• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thor Hushovd to retire after the season

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thor Hushovd will announce he will retire after this season after at press conference at a press conference according to tv2.no.

Hushovd is tired of sickness and lack of results and no longer have to motivation to keep up his cycling carrere.

http://www.tv2.no/2014/06/27/sport/hushovd/5751216

The norwegian cycling president sent out a tweet that the biggest and most important era in norwegian cycling history is over . SAD.

Hushovd never made it back to his normal level after his sickness in 2012.

I think Hushovd is by far the biggest reason for the growth of norwegian cycling in the recent years. It is sad he is quiting and sad he never made it back to his normal level after he got mononucleosis in 2011.

I have to say he was one of the readons why I turned my attention to the sport because of the way he rode after the green jersey in 2009, specially on the stage won by Frank Schleck.
I like the fact that leaves now instead of hanging around for one more contract; I guess he made the most of his talents going against legends like Boonen in the classics or Cavendish in the sprints. Roubaix is probably his only regret but he was never close to winning it.
Farewell and congratulations on your career! :)

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
According to Hushovd on the press conference he has been cycling with the mononucleosis virus in the body since 2012. He also said his biggest achivment on the bike was getting the results he got in cyling without doping, this was what he was most proud of during his careere.

trevim said:
I have to say he was one of the readons why I turned my attention to the sport because of the way he rode after the green jersey in 2009, specially on the stage won by Frank Schleck.
I like the fact that leaves now instead of hanging around for one more contract; I guess he made the most of his talents going against legends like Boonen in the classics or Cavendish in the sprints. Roubaix is probably his only regret but he was never close to winning it.Farewell and congratulations on your career! :)

Well, I wouldn't say never close. He crashed 15 k's from the finish in 2009 when he and Boonen was alone in the front...:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOwzRMpt9kk

Anyway, thank you for all the good moments over the years Thor!!!

Sad news.
787.gif

But I guess it was his time to retire.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
“On March 12, 2012, I woke up with high fever. I lay in bed for two and a half days. That's when my nightmare began.”

Sad news but lets celebrate his career! I'm so glad I managed to get a jersey signed last year when he was in California.

THOR, you will be missed!

The road curved and Cav held a straight line relative to some arbitrary point in space and time perceivable only to him and then insisted that that is what holding your line is.

If that is true then any sprint after a bend in the road should result in a massive crash into the barriers on the outside of the curve every single time.

In fact, in any pro race as soon as they come to a turn they should hold their line in the peloton and just cruise off into the grass (hopefully they bunnyhop the curb) or slam the barriers at high speed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I remember his Crédit Agricole days, that was a fun time :)

One of the great riders of the last decade, thanks for all the great racing!

myrideissteelerthanyours said:

The road curved and Cav held a straight line relative to some arbitrary point in space and time perceivable only to him and then insisted that that is what holding your line is.

If that is true then any sprint after a bend in the road should result in a massive crash into the barriers on the outside of the curve every single time.

In fact, in any pro race as soon as they come to a turn they should hold their line in the peloton and just cruise off into the grass (hopefully they bunnyhop the curb) or slam the barriers at high speed.

Wasn't the arbitrary point in space and time the actual finish line? And the road narrowed rather than curved? Or am I misremembering?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
trevim said:
I like the fact that leaves now instead of hanging around for one more contract; I guess he made the most of his talents going against legends like Boonen in the classics or Cavendish in the sprints. Roubaix is probably his only regret but he was never close to winning it.
Farewell and congratulations on your career! :)

Yep, he was one of the reasons I started to watch cycling regularly again about 2008. He might not have won as many races as Cavendish and Boonen , but he was one of the few riders who could win in different terrain and with the minimum of help. The WC in 2010 and TdF Stage 13 in 2011 are the races I will remember most.

With the WC approaching, its a pity as he is an ex WC and all he has done for Norwegian cycling he is not finishing his career at the WC this year. Norway only has 3 places, while other countries have 9 places meaning some very average riders from these large teams will line up at the WC start line instead.

Its a real pity he has decided to retire so early. Wish him all the luck in the future.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Normandy said:
Yep, he was one of the reasons I started to watch cycling regularly again about 2008. He might not have won as many races as Cavendish and Boonen , but he was one of the few riders who could win in different terrain and with the minimum of help. The WC in 2010 and TdF Stage 13 in 2011 are the races I will remember most.

With the WC approaching, its a pity as he is an ex WC and all he has done for Norwegian cycling he is not finishing his career at the WC this year. Norway only has 3 places, while other countries have 9 places meaning some very average riders from these large teams will line up at the WC start line instead.

Its a real pity he has decided to retire so early. Wish him all the luck in the future.

He wouldn't have been riding the WC anyway as he crashed at the last stage of Tour du Poitou Charentes, and he hasn't been able to race and train properly for a while after that.

TRENDING THREADS