• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorry for the depressive post, but I think this was his last-ever GT stage win:

tour-de-france-2019-stage-14-999371f72e.jpg

Seems like such a long time ago, now.

I don't think so. He'll also have chances next year. It's not like he hasn't been in good form at some points during this season.

I hope you're right. The Giro next year would be great, maybe even trying for GC. The tactic of "Don't deliberately lose time, but don't sweat it if he does."

BTW, I'm starting to think that if things had turned out differently three years ago, and he had won the Tour, then he would probably have done much like what Vingegaard is doing; disappeared from public. He would probably have disappeared even earlier, as there wouldn't have been a big "Return to his homecountry" celebration.

I don't think so. He'll also have chances next year. It's not like he hasn't been in good form at some points during this season.

He can absolutely win another GT stage. Can he ever be a GC contender again? It doesn't look like it, honestly. As much as I like Tibo, I think his peak is in the rear-view mirror...the back injury took away 2.5 of what should have been his prime years.

The final week of La Vuelta is by far the most consistent he has been since the injury issues.

And that's sort of a new thing, isn't it? Him just being sort of... consistenly average in GTs. I mean, to make a quick run-through of his GT career so far (Italics indicates finished GTs):

2012 Tour: Stage win + top 10.
2013 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2013 Vuelta: Top 10.
2014 Tour: Podium + white jersey.

2014 Vuelta: Never really in GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2015 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, but won a stage.
2016 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2017 Giro: Stage win + top 10
2017 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2018 Giro: Got sick while looking set for a podium, and had to abandon.
2018 Vuelta: Stage wins + top 10
2019 Tour: Stage win, looked like he could challenge for the podium - perhaps even the win - but then he got injured, and had to abandon.
2020 Tour: Got injured early on, and slipped out of GC contention, destroyed his back by continuing to Paris.
2020 Vuelta: Barely even started before he abandoned
2022 Tour: Never went for GC, tried to win stages, but didn't.
2022 Vuelta: Never went for GC, tried to win stages, but didn't.

And that's sort of a new thing, isn't it? Him just being sort of... consistenly average in GTs. I mean, to make a quick run-through of his GT career so far (Italics indicates finished GTs):

2012 Tour: Stage win + top 10.
2013 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2013 Vuelta: Top 10.
2014 Tour: Podium + white jersey.

2014 Vuelta: Never really in GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2015 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, but won a stage.
2016 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2017 Giro: Stage win + top 10
2017 Tour: Slipped out of GC contention, ultimately abandoned.
2018 Giro: Got sick while looking set for a podium, and had to abandon.
2018 Vuelta: Stage wins + top 10
2019 Tour: Stage win, looked like he could challenge for the podium - perhaps even the win - but then he got injured, and had to abandon.
2020 Tour: Got injured early on, and slipped out of GC contention, destroyed his back by continuing to Paris.
2020 Vuelta: Barely even started before he abandoned
2022 Tour: Never went for GC, tried to win stages, but didn't.
2022 Vuelta: Never went for GC, tried to win stages, but didn't.

His legs in the last week were quite good, stronger than he had been in the vast majority of race days this year.

End of year thoughts, and hopes for 2023.

Meh! Two wins, no GT stage win, but two GT finishes (!), it's a mixed bag but as some put it, when we look ahead we can't dream big, we can just be hopeful.

Can Thibaut Pinot write another page of his saga, give us more epic moments? AGR, FW, LBL, finally? I hope that he gets his Giro moment, pink even for just one day, a win and who knows...a podium? KOM?

We'll get something. And tears for the most emotional ones. Tears of sorrow, tears of joy? We don't know. That's the magic of Tibopino.

Meh! Two wins, no GT stage win, but two GT finishes (!), it's a mixed bag but as some put it, when we look ahead we can't dream big, we can just be hopeful.

Can Thibaut Pinot write another page of his saga, give us more epic moments? AGR, FW, LBL, finally? I hope that he gets his Giro moment, pink even for just one day, a win and who knows...a podium? KOM?

We'll get something. And tears for the most emotional ones. Tears of sorrow, tears of joy? We don't know. That's the magic of Tibopino.
Hopefully Pinot doesn’t go out like II Piccoli Principe.

Thibaut needs to provide us with more goat pictures. It'll make him and us feel better about his future.

And here's the quote ran through Google Translate:

It's a decision I've carefully considered over the years.
I'm excited about the new things I'll be able to discover after my career, but I'm just as excited to race during this last year.
I have rarely been so motivated before a season and I want to finish in style.
I do everything and I will continue to do everything to achieve the best possible results.

If anyone who actually speaks French has a better translatation, please provide it.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This has been coming for a while. The disappointment of the 2019 Tour combined with the pain of the 2020 one has broken him, sadly. He will be sorely missed in the peloton.

Yeah... the quote does say that he's been thinking about it over the years. So while he didn't - as some people thought he might - break contract and retire early. However, once his contract is over, guess there's not much point of him to continue.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS