• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The worst Grand Tour you can remember

I don't know, there is still more than one week to go with a lot of climbing involved, one historical image (the maillot jaune running on the Ventoux without a bike), a maillot vert and a maillot jaune finishing first and second in a stage for the first time since 1974.

Froome's attack on the descent on its own made this Tour better than 2012.

Throw in Froome's attack in the crosswinds and the whole Ventoux chaos and this really isn't going to go down as such a bad GT. If only Froome had a rival to spice up the GC battle or Sagan to spice up the green jersey battle

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Well I have been enjoying it. I stopped watching the tour on TV for about 10 years halfway through Indurain's succession of victories*, they were just dull. Sure there were exciting moments, but overall?*

This one I can still see getting very interesting.

*so I never saw Lance win a tour! Caught a break there didn't I?

Contador out of contention at the first stage, Porte also loosing time for a flat tire, SKY controlling the race as always, no GC battle at all, Quintana looking bad at the moment, the madness of yesterday in Ventoux... I find this TdF hard to watch at the moment.
The only positive thing I find is Sagan and some of the stage winners.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:
Contador out of contention at the first stage, Porte also loosing time for a flat tire, SKY controlling the race as always, no GC battle at all, Quintana looking bad at the moment, the madness of yesterday in Ventoux... I find this TdF hard to watch at the moment.

it's about how your favourite riders perform, if you're cheering for Contador this certainly going to be one of the worst

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well this Tour on average hasn't been great.

Yet there have been some insane moments of drama/excitement that pull it up.

Already there have been 3 moments this TDF that have been better than almost any single moment I can remember in any GT.

Basically goes from 0 to 100 incredibly fast.

So no, it's for sure not the worst GT, especially since it's not over.

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Fernandez said:

The GC is actually quite competitive not just Froome vs Quintana like everyone expected. Yates and Mollema are within a minute, Porte looks good and we haven't hit the time trial yet

Re: Re:

Guybrush said:
Fernandez said:

it's about how your favourite riders perform, if you're cheering for Contador this certainly going to be one of the worst
I dont cheer for Contador, Im not a fan of him. I just expect a good GC battle; and in this Tour the GC fight has been a disgrace so far. I wish the Tour could recover from these first half.

This GT is very disappointing for me ...there is no real competition for Froome & SKY ...they are too strong
For Tour to be good imo contenders need to be evenly matched, there needs to be a sense of uncertainty and unknown...there also needs to be some epic climbing

It could yet get better but Quintana does not look like a man that is going to launch a massive attack
The white jersey & green jersey are also sown up

The 2012 Tour was boring as the race was sown up with Evans not able to provide adequate competition to SKY who had like at this Tour an exceptionally strong team (Froome & Porte as doms ffs)

Re:

gazr99 said:
Swear this topic is brought after almost every Grand Tour nowadays, only 12 days in GC battle has only just started
Exactly, it comes up after every GT, but not 2/3 of the way in. People just like to complain...FYI the 2016 Vuelta is the worst GT ever! :rolleyes:

EDIT: I think that some people prefer the top fuel days, or maybe that was their introduction to pro cycling/TdF so they use that as the reference for 'good' racing.

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Froome attacks on a downhill and gains time. Froome amazingly follows Sagan on a sprinters stage and gains time. Froome crashes and resorts to running uphill.

And this is one of the worst TDFs ever?

We haven't had a really great MTF finish yet. (I'm not counting the drama on Ventoux as it was interesting for the wrong reasons.) But the rest of the days have been compelling with wind, descending, and the rainstorm on Arcalis. I would also add that 2009 was a terrible TDF edition, especially the route.

Re: Re:

Guybrush said:
Fernandez said:

Maybe it's about how your favourite riders perform if you are a one-eyed partisan of any of the big 4 GC riders. But if you aren't, I think a somewhat more objective assessment is possible. A lot of riders I like are doing pretty well this Tour, Mollema, Yates, Martin, Bardet etc. But it's still been a bad Tour so far.

Not the worst Grand Tour I can remember though. It's not even close to the TdeF 2012.

TRENDING THREADS