• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The descending issue is another great example of him bouncing back actually. He's no Nibali in that regard (though he held him off in Lombardia), but his descending is no longer a significant weakness of his.

And that's one of his strengths; he seems to have a willingness to work with his issues. He had an issue - which he admitted was a sort of phobia - and found a way to get past that. No, he'll never be Nibali in descending, but does he have to be?

I still think he should race lbl, if he comes out of the Tour with great legs.
I had missed this possibility...I'd like to see it.

Great posts here about dispelling old labels: at the '17 GDL, dropped by Nibalii but still the 2nd fastest down the Civiglio, then same race in '18 faster than the master. I can go on and on. Reputations die hard.

Bad luck...yes, but the wind can turn.

Today, looking at the tape, Thibaut was watching Bernal, missed the winning move, when Martin took off he was quick to surge, Quintana could not match, and he looked strong through the line. Nice showing, the form is coming.

Can I survive another heartbreak? I don't know but it's a lot more interesting of a proposition than wondering how Lance is going to dispose of Ullrich. All I know is that Pinot is going to give everything he has and more. And I hope it's enough: Roglic looks very strong, Bernal is dangerous, Nairo should like the design...I have watched too many Walking Dead episodes to discount Froome...just sayin' :) .

As I kinda expected, he couldn’t keep the lead. After some horrible kilometers on the penultimate climb, he minimized his losses up to the finish line. He wasn’t strong enough today. He might be better in a couple of weeks time, but I am honestly starting to feel that this man is destined to be some kind of Poulidor - an eternal second, beloved by people in part because of that very same fact

Well we'll have to wait and see with regards to Roglic and Bernal, but the fact is Pinot still finished second ahead of all the major contenders left in this race. Even without all the crashes he probably would have finished second (let's not forget he crashed too). He's on great form and, while he's obviously disappointed, it's not as if he's going to show up to the Tour sulking. After today he must feel he has something to prove.

Well we'll have to wait and see with regards to Roglic and Bernal, but the fact is Pinot still finished second ahead of all the major contenders left in this race. Even without all the crashes he probably would have finished second (let's not forget he crashed too). He's on great form and, while he's obviously disappointed, it's not as if he's going to show up to the Tour sulking. After today he must feel he has something to prove.
Yes, maybe it's better to enter the TDF feeling a bit angry rather than fulfilled & hoping.

I'm sure Thibaut (well, me :p) would be happier with a Grand Tour win.

What those guys have, and what he has not.
Can't get too high, can't get too low :)...I don't see anything mental in Tibopino's performance today, as some posts suggest. It was a tough race with five tough stages. Those not in top condition were exposed at one point or another. Thibaut had a rough patch today but he didn't curl into a ball.

Not so sure about that. The win was there to be taken. The others had good reasons for not getting a result. The winner isn't exactly one of the favourites for the Tour. Pinot was looking a bit frustrated out on the road.

At least he used the frustration to try and fight back.

Also, and maybe I'm just being desparate here, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't have the guy who's proven to be his most important helper in recent years, namely Gaudu.

At least he used the frustration to try and fight back.

Also, and maybe I'm just being desparate here, but the fact of the matter is that he didn't have the guy who's proven to be his most important helper in recent years, namely Gaudu.
I agree. This GFC line-up was too weak to help in the second-to-last climb when Thibaut needed it most. Reichenbach was gone, the gap opened to 1'30" and it wouldn't have been reduced had Alaf' and other Frenchies not helped. Once Pinot got back in the rhythm, he looked a lot better.

BTW. Stolen from the Dauphiné thread, here's a reminder of how absolutely adorable this guy is:

DpKYG2eW4AAr0Uz.jpg

TRENDING THREADS