• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The World According to Lance - 4 Corners

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
PACONi said:
This is the part of the story I want to be in the public domain. That way people will stop thinking he was 'just doing what everyone else was' and that his charity work makes up for his cheating.
I hate to think this way but how much Livesterong money has been used to try and silence people & hush/coveup money

AussieEdge said:
I hate to think this way but how much Livesterong money has been used to try and silence people & hush/coveup money

This is where the Federal Investigation would have been so powerful it if finished what it started. It had the power to look at all these components end to end.

If the Federal investigation began today I don’t think they’d be the public resistance like there was last time.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
AussieEdge said:

I think the website fraudbytes does some work on this. In the post-mortem of the lance armstrong hoax, there is going to be a lot of investigation I believe in just how much the livestrong 'thing' was primarily a tool of branding this divine-like image of the hoaxster and then secondarily serving its actual stated purpose. As things got hotter (the facts became more evident) they would do more charitable acts and sort of wax and wane as the heat went on and off. Just my .02

This is realy the crux of the hoax. Landis, Contador, Rasmussen Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens Milli Vanill- whoops, ...those are all stories we re used to hearing. It's the use of the wins by doping to elevate himself is where he took it into a new realm. Barry Bonds comes a little close in America because the Home run record is special. But that isn't really that close. Plus he was so un-likable it really was easy to dismiss him.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
This is where the Federal Investigation would have been so powerful it if finished what it started. It had the power to look at all these components end to end.

If the Federal investigation began today I don’t think they’d be the public resistance like there was last time.

The circumstances surrounding the sudden and mysterious 'end' to the case itself is in need of a public airing to put it in more proper context now of how insidious this whole hoax rooted itself.

Did you guys see how fine Betsy is? Now I see why Frankie wouldnt trade her for a TdF stage win.

Kidding aside. brunettes beat the blondes in this saga.

Glad this story is getting some proper mainstream exposure.

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Re the hospital bed confession: What about the doc(s) in there. Have they not been asked? I'm sure there is a written record. Is there some confidentiality there? It seems like Novitzky could get around that. I've never heard this brought up.

Welcome to me

stevie47 said:
Re the hospital bed confession: What about the doc(s) in there. Have they not been asked? I'm sure there is a written record. Is there some confidentiality there? It seems like Novitzky could get around that. I've never heard this brought up.

Welcome to me

No they just got paid (grant 1.5m). And provided a nice affidavit that they never asked in regards to PEDs.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
No they just got paid (grant 1.5m). And provided a nice affidavit that they never asked in regards to PEDs.

Plus Armstrong's oncologist, Dr. Craig Nichols, who was on the hospital staff at the time and became a LAF ("Livestrong") board member from establishment, provided a dubious affidavit about that hospital conversation (I believe he denied it took place when the honest witnesses in that room claim he was not present).

In appreciation LAF provided a $500,000 research donation to his new employer in 2006.

Both these donations/grants amounting to $2m were in breach of LAF's revised mission of being an awareness and support foundation for cancer sufferers and not a research funder.

stevie47 said:

Welcome to me

I could be off base, but my recollection was that the doctors asking the questions for general background information were some sort of interns, and they were never actually found/named/located so they could not be asked directly under oath during SCA. Also, that Armstrong's actual doctor/oncologist was never actually in the room at this time, and his later statements were only stating that there is nothing in the file about the question and response. The interns who were in the room collecting the information, and their identity mysteriously went p00f!

Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
Also, that Armstrong's actual doctor/oncologist was never actually in the room at this time

I understand Nichols' statement was that he "did not hear such a statement" or words to that effect. A clever way to infer that he was there but the discussion never took place. Great way to confuse the ignorant fan who would expect him to be there asking the question as he was the treating oncologist.

Clever of course also as he was factually correct (as he was NOT there) but never perjured himself (as opposed to Stephanie McIlvain).

I saw the 4Corners report on cyclingtorrents. I downloaded it. Very well reported. Chapeau to Betsy. She was exceptional, and yet very restrained considering what Lance has tried to do to her reputation. Same with Emma O'Reilly. If more cyclists exhibited the same strength of character, pro cycling would be in better shape. Which is strange, since so many of these guys visit gynecologists.

May 26, 2011
Visit site
ESPN UK to broadcast - 'The World According to Lance'.

UK Premiere on ESPN UK - Fri 2nd @ 10pm.

The World According to Lance

A one-off documentary about the disgraced cyclist.

The doc is produced by Australian public broadcast ABC for its investigative journalism programme Four Corners. The 45mins show is fronted by ABC reporter Quentin McDermott who interviews people who worked for Armstrong and those who competed with and against him. The doc traces events from before when Armstrong was diagnosed with cancer and detail over a decade of alleged drug taking.

After winning the Tour de France seven times in a row, Lance Armstrong might well have been the greatest sportsman of all time.

Not only had he won the most coveted of all cycling races, he had done so after recovering from advanced testicular cancer.

Lance Armstrong maintains he has never used performance enhancing drugs.

He claims he has never tested positive in hundreds of drug tests.

Many who know him well now say he is lying.

"The doctor started asking Lance a couple of banal questions, and then boom, have you ever used any performance enhancing drugs? Lance, hanging onto his IV, rattled off EPO, testosterone, cortisone, growth hormone and steroids. My eyes popped out of my head."

Next on Four Corners reporter Quentin McDermott talks to people who worked for Armstrong, rode with him and some who raced against him. What they reveal will shock you.

The story they tell describes a ruthless competitor who will do anything to win races and earn millions of dollars in prize money and endorsements. These people tell a story that details over ten years of drug use, that began before he was diagnosed with cancer. They also tell a story of a man prepared to vilify former friends and employees if they dare to cross him.

How did he get away with it? Why did officials fail to act against him when, on three separate occasions, drug test results raised questions about his use of drugs? Why did the world governing body for cycling accept donations from him that clearly compromised its ability to treat Armstrong as they would any other competitor?

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Everyone needs to chill out with new threads. It's getting far too much, there are some brilliant threads on page 4/5 which are getting drowned out. I realise so much is happening but please think about whether your post can be allocated to a thread before starting a new one.

Don't want to be a moan but unless Pat has martyred himself in Aigle town centre have a think whether a new thread is needed.

Not directing at this OP just need to say somewhere.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I saw the 4Corners report on cyclingtorrents. I downloaded it. Very well reported. Chapeau to Betsy. She was exceptional, and yet very restrained considering what Lance has tried to do to her reputation. Same with Emma O'Reilly. If more cyclists exhibited the same strength of character, pro cycling would be in better shape. Which is strange, since so many of these guys visit gynecologists.
but the cyclists have.

the pro peloton has an intimidating and athletically insurmountable barrier to entry = doping.

only those who wear a yellow wristband are allowed to enter.

a little like a nightclub. studio 54? instead of coke, substitute edgar, unless you are tommeke

so doubt expect the cyclists to do their about face and find damascus. It is college and greg strock or the road.

TRENDING THREADS