• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
bob.a.feet said:
Tonton said:
He could definitely make the podium.
Would be more enthusiastic if Romain Bardet decides to race the 2017 Giro. Since he could really win it against Nibali and Aru!

If Bardet can do it, as you wrote, Pinot can do it. I'm not giving up on my guy :) . He has proven times and times again that he can beat Bardet, or pretty much anyone, i.e. Romandie. He was cooked at the Dauphine, even though he beat...Bardet for a stage win, took some rest, then his French Championships were good, and he got cooked again at the Tour. And we still don't know why, if it's overtraining (i.e. peaking too early), sickness...

No doubt he'll be back. The revenge of Tibopino ;) .

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Taking your role as Pinot's fairy godfather appropriately seriously, I see. :p

Allez Thibaut! To the Giro win! (Maybe it's the heat which gets to him, in which case Il Giro ought to be perfect.)

Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Taking your role as Pinot's fairy godfather appropriately seriously, I see. :p

Allez Thibaut! To the Giro win! (Maybe it's the heat which gets to him, in which case Il Giro ought to be perfect.)
I'm not hiding it, I like the guy, he's cool. And we were born a short bike ride apart. I have seen enough good stuff from him not to believe in him :) .

He rides well in Italy. The Giro is the way to go, and forget the TdF for now. Or do it after a good Giro, where Tibopino can Majka his way to a polka-dot jersey maybe.

What happened at the Tour shouldn't overshadow a great spring.

And, wishful thinking probably, the conspiracy theory:

After a great spring, Thibaut doesn't look good leading up to the Tour, goes there and the sponsor/July French fans are happy. DNF: boos. Pinot is still fresh, is now completely under the radar, and shows up at the Vuelta unheralded. And Boom! If so, Madiot is a genius.

Tonton said:
And, wishful thinking probably, the conspiracy theory:

After a great spring, Thibaut doesn't look good leading up to the Tour, goes there and the sponsor/July French fans are happy. DNF: boos. Pinot is still fresh, is now completely under the radar, and shows up at the Vuelta unheralded. And Boom! If so, Madiot is a genius.

What a good idea :D

On his Facebook, he says that he has had a virus (and now I am less certain 'cause of my almost non-existant French) and that his season is over, and will instead focus on building up for the next season (Tonton, looking at you here to confirm or to trash my translation attempt :D )

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Alexandre B. said:
Simurgh said:
On his Facebook, he says that he has had a virus (and now I am less certain 'cause of my almost non-existant French) and that his season is over, and will instead focus on building up for the next season (Tonton, looking at you here to confirm or to trash my translation attempt :D )
You are right, don't worry. :D

Yep season over. It looks like he really has a hard time digesting his heavy load and quality early season where he raced really well but a lot (43 race days by the star of the Tour). Add to that the massive stress element of being the big french hope for the Tour de France (now that Bardet has a different status, that might be easier to deal with) and he keeps cracking. I hope to seem him in the Giro instead, but if he keeps with the Tour I hope he will stop earlier in the spring, say do Paris Nice + Catalunya and then earlier break to start again in May with Bavaria and such... We will see.

Virus: mono is not clearly spelled as the culprit. Looking at the data he released a few years ago, Thibaut was/is riding more or less 19 thousand km a year. This year, before the Dauphine, according to his Strava data, he was already at close to 15. That's way more than usual.

So I wonder: was it a virus? Yes. If so, what was it? Mono seems to be the answer. Or was it his bro and Grappe being greedy and stupid, and Tibopino was completely over trained, peaked it Romandie, died in the Dauphine, still did great at the French Championship, but showed up at the TdF on an empty tank...

Recently, Strava shows no ride for four weeks after the TdF, a few MTB rides including a KOM :) two weeks ago, then nothing.

As it turns out, he had the perfect set up for the Giro...except that it wasn't the goal...

WTF is going on :mad: ...

Re:

Brullnux said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-keen-to-skip-the-tour-de-france-and-ride-the-giro-ditalia-in-2017/

Great news, let's hope it happens.

Tbh it reads like he's forced to do the Tour de France again, anyway. I expect Bardet at the start line on Sardinia if he wants to. Ag2r also sent Gadret to the Giro back in the day!

Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
Brullnux said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pinot-keen-to-skip-the-tour-de-france-and-ride-the-giro-ditalia-in-2017/

Tbh it reads like he's forced to do the Tour de France again, anyway. I expect Bardet at the start line on Sardinia if he wants to. Ag2r also sent Gadret to the Giro back in the day!
And was forced to race the Tour afterwards. :D

Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
staubsauger said:
Brullnux said:

And was forced to race the Tour afterwards. :D
Haha yeah true words, pal. But that was for stages or simply to be there for pr. They sent him back to the Giro the following year. So Ag2r really does let their leaders (Pozzovivo & Betancur in 2013 as well) do the Giro instead of the Tour if they want to.

Re:

Simurgh said:
Don't know if he should go to the Giro next year, if the Big 4 decides to turn up (100th edition), it could be THE chance for a podium (or perhaps more against fatigued Froome/Quintana) at the Tour. :D

Froome is never gonna dump the Tour for the Giro. As LA did, he will keep riding the Tour year in year out.
No chance next year he's going for the Giro.

Quintana wants a Tour... even more if this year he manages to win La Vuelta. So again no chances to see him at Giro next year.