• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Thibaut Pinot discussion thread

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sure, if everything goes absolutely perfect, he's on the podium. Congrats

If everything goes to *** he crashes on stage 1, and then you really need ridesr who can do something on their own. If he has an average race, he's probably 6th without playing a big role in the race. Then you still want chances of stage wins and maybe polkadots!
Sure, bringing Pinot as a possible backup would be the best option for the team, but not Gaudu. If it turns out DG won't be able to fight for the podium or a top 5, then going for stages and KOM wouldn't be a bad idea for him either though.

Reactions: Tonton
It's a video from Lapierre Cycles but not a commercial, in French, and what a cool idea to start an interview with the goats and finish it on bikes atop LPDBF!

View: https://youtu.be/8HORhN8wktA

This was just before Il Giro. Thibaut states, twice, that he wants to leave with style: "en beauté". So far, so good.

I understand Gaudu's sense of urgency, though: at next year's Tour he could be facing the same Pog and Vingo, but also Remco, Almeida, Ayuso, and more. He's 26 years-old, it wasn't the plan; he and Bernal were to be the GT stars. And if Egan has a big bag, David's is kind of empty. He's desperate and needs every bit of the next five years to make his mark. Right now, Gaudu's record isn't Pinot's at age 26. Not even close.

As I hit "send", Thibaut Pinot is at home, asleep, tomorrow he'll be caring for animals and riding on these roads. It's a good video. It's where I was born. I know these clouds. Watch it or mark it. Maybe CC will be "translating" soon. It's a good watch.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It's a video from Lapierre Cycles but not a commercial, in French, and what a cool idea to start an interview with the goats and finish it on bikes atop LPDBF!

View: https://youtu.be/8HORhN8wktA

This was just before Il Giro. Thibaut states, twice, that he wants to leave with style: "en beauté". So far, so good.

I understand Gaudu's sense of urgency, though: at next year's Tour he could be facing the same Pog and Vingo, but also Remco, Almeida, Ayuso, and more. He's 26 years-old, it wasn't the plan; he and Bernal were to be the GT stars. And if Egan has a big bag, David's is kind of empty. He's desperate and needs every bit of the next five years to make his mark. Right now, Gaudu's record isn't Pinot's at age 26. Not even close.

As I hit "send", Thibaut Pinot is at home, asleep, tomorrow he'll be caring for animals and riding on these roads. It's a good video. It's where I was born. I know these clouds. Watch it or mark it. Maybe CC will be "translating" soon. It's a good watch.
If Gaudu was serious about GT's he shouldn't have joined Frustration Des Jambes.

Thibaut is us, our greatness, our setbacks, The last chapter is now .

Pinot is more than a cyclist: he's a life lesson. How we deal with adversity and how we bounce back. That's his gift to cycling and to all of us.

I have always understood the love of the French fans, and abroad, for Pinot and his style and career. tbf some fans have elevated him to a Jesus-like character. this is a bit too much. this "gift" than came from the cycling gods to all the fans and to cycling. that's sport, not religion.

I have always understood the love of the French fans, and abroad, for Pinot and his style and career. tbf some fans have elevated him to a Jesus-like character. this is a bit too much. this "gift" than came from the cycling gods to all the fans and to cycling. that's sport, not religion.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. It's not about religion, the "Gods of Cycling" that we invoke often may not exist. Philosophy. When someone can go so low and rise back as many times as Thibaut has done it, it inspires not only "French fans" but anyone. That's why he's a gift, a gift to us facing adversity.

Sorry if I offended you in any way. It's not about religion, the "Gods of Cycling" that we invoke often may not exist. Philosophy. When someone can go so low and rise back as many times as Thibaut has done it, it inspires not only "French fans" but anyone. That's why he's a gift, a gift to us facing adversity.

Yeah, but not just because of that.
He's a rider who gets quite a bit of attention for his off-bike quirks, because they're a reminder that pro cyclists - any top-level athletes, really - are just humans. Sometimes, that of course means facing adversity, but sometimes it just means... frankly being a bit weird.
I've mentioned this before, but you gotta be a bit strange to decide that making an Instagram account for your goats would be a reasonable thing to do.

you didn't. I was half joking. as I said, I understand the love of the fans

Reactions: Tonton
He is right. He can't recover like other GC riders, his climbing ability never was good enough. People just fall in love with him because he has loads of lovely goats

I'm pretty sure that what caught people's attention is the fact that when he's at his best, he's pretty damn good. There was a time when winning a stage, and finishing in the top-10 in your debut TdF (when you're the youngest rider) was damn well impressive.
I understand the "wanting to have won more" part of the quote; guess that's part of being a great athlete, but the first part? Feeling like he doesn't deserve the popularity?

Feeling like he's more popular than talented? He's popular because he's talented.
You wouldn't have been a fan of him, if he had just been a "regular" guy smashing everyone to pieces throughout his career. So his talent is definitely not the only thing that has contributed to his stardom. It's the same with Roglič, but he has of course had better results and shouldn't be too displeased with his career if he ended it after this season.

You wouldn't have been a fan of him, if he had just been a "regular" guy smashing everyone to pieces throughout his career. So his talent is definitely not the only thing that has contributed to his stardom. It's the same with Roglič, but he has of course had better results.

He also wouldn't have caught people's attention if he was just some random dude with a bunch of goats.

Spoiler alert, we have a repetition, Marc Madiot practicing for tomorrow' performance under Thibaut's window.

View: https://youtu.be/Mwj6-4zGhJI

Wonderful song and interpretation. Can Marc do the same?

Jokes put aside, the discussion and the decision has already been made; after this Giro both FdJ and Groupama know what's good for their brand: Tibopino in July.

So I just contracted myself, yet I like this post.

TRENDING THREADS