• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

THIS JUST IN: Cancellara leaving Saxo Bank confirmed!!

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Sørensen said:
... are people simply not able to look past personal bias and see objective and fair on topics being discussed[?]
Simply put, Yes.

However, you will note that I did not make the arguement that Riis was trying to humiliate Schlecklet or O'Grady, only that one could plausibly make that case. No, my response was more towards the argument that it was Cancellera being disrespectful towards Saxo and Riis by not finishing the third to last stage.

There has been a fair amount of unprofessional behavior going on throughout SaxoBank this year from most all the big names. McGee and Riis may have been ticked off at the way Canc stepped off his bike early in stage 19, but you have to admit that the ongoing within Saxo, perhaps even Bjarne's comments about selling Fabian to the highest bidder, could have left a sour taste in Fabian's mouth.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
McGee and Riis may have been ticked off at the way Canc stepped off his bike early in stage 19, but you have to admit that the ongoing within Saxo, perhaps even Bjarne's comments about selling Fabian to the highest bidder, could have left a sour taste in Fabian's mouth.

Now where did you see that comment?

If you are referring to this:
“Fabian is special and it’s impossible to replace him but he’s moved on and that’s how it is. I got the best out of him. But now it’s over. We had some great years together but we’ve agreed to go to separate and go our own way,”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-on-cancellara-i-got-the-best-out-of-him
Then I think you've misunderstood it. Obviously when Bjarne says "I got the best out of him", he means that he has helped FC be the best rider he could be. Not that he has got the best price for him.

Remember that it was FC's own idea to leave Saxo. He knows that he will have to be bought out of his contract, why would that leave a sour taste?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Now where did you see that comment?
Here.

The French newspaper L'Equipe reported today that Riis has not come out and stated that he would hold Cancellara to the remaining year of his contract with Saxo Bank, but said that any team wishing to buy him out would have to fork over the sum[€3 million], equivalent to the budget of some smaller Pro teams...

And no, I dont think there is just one incident, rather the sum total of alot of little ones.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
L'equipe... Don't trust them.
Beside the point. That article appeared during the Vuelta and reporters asked Cancellera about it the next day. Also appearing was the revelation that Riis had been negotiating with Contador during the Tour.

Again, all I am arguing is that you can not view Fabian's actions in a vacuum.

It seems as if (if the rumor is true) that Cancellara will be riding with the Schleck Brothers on their new team.

"A Luxembourg newspaper is reporting that Olympic time trial champion Fabian Cancellara will follow the Schleck brothers to a new team backed by still unannounced sponsors.

Cancellara had been linked to BMC and the new Australian team, but if the report in Luxembourger Wurt proves true, it will make for a huge coup for the upstart Luxembourg team. Cancellara brings star power and guaranteed success in the spring classics and races against the clock."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/news/report-cancellara-to-join-schleck-brothers_141834

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Cancellara to BMC? ACF will be stiff for a month.:eek:
I had to put on fresh underwear after I just read this.
TeamSkyFans said:
He's not signing with anyone. Hes planning to ride next season as an independant and still whupp everyones butts.
It will be team schleck
The Hitch said:
lol brilliant.

Fabians 5 monuments dream might come into conflict with Cuddles LBL wishes. If canc joins to add to the other recruits, cuddles wont lose minutes in the ttt. Unless Canc and everyone else just does the TOC while Cuddles is in Italy. Pretty much what cost him last time.
Cancellara will never win LBL
offbyone said:
Would big george be happy or unhappy to have cancellera on his team? Wouldn't this take away all his chances of riding as a leader in the classics?

Not george but ballan, van avermaet and burghardt will be annoyed playing water boy.

I don't see him going to bmc. It would **** off some riders and their classics team maybe too overloaded which would cause tension.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I'm getting sick of Cance. He's become quite the drama queen and attention *****. He really started losing me when he neutralized the Tour stage.