• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The "Where did you ride your bike today?" Thread...

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
30 climbs yesterday up spring hill 53x24, did the same on Saturday and this morning did my usual round of climbing around Highgate crouch end area.
God I'm fit :D
I'm not riding tomorrow. Also on intermittent eating programme as I am lifting more weights than usual and it helps with growth hormone release. Do your research people its out there. Published scientific papers. Facts.
I want to build bigger muscle as cycling will allow with out sacrificing my climbing ability. Its not a diet I will still woof down the food its about timing and making your body work best. I'm only eating between 6-10pm.
Going to get my testosterone levels checked next week, Its important to make sure your working well.
Don't forget everyone drink that water in the morning.

Re:

King Boonen said:
197km, 2650m climbing, one gear :)

Drop your SRM files, GPS track, pictures with the fixie and some hills in the background, preferably with date stamped on it (digitalized image of printed instax pic taken on spot). Also, video of your SRM screen so we know you didn't data-dope or photoshop anything. Else it didn't happen. :D

Re:

42x16ss said:
Been stuck on the stationary bike at the gym for 6 weeks thanks to a broken scaphoid from being hit by a car :(

Luckily I recorded the amazing spectacles that were Flanders and Paris Roubaix - this and the scenery in spin classes (with a 45 min warmup and cool down) have kept me sane the past few weeks.

Hopefully I get the all clear to get back on the bike this week, because my new frame has arrived and we're building it up this weekend :D

Ah man that sucks! I never like to hear about people crashing, especially when cars are involved....Hope you continue to feel better.

Re:

ray j willings said:
30 climbs yesterday up spring hill 53x24, did the same on Saturday and this morning did my usual round of climbing around Highgate crouch end area.
I'm not riding tomorrow. Also on intermittent eating programme as I am lifting more weights than usual and it helps with growth hormone release. Do your research people its out there. Published scientific papers. Facts.
I want to build bigger muscle as cycling will allow with out sacrificing my climbing ability. Its not a diet I will still woof down the food its about timing and making your body work best. I'm only eating between 6-10pm.
Going to get my testosterone levels checked next week, Its important to make sure your working well.
I'm curious to hear the results of your diet Ray, I've always thought that eating so late before bedtime was detrimental to healthy diet. I'm assuming that you don't stay up all night but it's possible you do, or stay up very late. I'm usually sleeping by 10pm, if I waited to eat until then every day I would blow up like a balloon I think.

Yesterday I rode the Daffodil Classic, at the base of Mount Rainier for 65 miles. Weather was perfect and the mountain was out in all it's glory.

Great day to be alive! :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
ray j willings said:
I'm curious to hear the results of your diet Ray, I've always thought that eating so late before bedtime was detrimental to healthy diet. I'm assuming that you don't stay up all night but it's possible you do, or stay up very late. I'm usually sleeping by 10pm, if I waited to eat until then every day I would blow up like a balloon I think.

Yesterday I rode the Daffodil Classic, at the base of Mount Rainier for 65 miles. Weather was perfect and the mountain was out in all it's glory.

I go to bed around 11pm. I have already had my last bit of food 9pm.
I have been reading up, Looked at some specific data relating to intermittent fasting and weight training and also the benefits it has on aging. I usually just eat what I feel like but this seems very interesting just a bit concerned how it will effect my rides. I will stick at for at least 3 months and let you know. A lot of you tubers have used it as a successful way to drop weight which is interesting. The only time I have not eaten was when I deliberately lost weight to see how low I could go and see if I would climb better.
I lost about 2 stone and I remember how much I suffered going up alp d huez. I went straight back to eating again.
You just cannot lose that much weight and keep power without being jacked up. I just don't think its possible.
You are what you eat and quick fix's never work.

I wish I had a mountain to go up everyday . Jealous. At least the we have had nice weather in London.

Jspear said:
42x16ss said:
Been stuck on the stationary bike at the gym for 6 weeks thanks to a broken scaphoid from being hit by a car :(

Luckily I recorded the amazing spectacles that were Flanders and Paris Roubaix - this and the scenery in spin classes (with a 45 min warmup and cool down) have kept me sane the past few weeks.

Hopefully I get the all clear to get back on the bike this week, because my new frame has arrived and we're building it up this weekend :D

Ah man that sucks! I never like to hear about people crashing, especially when cars are involved....Hope you continue to feel better.
All is well - got word back from the doctor today. Now all that's left is to build this bad boy up :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 915
Re:

BigMac said:
King Boonen said:

Drop your SRM files, GPS track, pictures with the fixie and some hills in the background, preferably with date stamped on it (digitalized image of printed instax pic taken on spot). Also, video of your SRM screen so we know you didn't data-dope or photoshop anything. Else it didn't happen. :D

I don't do power meters I'm afraid. I have a picture of Ben More from Crianlarich, but it's not very good. The weather wasn't great but I'll take some now the sun seems to be coming out to play!

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
Looked a stunning cycle, cracking effort

Cheers fella, would be fairly easy to modify to do it from your side. That climb up Glen Ogle was horrible. It's not steep but you get the wind in your face the whole way and it's a busy road. Last time I went that way I went up the cyclepath and over the old viaduct. Steeper climb but a much better option, I just didn't know I was in the same glen until I looked across and recognised the viaduct! The part between Wester Lix and Crianlarich was hard going too with the wind. It's a good route though, I really like some of those climbs, especially the Dukes Pass and it works well with an 81" gear.

Jspear said:
King Boonen said:

You continue to baffle me in your climbing with one gear. :p

But of course we all find different things that we love...whatever works!

Cheers, seems to work very well for me at the moment. The only issue is time. I've settled on an 81" (54x18) gear for anything that doesn't get much above 10% for long sections and 15% in the corners. It works ok but is slow going. The issue is if I run anything smaller then it's harder to hold a decent pace on the flat and the ride takes longer. The 81" seems to balance both best, I've tried a 74" but it's a bit too spinny coming downhill and on the flat. This route had a fair amount of flat in it, if it was more up and down I'd probably pick the 74" (44x16), even a 70" (44x17) if it's really steep. I did acutally have a 16T (would have given a 91", 54x16) on the other side of the wheel and was intending to flip it for the flatter parts, but I decided to see how I went on the 81". Next time, if there are long flat sections I'll probably flip it, gives me an extra 5+kph usually.

kwikki said:
Good one.

That's not an easy 200k you did.

Cheers. It was my clubs spring TT weekend. I considered it but I'm not much of a TT fan, they're boring, so I decided to do something fun instead!

42x16ss said:
Jspear said:
42x16ss said:

All is well - got word back from the doctor today. Now all that's left is to build this bad boy up :cool:

Ah nice! Have fun! What sort of components are you going to use?

ray j willings said:
Irondan said:
ray j willings said:

I go to bed around 11pm. I have already had my last bit of food 9pm.
I have been reading up, Looked at some specific data relating to intermittent fasting and weight training and also the benefits it has on aging. I usually just eat what I feel like but this seems very interesting just a bit concerned how it will effect my rides. I will stick at for at least 3 months and let you know. A lot of you tubers have used it as a successful way to drop weight which is interesting. The only time I have not eaten was when I deliberately lost weight to see how low I could go and see if I would climb better.
I lost about 2 stone and I remember how much I suffered going up alp d huez. I went straight back to eating again.
You just cannot lose that much weight and keep power without being jacked up. I just don't think its possible.
You are what you eat and quick fix's never work.

I wish I had a mountain to go up everyday . Jealous. At least the we have had nice weather in London.

I don't know much about losing weight (since I've never had to try), but I'm pretty sure this isn't the best way to lose weight. It's probably why your climbing wasn't so good.

Froome would beg to differ. ;)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Your right Jspear . I knew I was going over to the alps so I went on a almost starvation diet. I lost 2 stone in a very short time and thought I would climb like chicken instead I actually climbed like a real chicken trying to ride a bike . I sort of knew before I went as I could feel my strength going away but I thought a weeks rest before the trip eat a wee bit more and I would be all good. Disaster. Live and learn and then make the same mistakes again.

Jspear said:
42x16ss said:
Jspear said:
42x16ss said:

Ah nice! Have fun! What sort of components are you going to use?
I'm using the current Campagnolo Chorus, my chainset and front derailleur from my old frame are still ok and their insurance company is paying me out for the rest of the groupset. Can't wait to get it together!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
First Misurina from Dobbiaco/Toblach, then Tre Croci, down to Cortina d'Ampezzo, Passo Falzarego from Cortina, then down to Cortina once again and back home, almost 109km. I had pretty good legs and the weather was nice, in Cortina we had 10°C and sunshine in the morning, on the climb t was even a bit warmer, never above 15°C but lots of sunshine, it was great.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Big crash. Something stuck in my front wheel and over I went. Helmet smashed, heavily bruised hip, loads of road rash and skin lost on left hand, elbow, knee and shoulder. Kit ruined, pretty annoyed.

Sorry to hear that KB. Hope you back up and riding ASAP

TRENDING THREADS