• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
The Vuelta course is not great for him, but not terrible either. Temperature could be an issue, although the north western corner of Spain isn't as hot as most of the country. Vamos Tibopino!

Whats a terrible route then? Its as bad as it gets for Thibaut apart from skipping Andalucia

I stated when the course was made public that I hated this course. But as it relates to Tibopino, I had to look at the route again to make sure that I didn't miss anything, and I don't see anything anti-Pinot per se. The final climbs are often somewhat short, but not that short, stage 13 is a GDL-style, and he proved that he can do it. A flat-ish ITT in the end is good. Not bad overall. What am I missing?

Tonton said:
Valv.Piti said:
Tonton said:
The Vuelta course is not great for him, but not terrible either. Temperature could be an issue, although the north western corner of Spain isn't as hot as most of the country. Vamos Tibopino!

Whats a terrible route then? Its as bad as it gets for Thibaut apart from skipping Andalucia

I stated when the course was made public that I hated this course. But as it relates to Tibopino, I had to look at the route again to make sure that I didn't miss anything, and I don't see anything anti-Pinot per se. The final climbs are often somewhat short, but not that short, stage 13 is a GDL-style, and he proved that he can do it. A flat-ish ITT in the end is good. Not bad overall. What am I missing?

Many one climb stages with short finishes and only one ITT and a TTT, I really don't think it is good. By far the worst of the routes in 2016 for him IMO

I agree the vuelta doesn't suit him, but I hope he will do it anyway, he needs to finish one 3 weeks race this year, and the vuelta could allow him to reassure himself. But before everything, he needs to be healed, we don't know yet if his illness is important or not. We'll know more in the days to come.

Yes, but two strong TTT teammates left the Tour early, Geniez (strong TTT-domestique) would be back, Ellisonde for the mountains, the one climbs if long enough are not too big a deal IMO...not great of a course, but again, I don't expect Tibopino to beat Contador either. If he shows up with the Romandie form, podium. Most teams won't show up with a great TTT team either. Not great, not that bad. What Tibopino will show up, if he does? He races well in Spain, will be an underdog, the French July fans will be asleep, that's not bad.

Re:

manolo57 said:
I agree the vuelta doesn't suit him, but I hope he will do it anyway, he needs to finish one 3 weeks race this year, and the vuelta could allow him to reassure himself. But before everything, he needs to be healed, we don't know yet if his illness is important or not. We'll know more in the days to come.

Well, the last time he withdrew from the Tour (2013) he returned for a good run at the Vuelta, which helped him get his confidence back. But a lot depends on his he recovers from this current ailment.

Madiot is not saying anything, because he doesn't want the media to link no-OG and Vuelta. It would seem like Tibopino is having an agenda vs. the pride to represent the country coming first. FDJ against France. More bashers would come out, bad PR. I'm poor at predicting, obviously :eek: , but that one (the Vuelta), is pretty safe...I think. And he would have the team for it...add Reza.

He surely should ride the Vuelta this year. He'd probably only have an outside chance of finishing on the podium, but he needs it to build a base for next year - whether he plans to ride the Giro or the Tour.

He's ridden one and a half GTs in the last two years - and was basically only stage hunting throughout them. It's no wonder he's getting ill and can't last three weeks for the GC; his body is completely unprepared for three weeks of hard racing. It's definitely no coincidence that by far his best Tour result came the year after he rode and placed well in a hard Vuelta.

Olympics is a sideshow - he's not going to win it and, ultimately, it's not going to help him with his goals for next year. Sure, he can go and give it a shot, but he certainly shouldn't be aiming to peak for it.

Re:

DFA123 said:
He surely should ride the Vuelta this year. He'd probably only have an outside chance of finishing on the podium, but he needs it to build a base for next year - whether he plans to ride the Giro or the Tour.

He's ridden one and a half GTs in the last two years - and was basically only stage hunting throughout them. It's no wonder he's getting ill and can't last three weeks for the GC; his body is completely unprepared for three weeks of hard racing. It's definitely no coincidence that by far his best Tour result came the year after he rode and placed well in a hard Vuelta.

Olympics is a sideshow - he's not going to win it and, ultimately, it's not going to help him with his goals for next year. Sure, he can go and give it a shot, but he certainly shouldn't be aiming to peak for it.
Agree. He needs to improve and that will only come with practice

I just read Julien Pinot (brother/coach) interviewed on Eurosport: Thibaut suffered from a bacterial infection, some sort of acute tonsillitis, which I would translate as strep-throat. He's resting, may race the Tour de l'Ain, but the goal is stage hunting and "having fun in the mountains" at the Vuelta.

Tonton said:
I just read Julien Pinot (brother/coach) interviewed on Eurosport: Thibaut suffered from a bacterial infection, some sort of acute tonsillitis, which I would translate as strep-throat. He's resting, may race the Tour de l'Ain, but the goal is stage hunting and "having fun in the mountains" at the Vuelta.

Wasn't it a viral infection ? Anyway, it's good to hear Thibaut is going to the Vuelta !

manolo57 said:
Tonton said:

Wasn't it a viral infection ? Anyway, it's good to hear Thibaut is going to the Vuelta !
My bad...it's an old 2013 article as it turns out, mixed with all the recent info...and the recent stuff suspects a mononucleosis...so we still don't know for sure...please accept my apologies. I still hope he rides the Vuelta, but if it's a mono, yikes...

Tonton said:
manolo57 said:
Tonton said:

My bad...it's an old 2013 article as it turns out, mixed with all the recent info...and the recent stuff suspects a mononucleosis...so we still don't know for sure...please accept my apologies. I still hope he rides the Vuelta, but if it's a mono, yikes...

Ok haha no problem. Yes if it's a mono there is no chance for him to ride the vuelta :(

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Tonton said:
What would be a good Giro prep for Pinot?
Bessèges > PN/TA > Catalunya/CI > VaPV > Trentino > Giro?
Then go stage hunting in the Tour or maybe KOM. I'd prefer he go to Vuelta after a long rest but I can't imagine they'd keep him from a Tour.

Tonton said:
He could definitely make the podium.

TRENDING THREADS