider roads that bikes are allowed on. All the traffic does make for some better drafting! It gets a little sketchy at times with lanes exiting off and merging on. The road shoulder keeps "shifting." Definitely have to stay on high alert. It was a busy day...only did 46 k/28.5 m today.

0715151241a.jpg

Had to pull off to an exit lane to take this pic. No pics while riding. :)

TRENDING THREADS