• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It wouldn't be possible for either Rubio or Pinot to win that stage, but still not win KOM? If either Healy or D. Bais gets enough points elsewhere?
I haven't calculated it yet. Maybe if they steal points from each other on Valparola & Giau? Hence why I suggested they should make deals.

But Bais or Healy likely only get 40 points on Crosetta. 80 points if the favorites haven't reeled in the breakaway at Forcella Cibiana.

Valparola & Giau is 80 points as well, plus 18 points for Campolongo. So 98 points. 3 Merlons plus Tre Croci would make additional 78 points (60 + 18) if they make it to the finish line.

If I'm not mistaking.

It went just about how I predicted in the stage thread, That Cat1 was close enough to the start, and GFC pushed to give Thibaut a chance to go get the points. It was his best shot at a stage. Tomorrow's finish will be hell and he can't realistically beat the trio.

So today, no sherry on Pinot's cake, but not a bad day at all. Post-race he said that he had fun today. Post-race Tibopino added that being on the final podium of Il Giro would be great even though it's not the GC final podium. Thibaut also declared that he'll defend the jersey, hoping to climb a few spots in the GC if stars align.

I have been reading Joly pretty well, so I'd guess GFC will use today's stage as some loose blueprint and push to Campolongo. Control Healy and the other two, and by the time Giau comes along, time to score big and whatever happens on Tre Cime happens.

Reactions: Cookster15
His most impressive performance post back injury. His worst day this season has been losing 3 mins on Bondone. It seems his consistency is beginning to come back as races more and more after the big break in 2021. Retirement decision a mistake.

Maybe they'll send the whole French armee to the Nationals, in order to get him to win so he'll be obliged to honour that bet and continue for another half-a-year (until Nationals next year).

Maybe they'll send the whole French armee to the Nationals, in order to get him to win so he'll be obliged to honour that bet and continue for another half-a-year (until Nationals next year.
The French Nationals is 70% FDJ at the start so there's hope :).

Here's the link to Thibaut's post-race interview:

View: https://youtu.be/j7Qf1osxxkE

Thibaut ends with asking him what he needs to do now: response: now let's recover and have the Chrono of my life tomorrow, maybe. With a laugh. I would laugh too, it was a superb ride today. Could Tibopino be peaking at the end of a GT? On top form, he can hold a very strong pace on very steep climbs, and that's what's on the menu. And everybody is tired. I would not be surprised if Thibaut goes to 4th in the GC. He could lose one spot too, but I like his odds and he's strong, he''ll put on a show, give it all.

Last edited:
So, he didn't get a stage win. Not from lack of trying, but his tactical errors unfortunately cost him.
The KOM might not have been a goal - at first - but it was a nice prize to get, and his first top-5 in the GC of a GT since the Giro 2017 (first top-10 since the Vuelta 2018).

It's a shame he's retiring, but as I already mentioned; it's much better to retire like this, when he's back at a relatively good level, rather than having given up when he was struggling with his back injury. Of course I hope he wins the Nationals, and continues for another six months, but even if he doesnt; well... I guess he's not a rider who won't know what to do with his post-career life.

EgWxGNlU0AIxm-l

(And it's been far too long since we've had any goat pictures in this thread!)

So, he didn't get a stage win. Not from lack of trying, but his tactical errors unfortunately cost him.
The KOM might not have been a goal - at first - but it was a nice prize to get, and his first top-5 in the GC of a GT since the Giro 2017 (first top-10 since the Vuelta 2018).

It's a shame he's retiring, but as I already mentioned; it's much better to retire like this, when he's back at a relatively good level, rather than having given up when he was struggling with his back injury. Of course I hope he wins the Nationals, and continues for another six months, but even if he doesnt; well... I guess he's not a rider who won't know what to do with his post-career life.

EgWxGNlU0AIxm-l

(And it's been far too long since we've had any goat pictures in this thread!)
Hot goat summer!

I really hope he drops out of the top-10. But 2'20'' on Rubio should be enough.
I still wonder where that post was coming from. Did Vaughters hack into Netserk's account? Regardless, the proof is in the pudding: the top-5 today are the top-5 in the GC, in the same order. Pinot proved, if needed, that he deserves his GC placing and his jersey. There's still one stage and I hold my breath...

No interview video yet, but quotes on the GFC website, I'll translate:

"Maybe it wasn't the best time trial in my career, but it was one of the best. I knew that it could suit me, that my form was improving and that I was finishing this third week strongly. This was my last time trial in the Giro, it pushed me, I wanted to give everything. It was violent, but it was a time trial that only the Giro can give you, and me, I like it. This is not a podium, but I wanted to go get that top-5, it means a lot to me. Physically, it probably is my strongest finish in a GT. It shows that I still have something in my legs. I always believed, even when I had days off. I knew that in the Giro, you can't let go and the decision is made in the last 2-3 days. I always believed in my abilities, I knew that I had good legs. It wasn't easy to juggle KOM and GC, so I'm proud to have completed both missions. I'm going to enjoy it for the next 24 hours, but tonight I'm at peace. I knew that I could get back to that level, a top-5 in a GT. For this, I'm proud of myself. I'm proud that I never gave in".

TRENDING THREADS