• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

THIS JUST IN: Cancellara leaving Saxo Bank confirmed!!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Sour grapes and no class

Riis' comments about having gotten the best out of Cancellara.... That's how slave owners used to talk. Then Bradley Mc's need to air his frustration toward Cancellara publicly shows that he has absolutely no class. How easy to overlook the fact that without all the classy riders now leaving Saxo, Mr. Mc would probably have had:eek: no job and be herding Sheep or Roos down under.
Kazistuta said:
Bjarne Riis just announced it live on Danish TV. Where Spartacus will go will be up to him to announce.....

:(

EDIT:

Riis was sad to see Cancellara go, but said they've had some great years together and managed to arrange a deal meaning the Swiss could leave. Riis refused to comment on the "buy-out clause" and a potential amount,but just confirmed that he wouldn't be a part of the Danish team next year.

Saxo Bank will be starting over, focusing on the youngsters (oh yeah...and maybe a bit on that new rather unknown Spaniard) and almost confirmed the transfer of Nick Nuyens. We all know Bjarnes smile when he can't confirm, but is happy to say "there's a great possibility".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Things are getting lost or appearing in translation. It's about tone of voice and expressions too. The way I understood it, the reporter asked Riis if Fabian was going to Luxembourg, and he answered that he doesn't know because nobody knows.

Yeah you're right about the expression and tone of voice ... but then again I feel like Riis always has the same expression and tone, I've never seen him mad or anything. Oh wait, except for when he threw his bike in the ditch :D

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
Yeah you're right about the expression and tone of voice ... but then again I feel like Riis always has the same expression and tone, I've never seen him mad or anything. Oh wait, except for when he threw his bike in the ditch :D

Well, he is from Jylland - Those people show their emotions in very very subtle ways :p

Actually in the last couple of interviews I have seen with him, he has been surprisingly friendly and relaxed, even if it is has been on difficult subjects. Today he had a long talk about his new team, where it seemed he almost forgot about the camera. Normally he often comes across as tense and irritable and get annoyed about even innocent questions like "Are you happy that your rider won?"

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Aguirre said:
alex rasmussen also leaves saxo...

the question is... who is hiring saxo-sungard for next year????

there must be movements... o saxo would be poorer than astana this year:)

who!!!!!!!!!!!

How can saxo be poorer then astana when:
a) astana was anything bit poor
b) he is taking half his team with him

He's "just" bringing three guys as things are right now. And actually Saxo Bank are the ones missing half the team next year..

Tanner, Vandborg and Vinther doesn't exactly fill the void left by guys like Voigt, O'grady, Rasmussen, Breschel and Cancellara etc.

(I left out Fuglsang since Navarro will be equally strong)

Aguirre said:
alex rasmussen also leaves saxo...

the question is... who is hiring saxo-sungard for next year????

there must be movements... o saxo would be poorer than astana this year:)

who!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from the budget considerations, i wonder if a combination of Contador (competitive in just about every race he enters) and Cancellara (proven record in the classics and ambitions to diversify his palmares) meant that any rider joining the team would have limited chances to make their own results during the year.

OTOH Liquigas somehow seemed to manage this ok (outwardly at least).

Wonder if there are riders like Szmyd who has a free role only in Poland and the Dauphine and happily rides in support for the rest of the year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
The way Fabian left the team seems very unprofessional.
As was the way Riis treated Andy and Stuart. In fact, an argument could be made that Riis intentionally tried to humiliate both departing riders. Fabian, on the other hand, hung out long enough to ensure Frank's top five finish.

I've always thought Riis was a cool team director...
Obviously cool! Doped winner of the Tdf, and still gets off scot free...

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
As was the way Riis treated Andy and Stuart. In fact, an argument could be made that Riis intentionally tried to humiliate both departing riders. Fabian, on the other hand, hung out long enough to ensure Frank's top five finish.

You don't think Andy and Stuart humiliated Bjarne by hanging out in bars during a grand tour? That's like spitting in his face fGs! And Fränks not to mention. Bjarne had to do something, because the other riders on the team knew about it, and if he didn't they would lose all respect for him. He took it very graciously and repeatedly refused to commend on the details, kept saying that it was between him and Andy and Stuart.

ansimi said:
The closer the relationship,the more bitter the breakup.

I'm guessing BMC. I don't think he would have abandoned Schleck at the Vuelta if they were planning on riding together next year and the Schlecks are an obstacle to him for LBL and collecting all the monuments.

I think you're right. I guess we'll find out soon.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
HL2037 said:
You don't think Andy and Stuart humiliated Bjarne by hanging out in bars during a grand tour? That's like spitting in his face fGs! And Fränks not to mention. Bjarne had to do something, because the other riders on the team knew about it, and if he didn't they would lose all respect for him. He took it very graciously and repeatedly refused to commend on the details, kept saying that it was between him and Andy and Stuart.

I disagree - He did humilliate O'Grady and Schleck by doing this. If he had let them start the stage and punished them otherwise. Then they could have humiliated themselves but now Bjarne did it for them. I am pretty sure Schleck and O'Grady would never in a million years have thought that Bjarne would do what he did. And again the biggest looser here is Frank.
The fact that he threw them out also does that it doesn't really matter what Andy and Stuart says about how bad it was. Everyone will jump to the conclusion that they were wasted and came home late even though the rule was broken already when they walked out the door at 10 pm in the intension of getting a beer. Breaking that rule is what they were punished for. Don't get me wrong rules are rules and they should get punished. But Bjarne could have done that otherwise.

And he handled it very badly, I think. Normally in SaxoBank there is a policy that noone go out and comment on something thay can't put their names to and suddenly there ere unnamed sources throwing dirt at Schleck and O'Grady (and Cancallera too in a different matter). And that is now Bjarnes responsebility to find out who has said these things and tell them not to. Last but not least Bjarne called O'Grady a liar on TV.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
benpounder said:

Obviously cool! Doped winner of the Tdf, and still gets off scot free...

FFS! are you for real? Fair enough if you don't like Riis, but can you give me one good reason for why it's perfectly acceptable that riders are going out for beers under one of the biggest GT's of the season?

What would you have done had you been a DS and riders on your team had behaved in the same manner, ****ing all over sponsors, fans and teammates? Is it a professional bike race or a fecking circus?

Seriously the bias some people have towards certain riders on this forum is nauseous... are people simply not able to look past personal bias and see objective and fair on topics being discussed, it's unbelievable...

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
HL2037 said:

I disagree - He did humilliate O'Grady and Schleck by doing this. If he had let them start the stage and punished them otherwise. Then they could have humiliated themselves but now Bjarne did it for them. I am pretty sure Schleck and O'Grady would never in a million years have thought that Bjarne would do what he did. And again the biggest looser here is Frank.
The fact that he threw them out also does that it doesn't really matter what Andy and Stuart says about how bad it was. Everyone will jump to the conclusion that they were wasted and came home late even though the rule was broken already when they walked out the door at 10 pm in the intension of getting a beer. Breaking that rule is what they were punished for. Don't get me wrong rules are rules and they should get punished. But Bjarne could have done that otherwise.

And he handled it very badly, I think. Normally in SaxoBank there is a policy that noone go out and comment on something thay can't put their names to and suddenly there ere unnamed sources throwing dirt at Schleck and O'Grady (and Cancallera too in a different matter). And that is now Bjarnes responsebility to find out who has said these things and tell them not to. Last but not least Bjarne called O'Grady a liar on TV.

A

Anonymous

reported by several journo's / bloggers this morning that he is indeed going to schlux

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
I disagree - He did humilliate O'Grady and Schleck by doing this. If he had let them start the stage and punished them otherwise. Then they could have humiliated themselves but now Bjarne did it for them. Last but not least Bjarne called O'Grady a liar on TV.

There's a thread on this. If you check, there are links to information you apparently haven't seen. I linked to one from Tuttobiciweb that named Riis Cycling CEO Trey Greenwood as the guy who was waiting for them when they stumbled in at 5 in the morning.

O'Grady said it was 1:00 and only two beers, but claimed he had just ridden his **** off in a Team Time Trial, even though that was ten days before, and he'd actually gone out drinking on a rest day. The response from Riis was that O'Grady can lie to himself, but not to Riis. The

Spanish media had reported prior to all this that Schleck and O'Grady had been seen out partying in Seville, Murcia and Malaga earlier in the race, and their performances were pretty useless. Schleck broke the rules and lied to the press. O'Grady broke the rules and lied to the press. Riis said as little as he possibly could.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
There's a thread on this. If you check, there are links to information you apparently haven't seen. I linked to one from Tuttobiciweb that named Riis Cycling CEO Trey Greenwood as the guy who was waiting for them when they stumbled in at 5 in the morning.

O'Grady said it was 1:00 and only two beers, but claimed he had just ridden his **** off in a Team Time Trial, even though that was ten days before, and he'd actually gone out drinking on a rest day. The response from Riis was that O'Grady can lie to himself, but not to Riis. The

Spanish media had reported prior to all this that Schleck and O'Grady had been seen out partying in Seville, Murcia and Malaga earlier in the race, and their performances were pretty useless. Schleck broke the rules and lied to the press. O'Grady broke the rules and lied to the press. Riis said as little as he possibly could.

My point was still that I didn't like Bjarnes reaction and even with new information I don't think he did well. O'Grady and Schleck didn't do well either. The big WINNER in this aftermath: Frank Schleck.

Back on topic:

Cancellara said to go with the Schlecks:
http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/avis-cancellara-foelger-schleck-broedrene

(not Canc. related) Brian Nygaard about the new Schleck team:
http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/cykelkrig-eks-ansat-svarer-riis-igen

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Sørensen said:
FFS! are you for real? Fair enough if you don't like Riis, but can you give me one good reason for why it's perfectly acceptable that riders are going out for beers under one of the biggest GT's of the season?

What would you have done had you been a DS and riders on your team had behaved in the same manner, ****ing all over sponsors, fans and teammates? Is it a professional bike race or a fecking circus?

Seriously the bias some people have towards certain riders on this forum is nauseous... are people simply not able to look past personal bias and see objective and fair on topics being discussed, it's unbelievable...

Agreed. Their behaviour was wrong.
I don't really like the way the Shlecks have done things.
Going out on the razz in the middle of a G.T.... what do you want?

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Ruxen1989 said:
(not Canc. related) Brian Nygaard about the new Schleck team:
http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/cykelkrig-eks-ansat-svarer-riis-igen

To our none danish friends the important parts are that Nygaard says they will come with concrete details about the team this week(!). Also he says they are not hunting riders with excessive contracts etc. but are getting good riders because they are an interesting team with some serious goals.
He had no comments about Spartacus joining team schleck.

He also underlines that the econemy of the team has been secure from the moment he officially engaged in the team. He also says they have done everything by the book, also with regard to UCI and they still think they will get a Pro Tour Licence next year.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
The Schlecks?

dolophonic said:
Agreed. Their behaviour was wrong.
I don't really like the way the Shlecks have done things.
Going out on the razz in the middle of a G.T.... what do you want?

as far as I know Frank finished the Vuelta. And he finished with honor, he did well with the sircumstances: Andy, Stuart and Fabian out and a broken collarbone less than two month ago. Well done Frank:)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
If you check, there are links to information you apparently haven't seen. I linked to one from Tuttobiciweb that named Riis Cycling CEO Trey Greenwood as the guy who was waiting for them when they stumbled in at 5 in the morning.

Check out this article from velonation.com:

“It doesn’t matter if it was one drink or ten,” Riis told the media after today’s stage, “or if he was out until five in the morning and that’s between us anyway, rules are made to be kept. I’m not here to give any explanations or further details. What actually happened will stay between us.”

Two pretty long sentences there, but the only part anyone seemed to hear was “five in the morning”; nobody seemed to notice the bit where he said: “or if he was out until.”

So, according to those four words, and ignoring the rest of the statement, Andy Schleck was out until 5am the night before a Vuelta stage! I’m not surprised Riis sent him home!

And wasn’t there something there about him having ten drinks? Jeez, he had ten drinks and then stayed out ‘til five! Fire him, no shoot him, on the spot Bjarne.

Hmm, what Riis actually said there was “mind your own business”, but nobody heard him.

(I also posted it in the appropriate thread but it seems like you haven't checked it in a while)

Bad choice of words by Bjarne. That's the way rumors get started!

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5580/Bjarne-Riis-and-the-Schleck-boys-The-end-of-the-affair.aspx

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Check out this article from velonation.com:

(I also posted it in the appropriate thread but it seems like you haven't checked it in a while)

Bad choice of words by Bjarne. That's the way rumors get started!

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5580/Bjarne-Riis-and-the-Schleck-boys-The-end-of-the-affair.aspx

You don't understand. I'm unemployed, don't have a TV, and can't afford to go anywhere. I have lots of free time. I looked at every story on this that hit Google News in any language for a day and a half. I saw the quote you're don't like repeated in ten different languages. I found two good sources who told the story without Bjarne Riis. One was only in the print version of La Gazzetta dello Sport, but Tuttobiciweb copied their story. If you think that one sentence by Riis could have been misquoted into Trey Greenwood waiting for them at the hotel, then... Here's one of my many posts on that other thread. I don't get notifications when people reply to me, and after a day and a half, I had no reason to go back there.

We might be able to get closer to whether the Riis 5:00 quote is right (news sites all over Europe are using that version. La Gazzetta dello Sport has audio of the interview, hopefully the right part, but it's not English and that's all I've got. Help?

http://video.gazzetta.it/ciclismo-riis-ecco-perche-ho-caccia
to-schleck/e86cd90a-baa8-11df-b683-00144f02aabe

Schleck had said that when they arrived at 1:00, Riis was in a bar and saw them? Tuttobiciweb has part of the La Gazzetta story saying it wasn't Riis who busted them:

The two were surprised to return to the hotel at 5 am drunk. Husa Imperial Tarraco in the lobby was waiting for them Trey Greenwood, technical director of the team. Greenwood probably was not there by chance

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=32501&tp=n

So perhaps it was Trey Greenwood who was one of the sources for Ekstra Bladet?

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1405913.ece

Apologies for veering off topic.