• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 92 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
tobydawq said:
[ I don't doubt that Pinot can bounce back but I was feeling that he had a genuine shot of winning the Tour. That seems much more unlikely after his time loss but of course his form has not disappeared.

And I haven't seen the interview today so I can't assess how defeated he appeared.
Yes, I was starting to believe, it's not over, but two minutes down after Friday is a mountain to climb (no pun intended - more than one mountain then :) )

Yes, he looked bad, he took a big punch in the gut yesterday. But he said the right things IMO. He said that he 1'40" was not taken but gifted, that he can't accept that. He looked upset. I don't think that anyone could have expected him to crack jokes and do cartwheels...THAT would worry me :) .

A Tour success is absolutely still on the table, whether it's podium, 4th and a stage...maybe better but he needs outside things to happen.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Re:

macbindle said:
Yes, I remember the mechanical incident too.

I'm pretty neutral about Pinot, but I dont think he is a great Tour rider. He hasn't got the requisite mental toughness, and that marks him out as a likely loser. I'm mulling over Tour winners from the past two decades and the only two that came over as even remotely flaky mentally are Wiggins and Evans.

The rest are axe-murderers.

I second this. Unfortunately it is all over. He can maybe podium, but I do not see option that he will win. I am afraid that he will more probably kill himself like last year in Giro in his effort to get time back. I would like to be wrong.

Also do not forget that in current GT's riders have usually 2, may be 3 attacks in their legs. It is very difficult to gain time back.

I am sad for him and also for our highly appreciated Tonton. Amen.

Tonton said:
tobydawq said:
[ I don't doubt that Pinot can bounce back but I was feeling that he had a genuine shot of winning the Tour. That seems much more unlikely after his time loss but of course his form has not disappeared.

And I haven't seen the interview today so I can't assess how defeated he appeared.
Yes, I was starting to believe, it's not over, but two minutes down after Friday is a mountain to climb (no pun intended - more than one mountain then :) )

Yes, he looked bad, he took a big punch in the gut yesterday. But he said the right things IMO. He said that he 1'40" was not taken but gifted, that he can't accept that. He looked upset. I don't think that anyone could have expected him to crack jokes and do cartwheels...THAT would worry me :) .

A Tour success is absolutely still on the table, whether it's podium, 4th and a stage...maybe better but he needs outside things to happen.

In a completely different matter; I just realised that you never confirmed that it in fact was your band that was playing at stage 4 (there is a picture a few posts down in the following link):

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34668&start=100

@tobydawg - Nice :) . It wasn't me, but maybe I have admirers and followers...sorry for them :D .

@lartiste: everyone seems to be the new someone else: I hope that Tibopino is the new Rocky Balboa. I don't know how this will turn out, but unlike most wheel suckers, Tibopino will not go down without a fight. And maybe it's time for others to get theit one bad stroke of luck too. After the Tourmalet, the picture will be much clearer for sure.

Re: Re:

macbindle said:
Blanco said:
macbindle said:
Isnt this just standard Thibault Pinot?

If the French want a Great Tour GC Hope they should look to Alaphilippe and set up a team around him

Yeah, great Grand Tour prospect :rolleyes: He could finish 7th or 8th sometime..

Who? Alapphilippe? Dont agree. If he turned his attention to the podium and had a strong gc team I think he could do it.

He'd have to get a lot better in the mountains for that. Currently he's not a good enough climber.

Thanks for that 51st Birthday present number 51 :) !

So Tibopino delivers on part 1 of his rest day declaration, when he said that he would remember the stage 10 set-back and ride angry in the ITT and in the Tourmalet. If today was the cake for my birthday, I hope that I'll eat the cherry tomorrow at around 11:30am US EST ;) .

Never a dull moment for the Pinot fans. Good, bad or ugly. A lot more good tho'. And I hope that the best is yet to come. Allez Thibaut!!!

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Tonton said:

So Tibopino delivers on part 1 of his rest day declaration, when he said that he would remember the stage 10 set-back and ride angry in the ITT and in the Tourmalet. If today was the cake for my birthday, I hope that I'll eat the cherry tomorrow at around 11:30am US EST ;) .

Never a dull moment for the Pinot fans. Good, bad or ugly. A lot more good tho'. And I hope that the best is yet to come. Allez Thibaut!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :exclaim:

And hope that tomorrow shall be served even better birthday cake!

Allez :exclaim:

**** that loss in the crosswinds, but if he could take 36'' from Thomas today (besides riding away from anyone else), then why not tomorrow or the day after that? He is and has been the truly second strongest rider in this Tour after Alaphilippe. Podium lives! Victory? Still nothing but a dream..but I think I can see something beautiful in the horizon, and it is not the sunset, I'm talking about!!

Besides, a late happy birthday to you, Tonton, and what a gift you have been given!

lartiste said:
Tonton said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :exclaim:

And hope that tomorrow shall be served even better birthday cake!

Allez :exclaim:
Yes!!! What a ride! What a win! Bravo Tibopino!

TRENDING THREADS