• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has shown that he's among the best, one notch below the top-dogs. He's not a new guy that hasn't proven anything. I agree that Giro-Vuelta would build him a better record. Right now, it must be devastating for him not to peak. After a brilliant TdRomandie, he was weak at the Dauphine, and weak again now. I would question his preparation. Not his heart. And I hope he bounces back.

Tonton said:
He has shown that he's among the best, one notch below the top-dogs. He's not a new guy that hasn't proven anything. I agree that Giro-Vuelta would build him a better record. Right now, it must be devastating for him not to peak. After a brilliant TdRomandie, he was weak at the Dauphine, and weak again now. I would question his preparation. Not his heart. And I hope he bounces back.

How do you explain he was right there when Bardet attacked last wednesday?

I also think he uses a lot of water to cool down, for sure he is not sweating that much.

liamito said:
Tonton said:

How do you explain he was right there when Bardet attacked last wednesday?

I also think he uses a lot of water to cool down, for sure he is not sweating that much.
That's the thing: I can't explain it. His acceleration was sharp, Tibopino responded much better than almost anyone. Now if Thibaut comes now, and he's always candid, saying that he's not peaking, I believe him. Then the other day's acceleration was the only bullet in his gun.

I hope that a stage like tomorrow can build him after two or three climbs, that he'll find his rhythm, start clicking. Otherwise, it's bad news. I was worried after the Dauphine, but the CdF made me feel better. I'm stunned. This is not the Pinot of Romandie. I just hope that he's delayed, and the form is coming. It may be too late.

I know you'd like to think that it doesn't apply to your dear Tibopino, but surely an explanation that belongs to 'that other place' cannot be discarded? Some things in cycling are just too weird, like Nibali on PSM last year.

While heat and a mental collapse like what hrotha alluded to could explain it, I still find it difficult for that to explain just how awful he did today. Yeah, he looked horrible on the two cat.2 climbs Wednesday, but as mentioned here, he did rather well in the end when he followed Bardet.

Bad Tour start so far, first Alberto and now Thibaut :eek: I hope Aru and Bardet will deliver.

Re:

Netserk said:
I know you'd like to think that it doesn't apply to your dear Tibopino, but surely an explanation that belongs to 'that other place' cannot be discarded? Some things in cycling are just too weird, like Nibali on PSM last year.

While heat and a mental collapse like what hrotha alluded to could explain it, I still find it difficult for that to explain just how awful he did today. Yeah, he looked horrible on the two cat.2 climbs Wednesday, but as mentioned here, he did rather well in the end when he followed Bardet.

Bad Tour start so far, first Alberto and now Thibaut :eek: I hope Aru and Bardet will deliver.
It crossed my mind, Netserk ;) . Hope not. And now that you mention Nibali, besides the end of the Giro and the "miracle on wheels", I find him a little underwhelming. Today, I sure thought that he would win. Giro is no excuse on stage 7 of the TdF. Weird.

Glad you didn't call Tibopino overrated. Coming from you, it would stick for ever :D

Let's pray that the Dauphine-TdS swap threw his preparation off, that a long effort tomorrow will build him up, and then, all-out assault. Gotta believe :) .

Re: Re:

The Barb said:
Sciocco said:
He chose to renew even more with a French team so... he's chosen to remain mediocre. Simply not a winner.

God how I hate these kind of comments. Not fair, not kind, not true. The guy is in the top 1% of the top 1% in an ultra competitive endeavour. One can scarcely be further from "mediocre".

Agreed. That kind of trite invective belongs on Facebook threads, not the Forum. :mad:

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I am no expert at this but Pinot on a normal day would have no problem keeping pace with the group so I would consider it safe to say that something is off for him. Whether he peaked too early in the spring or is coming down with something or just had a bad day is up to speculation. It happens though, I mean Contador in 2013, Tejay falling off dramatically last year, Nibali has certainly had his share of bad form along with the good. I don't know if Pinot can recover at this point as he has seemed to be struggling for a couple days now but then again Nibali looked a lot like this at this point last year and still finished fourth which I would imagine would be an acceptable result for most of Pinot's fans. Still a lot of climbing to go and a lot of names are sure to drop down.

Sciocco said:
Tonton said:
Sciocco said:
He chose to renew even more with a French team so... he's chosen to remain mediocre. Simply not a winner.
I don't know what you do for a living. I hope that you have accomplished in your field as much as he has in cycling. TdF podium + 2 stages, TdR 2 stages, TdS 1 stage, Dauphine 1 stage, top-10 Vuelta, podium GDL, among other results. That's a winner in my book :) .

People from Philly can never tell winners from losers: see 76ers, Eagles... :p
Nothing in comparison to a professional athlete. Doesn't change what is an easy observation.

In comparison with the possibly unfair expectations placed upon him as the next great French GC rider. His commitment to a French team shows he's not willing to go for the other GTs which are possibly crucial in building up to that top level. I don't dislike Pinot either, he just seems to lack that tiny bit that could push him to real contention. A Giro or Vuelta where he wins or contends into the final stages for the win would be enough I think. He should've signed with some International team.
He'll do the Giro next year.

Alexandre B. said:
Sciocco said:
Tonton said:
Sciocco said:
I don't know what you do for a living. I hope that you have accomplished in your field as much as he has in cycling. TdF podium + 2 stages, TdR 2 stages, TdS 1 stage, Dauphine 1 stage, top-10 Vuelta, podium GDL, among other results. That's a winner in my book :) .

Nothing in comparison to a professional athlete. Doesn't change what is an easy observation.

In comparison with the possibly unfair expectations placed upon him as the next great French GC rider. His commitment to a French team shows he's not willing to go for the other GTs which are possibly crucial in building up to that top level. I don't dislike Pinot either, he just seems to lack that tiny bit that could push him to real contention. A Giro or Vuelta where he wins or contends into the final stages for the win would be enough I think. He should've signed with some International team.

No chance. The French are all for the Tour. The number one GC rider will be expected to ride the Tour and the team sponsors will expect the same.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Alexandre B. said:
Sciocco said:
Tonton said:
Sciocco said:

No chance. The French are all for the Tour. The number one GC rider will be expected to ride the Tour and the team sponsors will expect the same.

He'll probably do 2018 Giro. 2017 is 100th - Contador'a definitely going, Quintana probably is, Froome may well do so.

I think today Thibaut wanted to ride himself into form if possible. He lost 16 minutes, but I like his reaction: he'll go down with his guns blazing. The goal now seems stage win and maybe KOM. I think he'll take the BOD tomorrow, Virenque his way to the polka dot jersey. Not the scenario I envisioned a week ago :eek: .

Re:

movingtarget said:
Bardet seems to be the only realistic French podium chance now but I think the TTs won't be good for him. I think top 6 is more probable. Might depend on how the BMC riders go. They looked pretty good today.
I'll definitely cheer for Bardet to defeat the forces of evil (a.k.a. the non-French :D ) GC-wise.

Wrt Pinot and Giro, he said earlier this year that he wanted to do the '17 edition. Looking at the field that may race it for the 100th, it could be '18 instead.

Nothing wrong with the content in Sciocco's post - I have no idea why Pinot is performing poorly, though I believe more young French GC guys, should ride for non-French teams - This has to reduce the burden of pressure while these riders will give a more balanced rider schedule - At the end of the day the French public want a Frech rider to win the TDF - I doubt being in a French team matters.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I like that he went out today and gave it a rattle, even though he clearly is in poor shape.
He won't give up. Last year's demise, the struggle, the win at AdH, awoke the spirit of an entire region: Comtois rends-toi, nenni ma foi, the motto of people who fought tooth and nails before France prevailed in 1678, people who resisted the nazis, people who are not rich, but genuine and proud. He makes no excuse. Pinot is more than a French rider, he's a Franc-Comtois rider. That's his fan base. He doesn't want to disappoint them, he'll fight or die trying. Thibaut will go down with style, Ventoux stage watch out. And he's a good guy. Hope that good things happen to good people. Go Tibopino, fly. And do Giro, Vuelta, learn to win big. The 2-year deal is a warning: French lottery or not: without Thibaut, FDJ is nothing.

It most likely the new weight loss fad that Sky intiated. What people fail to realise is not everybody responds to weight loss that Froome does. For some weight loss means power loss and that ruins their preparation. This is the 2nd time it has happened and it is not Pinot but his support staff to blame. Even Sky did not get it perfect with Wiggins for a couple of years and not all the riders they have respond the same way namely EBH. For me it looks like FDJ are trying too hard like Hesjedal.

TRENDING THREADS