• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:
He seems to have peeked way to erly on in the race, has no temates to help him out in the montains, expect him to fade week 2 onwards finishing around 10-15.

LMAO!!!! Peaked too early, the worst statement ive ever heard!!! Peaked too early stage 1 comedy brilliant!!!! Pinot will win the TDF 2015, people on this forum are very bad sporting analysts, they forget 2 important things 1 that sport is always more open than it ever looks anyone can on their day beat anyone with the right forces and 2 in the TDF , the maillot jaune has mystical powers. It makes riders perform 10,20 even 30% better than their form suggests and that despite being a team that should lose 1 or even 2 mins in a ttt when they are riding for and with a rider who they know has the TDF in his grasp they will out perform , the greatest team performance in any sport is in cycling and it is the 2008 Carlos Sastre team win under Bjarne Riis Team SaxoBank, Carlos was never rated by anyone, i seemed to be the only one , but he did it and they did it, no sport should be under estimated or a team or person, anyone can beat anyone. This forum should learn that philosphy. Pinot can win this TDF , right here right now :) lol
Cycling is very predictable sport, all about watts and weight, simple facts are that Pinot's team are not strong enough, even if he is. In the mountains he will be isolated very early on and the other favorites will smell blood, he will be wide open to attacks. Untill he moves from his team he ain't going to win a Grand Tour.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Tonton said:
Ramon Koran said:
He seems to have peeked way to erly on in the race, has no temates to help him out in the montains, expect him to fade week 2 onwards finishing around 10-15.
Last year he had no team mates either and finished 3rd. 10-15? I would bet money, my friend :cool: . He won't fade: actually last year he was really strong week 3. We can't talk about peaking early (it's too early :D ). Let's not get carried away either: it's stage 1. We can't talk about a podium finish just yet. But for sure, he looks good.
I agree that he looks very good, in my opinion too good at this stage in the race, there is no way he can peak for a whole three weeks, so either he is just super strong and will win the tour, or (I think more likely) he will start to fade.

nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

LMAO!!!! Peaked too early, the worst statement ive ever heard!!! Peaked too early stage 1 comedy brilliant!!!! Pinot will win the TDF 2015, people on this forum are very bad sporting analysts, they forget 2 important things 1 that sport is always more open than it ever looks anyone can on their day beat anyone with the right forces and 2 in the TDF , the maillot jaune has mystical powers. It makes riders perform 10,20 even 30% better than their form suggests and that despite being a team that should lose 1 or even 2 mins in a ttt when they are riding for and with a rider who they know has the TDF in his grasp they will out perform , the greatest team performance in any sport is in cycling and it is the 2008 Carlos Sastre team win under Bjarne Riis Team SaxoBank, Carlos was never rated by anyone, i seemed to be the only one , but he did it and they did it, no sport should be under estimated or a team or person, anyone can beat anyone. This forum should learn that philosphy. Pinot can win this TDF , right here right now :) lol
The maillot jaune may have mystical powers but 1.)you can't benefit from them if you don't wear it; 2.) one of the mystical powers it doesn't have is that it doesn't give you a better team.
I think its possible that he wins the tour but its very very very unlikely.

Gigs_98 said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

The maillot jean may have mystical powers but 1.)you can't benefit from them if you don't wear it; 2.) one of the mystical powers it doesn't have is that it doesn't give you a better team.

Who is this Jean? And why would her shirt have mystical powers..?

Ramon Koran said:
Tonton said:
Ramon Koran said:
Last year he had no team mates either and finished 3rd. 10-15? I would bet money, my friend :cool: . He won't fade: actually last year he was really strong week 3. We can't talk about peaking early (it's too early :D ). Let's not get carried away either: it's stage 1. We can't talk about a podium finish just yet. But for sure, he looks good.
I agree that he looks very good, in my opinion too good at this stage in the race, there is no way he can peak for a whole three weeks, so either he is just super strong and will win the tour, or (I think more likely) he will start to fade.
You can't possibly be serious or you're new at this. Of course it is possible to peak for a whole three weeks. that's what their preparation is all about, why these guys have the calendar that they have, training, rest, preparation races, all building up to peaking for three weeks in July. Look at Quintana today: do you think that he prepared to start peaking stage 10? Of course not. :confused: :eek: :mad:

King Boonen said:
Gigs_98 said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

The maillot jean may have mystical powers but 1.)you can't benefit from them if you don't wear it; 2.) one of the mystical powers it doesn't have is that it doesn't give you a better team.

Try throwing water over it and you'll see what he means.

King Boonen said:
Gigs_98 said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

why can't just everyone speak german, my life would be so much easier :(

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

Cycling is very predictable sport, all about watts and weight, simple facts are that Pinot's team are not strong enough, even if he is. In the mountains he will be isolated very early on and the other favorites will smell blood, he will be wide open to attacks. Untill he moves from his team he ain't going to win a Grand Tour.

Cycling is very predictable?! All about watts and weight?!!! Let me guess, Froome will win this Tour, right?

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Ramon Koran said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

Cycling is very predictable?! All about watts and weight?!!! Let me guess, Froome will win this Tour, right?
Remind me of the last time a tour winner was not the one having the highest watts/kg in the mountains or the most power in the time trials.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Tonton said:
Ramon Koran said:
Tonton said:
Ramon Koran said:
You can't possibly be serious or you're new at this. Of course it is possible to peak for a whole three weeks. that's what their preparation is all about, why these guys have the calendar that they have, training, rest, preparation races, all building up to peaking for three weeks in July. Look at Quintana today: do you think that he prepared to start peaking stage 10? Of course not. :confused: :eek: :mad:
Diasagree, some riders like Froome have tried to peak for the third week, I honestly don't believe you can be at peak fitness for above 5-6 days at a time. I still personally believe pinot has peaked to early, guess we will just have to wait and see.

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Pinot will podium, having a team in the mountains for some is necessary but for some it doesnt matter, you just sit behind others and follow the peleton/lead bunch however small it is, that is your team. Having a team for sprinting is a necessity. As for his weight, Pinot aint no fat boy slim fast! problem with many of you is your inside the fishbowl of cycling and sometimes your perspective because of that is limited. Im outside the fishbowl looking in and I am telling you all now you are wildly under-estimating Pinot, he has a fair chance of winning, granted less than 4 others but its fair and he chances of podium are very great. without crashing or illness I almost expect Pinot to podium 75% chance for me. Watch n see! :)

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
nelsonsmen71 said:
Pinot will podium, having a team in the mountains for some is necessary but for some it doesnt matter, you just sit behind others and follow the peleton/lead bunch however small it is, that is your team. Having a team for sprinting is a necessity. As for his weight, Pinot aint no fat boy slim fast! problem with many of you is your inside the fishbowl of cycling and sometimes your perspective because of that is limited. Im outside the fishbowl looking in and I am telling you all now you are wildly under-estimating Pinot, he has a fair chance of winning, granted less than 4 others but its fair and he chances of podium are very great. without crashing or illness I almost expect Pinot to podium 75% chance for me. Watch n see! :)
Disagree on the 75% chance, he needs at least 2 of Contador, Quintana, Froome and nibali to either crash out or flop, and then he still needs to beat the likes of van garderan, uran, to get on the podium. Far from a simple task. I personally think he has a 10-15% chance of getting a podium and a 1% chance of winning

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Ramon Koran said:
Mr.White said:
Ramon Koran said:
nelsonsmen71 said:
Ramon Koran said:

Remind me of the last time a tour winner was not the one having the highest watts/kg in the mountains or the most power in the time trials.

2006 Oscar Pereiro, 2008 Carlos Sastre, 2011 Andy Schleck was stronger in the mountains than Evans, who was not the most powerful TT-ist, and maybe even 2014 with Contador and Froome crashing, who would arguably be stronger in the mountains, Alberto gained few secs on the first mountain finish... And that's only for Tour. You said "cycling is predictable", for other GT races there were more examples, not to mention classics... Cycling is far from predictable, and that's the beauty of this sport. It's not only about watts and weight, far from it...

nelsonsmen71 said:

Dude, no one is underestimating Pinot. You are hyping him up. Most people here put him right under the "big four." And that's right where he is in reality. I think your fanboy mentality has thrown you into the fishing bowl.

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Dude, no one is underestimating Pinot. You are hyping him up. Most people here put him right under the "big four." And that's right where he is in reality. I think your fanboy mentality has thrown you into the fishing bowl.[/quote]

People put him under the top 4 to his form to date and rightly so as you say but he has improved vastly and he has purposely not shown it, not even in Tour Suisse. Some poster said cycling is predictable, that comment is of a poster lacking in sporting understanding particularly in TDF, flat strong wind stages aka today ( Contador and Froome leading, Nibali and Pinot 37 sec back, Valverde and Quintana and Peraud 1min + back ) , cobbles stage, crashes galore, plain ole bad days, descents etc etc etc nothing is predictable about the TDF. Pinot will podium and maybe even win :)

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
nelsonsmen71 said:
Dude, no one is underestimating Pinot. You are hyping him up. Most people here put him right under the "big four." And that's right where he is in reality. I think your fanboy mentality has thrown you into the fishing bowl.

People put him under the top 4 to his form to date and rightly so as you say but he has improved vastly and he has purposely not shown it, not even in Tour Suisse. Some poster said cycling is predictable, that comment is of a poster lacking in sporting understanding particularly in TDF, flat strong wind stages aka today ( Contador and Froome leading, Nibali and Pinot 37 sec back, Valverde and Quintana and Peraud 1min + back ) , cobbles stage, crashes galore, plain ole bad days, descents etc etc etc nothing is predictable about the TDF. Pinot will podium and maybe even win :)[/quote]

I cant believe the teams of Nibali, Pinot, Purito and Quintana ( Astana, FDJ, Katusha and Moviestar not only in 40 km could not get back 1min but let it slide to 1min 30 as it looks with 5km to go, a very exciting TDF just became boring with just Froome and Contador still in it on day 2, very sad. Pinot will get 3rd now :) But hey apparently CYCLING IS PREDICTABLE !!!!

nelsonsmen71 said:
I like your optimism. Today was a setback though. To me top 5 - 75%, podium - 40%, 2nd - 15%, win <5%. Pinot himself (per his interviews) sees the Big 4 as better than him. For now. For a podium,many things need to go well; being on the good side of today's bordure was one of them. Hopefully for him, he won't miss other opportunities, and the other guys will.

TRENDING THREADS