• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Zero Pointers CQ Game 2018

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Jancouver had an interesting idea in the 2018 CQ Ranking Manager thread http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2215208#p2215208: The Zero Pointers Game.

As many of you who play the main game will search for zero pointers anyway to fill up your 33 riders roster, I thought I give it a go.

Here are the Rules (stolen from skidmark):

The game is based on the point system developed by the website www.cqranking.com. Based on this system you will have to select a team of exactly 10 riders who collected 0 points in 2017. Riders who have no CQ sheet yet are eligible.

Your aim then is to select a team of riders who will score the most during the 2018 season. The winner of the game is the one who has selected the team with the highest combined value when the game ends.

Feel free to post this game also on the velorooms forum, I'm not registered over there.

1. How the game works

1.1. Start & Finish
The season starts when the first race giving CQ points is held (which is the Aussie National TT Championships on January 5th) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race is out.

1.2 Updates
Every two to four weeks, depending on my time and the success of the chosen riders.

2. On doping

2.1. On ex-dopers
All riders are available to choose, except for riders who are provisionally suspended by the UCI (as of their most recent list).

2.2. Riders getting caught during the season
If you include a rider in your team who gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, nothing happens right away. Your rider keeps his points unless the cqranking.com deletes his results before the end of the game.

Basically, the value of a rider on cqranking.com always stands.

3. Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?

You pick exactly 10 riders who collected 0 points in 2017 and send the list to me.

As I will manually have to include the teams into the Microsoft Excel file which keeps track of the scores, please be careful that you send your team to me based on the correct formula. I don’t take any responsibility for any error you might make. If I spot an error I will do my best to contact you but I can’t guarantee anything. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask either here in this thread or by sending a personal message.

The layout you need to use is this:

VAN AVERMAET Greg
CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto
Etc.

Nothing else. No points after the name. Also, be careful that there is no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually, but can't always detect these things in time for the game. If there is an error that isn't discovered until after the game starts, the rider will simply be deleted from the team without replacement.

3.2. Submission Deadline
The first race of the season will start January 5, so I want to have your team in hand on January 4 23:59 CET at the latest.

I will pm my team to the first submitting their team.

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for organising this - I have submitted a team. Suspect it wont do very well, but at least you cant end up making fewer points than last season in this game :)

Re:

scrooll07 said:
Guys,how do you find the 0 pointers?When I go to the last page of CQ ranking it end on riders with 1 point.
Good advice by Armchair! Another way and maybe easier is to create your own subranking. You simply select CQ value = 0 and get a very long list. You can even filter more by adding year of birth and country filters. Good luck in finding the hidden gems :razz:

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re:

vladimir said:
Team submitted. Found a couple I might have considered for the main CQ game as well, but do not dare to do any changes there now. Good luck all!

Likewise.

scrooll07, if you know riders by name you can also look out for those who begin their first year in the U23 ranks, they might not have a cq sheet yet, meaning they are zero pointers as well.

Thanks for all entries so far. Not surprisingly, there are 2 riders on every team, but every team has at least one unique rider.

Team submitted. Would have liked only to include PROF and CONT riders, but at least one on PRT is a no-brainer. I'm not sure if the other one is the second rider on all teams, but I would say one of the PROF riders are more of a given.

Thanks for initiating the game!

Re: Re:

vladimir said:
scrooll07 said:
Guys,how do you find the 0 pointers?When I go to the last page of CQ ranking it end on riders with 1 point.
Good advice by Armchair! Another way and maybe easier is to create your own subranking. You simply select CQ value = 0 and get a very long list. You can even filter more by adding year of birth and country filters. Good luck in finding the hidden gems :razz:

aaaaaaahhhhh! Mauricio Ardila, Jose Rujano, Matias Medici, Eugen Wacker,... all these wonderful riders I had almost forgotten about! :eek:

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
17 teams in so far:
Armchair cyclist
AupaPyama
Blues in the bottle
del1962
escartin
Jancouver
jsem94
Kazistuta
Leadbelly
LosBrolin
monsieur_hulot
NairoQ
rote_laterne
scrooll07
search
Squire
vladimir

Thanks for your interest, most teams have at least one unique rider, all teams have 2 riders in common.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

rote_laterne said:
17 teams in so far:
Armchair cyclist
AupaPyama
Blues in the bottle
del1962
escartin
Jancouver
jsem94
Kazistuta
Leadbelly
LosBrolin
monsieur_hulot
NairoQ
rote_laterne
scrooll07
search
Squire
vladimir

Thanks for your interest, most teams have at least one unique rider, all teams have 2 riders in common.

This is the only game where I have a real shot at making the TOP10. I love it! :D