• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Post race interview recap: Thibaut admits that he's still not a 100%, states that had he been in good shape he would have won the stage, regrets that he did most of the work, that no one helped. He knew that whomever got a 30 seconds advantage would win considering the lack of cooperation. That he did his best with what means he has at his disposal. Hopes that the form comes.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but he was a lot better today. He had the Thibaut moves.

Two FDJ DNF, citing some sort of stomach bug. Was he sick too? Will we eventually find out that the FDJ cook received sums of cash from Vino and tainted Tibopino's cancoillotte :D ?

Keep the jersey, win one stage, I'll take it. Not what I dreamt of, but it is...what it is.

To be continued...

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
If he wins the mountain jersey and one or two stages it will be a good Tour for him. I'll be glad if he manages to do that, but he should leave FDJ. ASAP.

Pretty sure he just signed for two more years. Hence my previous posts on this thread.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
He did sign for 2 more seasons. FDJ was not the problem for him this Tour. The Climbing Speeds are. He has improved in the TT.YES.....But these chaps are going way quicker up the mountains.

Re: Re:

Sciocco said:
lenric said:
If he wins the mountain jersey and one or two stages it will be a good Tour for him. I'll be glad if he manages to do that, but he should leave FDJ. ASAP.

Pretty sure he just signed for two more years. Hence my previous posts on this thread.

Can't remember if I read it.
FDJ may be the problem if they're unable to shield Pinot from the pressure of the insane french media.

Tonton said:
Post race interview recap: Thibaut admits that he's still not a 100%, states that had he been in good shape he would have won the stage, regrets that he did most of the work, that no one helped. He knew that whomever got a 30 seconds advantage would win considering the lack of cooperation. That he did his best with what means he has at his disposal. Hopes that the form comes.

The KOM sprint against De Gendt was just plain stupid. He should have a look how guys like Costa and Majka (both also not a 100% right now) gamble the whole day. Instead Pinot was riding with Frank his domestiques. :(

Re: Re:

lenric said:
Sciocco said:
lenric said:

Can't remember if I read it.
FDJ may be the problem if they're unable to shield Pinot from the pressure of the insane french media.

http://www.velo101.com/actualite/flash/thibaut-pinot-deux-ans-de-plus-avec-fdj/7227
A l'avant-veille du départ du Tour de France, Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) prolonge de deux ans son contrat avec l'équipe dirigée par Marc Madiot. Le Franc-Comtois, 3ème du Tour 2014, court pour la FDJ depuis ses débuts chez les pros en 2010.

I don't think he will win the polka dot jersey. Maika is repeating his 2014 Tour: after the Giro he was in trouble for almost two weeks and finally flew in the mountains , so i expect him to win a stage and the jersey because i think he's getting better day by day

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Biggest disappointment at Tour so far. Terrible, just terrible. I hope he gets better. Now he had nard time to compete even with average climbers.

I don't really understand what the problem is. He is unable to perform at his highest possible level in his main goal of the season.
Besides, his tactics and race awareness are dreadful. Anybody in a breakaway with him knows that he's so desperate to show he can win that he'll follow any move until he cracks. He must be the strongest to win races.

I'm truly disappointed. I thought this would be the year.

Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't really understand what the problem is. He is unable to perform at his highest possible level in his main goal of the season.
Besides, his tactics and race awareness are dreadful. Anybody in a breakaway with him knows that he's so desperate to show he can win that he'll follow any move until he cracks. He must be the strongest to win races.

I'm truly disappointed. I thought this would be the year.
Great point. Even in mediocre shape, he could have won, but responded to every attack, sprinted for points, lost a ton of energy and it cost him. Fair enough. But if he keeps trying, he'll get one. And in the meantime, I find some sort of solace seeing my fight and fight some more, not break.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Since his exceptional 2012 Tour, he has now failed GC-wise in 13, 15 and 16. In 15 he obviously won at Alpe d' Huez, but it wasn't what he came for. I think its time for the Giro in 2016.

And he should also ride the Vuelta, as he did in 2013.
Agreed.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
A shame. But maybe that would explain why he's been struggling.
Chapeau to him for keeping on fighting.

First it was the heat now breathing problems. How did he make the podium previously ? He seems nowhere near that level these days. He could not have had bronchitis since the start otherwise he would have been struggling even more than he has. This is just the icing on the cake. At least he has the brains to know when to quit unlike others.

Re:

carolina said:
Equipe FDJ ‏@EquipeFDJ
Victime d'une infection virale marquée, @ThibautPinot est convalescent et ne sera pas rétabli à temps pour les Jeux Olympiques. #Rio2016

pinot will miss the olympics due to a viral infection :(

Well at least that explains his poor showing. If you're getting dropped by the peloton on transitional stages, you know that you've got more than ordinary bad form on your hands.

TRENDING THREADS