• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thread planning

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do we have templates on how a race thread should be structured, and what content should be in it? Because I was wondering that if there is such a thing, or if we create a template so we could scrape that information from ProCyclingStats. That way we would get proper race threads every time, with the necessary info, even for smaller races, and users don't have to put too much effort in creating it.

I was thinking about this because Vuelta a San Juan starts in 2 days, and since this is with Evenepoel and Bernal, I can imagine that it will be discussed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Do we have templates on how a race thread should be structured, and what content should be in it? Because I was wondering that if there is such a thing, or if we create a template so we could scrape that information from ProCyclingStats. That way we would get proper race threads every time, with the necessary info, even for smaller races, and users don't have to put too much effort in creating it.

I was thinking about this because Vuelta a San Juan starts in 2 days, and since this is with Evenepoel and Bernal, I can imagine that it will be discussed.

The rules aren't set in stone, so race threads can have varying degrees of information in them. But including stage profiles (which don't have to be from PCS btw) is probably seen as the bare minimum.

There is no template. Information about profiles etc. is usually taken from PCS or organizer's website.
Every race thread is different, depending on what the poster wants it to look like. If people feel something is missing, they can add information in another post, and if it's something important the OP might edit theirs.

If you want to make one for San Juan just go ahead. Usually you would mention name and date in the title, put profiles, a link to the startlist and the information you find necessary or especially interesting in the post.

I proudly present you with a list of suggestions for rider thread titles!

The Sexiest Rider Ever - Tom Sexton Discussion Thread (I hope this would be allowed, obviously I think it should be clear that the title is a pun on his name)
Lenny is the New(est), but not quite Smallest, French Martinez
Mathias Norsgaard is not Matteo Jorgenson (I know he's quite unlikely to ever warrant a thread)
A Chubby Little Sprinter From Denmark - Emma Norsgaard Thread (based on the description on her social media. I'm not going to call a cyclist chubby)
Blake is Quick
Corbin is Strong

And he already has a thread - for some reason - but if it ever becomes relevant again, a mod needs to change to Kevin Ledanois thread title to "Kevin Ledanois is not Actually Danish".

@Red Rick is it somehow possible to reinstate BR2 as thread owner/creator, so that she can update the OP? I still think this is a useful thread, but it would make things easier if all the latest appointed/claimed threads were in the opening post. At least if she is still willing.

I could also hand over the thread to someone else if that is possible from a technical side - or this one is removed and someone else makes a new one. I also think it is useful, because there have been enough times when I was wondering about whether I should make a thread. But the way it is used now is probably not so very effective.

Just make the threads that you are planning to make. You can update and add to the OP, it doesn't have to be "finished" when you open it.
The problem is that when doing that, in busy season it doesn't take much for a topic to drop down to page2. So you might think there is no topic made yet, but then it turns out the (unfinished) topic already existed, and possibly one of two posters has put in a lot of work for no reason.
Another problem is that due to the forum's ridiculous technical shortcomings, topics made by a user on your ignore list, don't show up. I almost made a Masnada topic for no reason!

On top of that, you could get stuck in a pattern that one poster keeps posting topics in a certain way, perhaps well beforehand (due to his personal schedule) and after a while keeps doing so because he feels everybody is expecting him to, while in reality others have grown used to it and feel they would impose when "stealing" a topic. There would be no possible discussion beforehand. Also, for instance, when a race is coming up, you might want to ask about it in this thread and gauge how much interest there is. Let's say you feel the need for a topic for a lesser known race, but you have a busy schedule. You could drop a line "Is anybody making this thread? I'll do it if nobody else will, but i'm rather busy so it would be great if someone took over".

So it's still a useful topic imho. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
Personally, I think it works quite well as it is. Of course, the problem is when someone writes: "Gonna make [thread]", and then immediately goes on to make said thread. Don't think the possibilities are huge, but I suppose there is a possibility of two people doing that at the same time.

• Wow
Personally, I think it works quite well as it is. Of course, the problem is when someone writes: "Gonna make [thread]", and then immediately goes on to make said thread. Don't think the possibilities are huge, but I suppose there is a possibility of two people doing that at the same time.
It's still useful, but it would be even more useful if there was an overview in the OP. In every thread there will be some random discussion going on, like now, and then it would be nice to just be able to see what has been planned and what not, instead of having to read through pages of discussion to see if the race you want to do has been claimed or not.

• Wow
It's still useful, but it would be even more useful if there was an overview in the OP. In every thread there will be some random discussion going on, like now, and then it would be nice to just be able to see what has been planned and what not, instead of having to read through pages of discussion to see if the race you want to do has been claimed or not.

TBF, the OP was last updated in August 2021, so quite some time before BR2 deleted her old account. And it mostly seems to be for potential rider threads, which - I guess - can be thought about significantly before actually making the thread. As for race threads; well... I guess as long as we tell toby we've made a thread (for P-N)...

TBF, the OP was last updated in August 2021, so quite some time before BR2 deleted her old account. And it mostly seems to be for potential rider threads, which - I guess - can be thought about significantly before actually making the thread. As for race threads; well... I guess as long as we tell toby we've made a thread (for P-N)...
So, the best is to give us all mod-level clearance so we can all edit the OP!

The problem is that when doing that, in busy season it doesn't take much for a topic to drop down to page2. So you might think there is no topic made yet, but then it turns out the (unfinished) topic already existed, and possibly one of two posters has put in a lot of work for no reason.
Another problem is that due to the forum's ridiculous technical shortcomings, topics made by a user on your ignore list, don't show up. I almost made a Masnada topic for no reason!

On top of that, you could get stuck in a pattern that one poster keeps posting topics in a certain way, perhaps well beforehand (due to his personal schedule) and after a while keeps doing so because he feels everybody is expecting him to, while in reality others have grown used to it and feel they would impose when "stealing" a topic. There would be no possible discussion beforehand. Also, for instance, when a race is coming up, you might want to ask about it in this thread and gauge how much interest there is. Let's say you feel the need for a topic for a lesser known race, but you have a busy schedule. You could drop a line "Is anybody making this thread? I'll do it if nobody else will, but i'm rather busy so it would be great if someone took over".

So it's still a useful topic imho. My 2 cents.
Another poster can post suggestions for the OP (that can be edited in), so that it becomes a collaboration. I fail to see how an early thread will stop others more so than an early "dips" here would. One way or the other, someone will be first.

Another poster can post suggestions for the OP (that can be edited in), so that it becomes a collaboration. I fail to see how an early thread will stop others more so than an early "dips" here would. One way or the other, someone will be first.

For me the problem existed mostly with the stages of the GTs. Sometimes I was sitting in a train, preparing a thread, collecting some nice pictures and history, and then when I wanted to upload it, someone else had already done the same (or better) work. Of course you can always give your stuff to the other poster, but if two or more people are doing the same work that feels unnecessary if you could just have asked around if someone was already doing it.

In more recent times Devil's Elbow and others have taken over making most threads early and extremely well, so I just hardly did any anymore (in addition to not being around that much anymore), but there were still times when I found it helpful to communicate about these things - it's still a problem of course when only like 5 people ever look at this thread. But at least if you feel unsure about making a thread or how it should look like, should it be a merger for women's/men's etc. you know the place to ask about this.

Maybe it would be actually best to put this thread in the about forum section, lock it, and then someone who's here often and reliably, like RedheadDane or Samu or RedRick makes a new one and updates it regularly (since I suppose shared thread-leadership is technically impossible).

I think i explained myself rather well and gave some examples of how it could be an issue. Collabs are nice, but if two separate people prepare a thread for the same race without knowing beforehand, 80% of it is going to be wasted/double effort.

In more recent times Devil's Elbow and others have taken over making most threads early and extremely well
I often find those threads very unorganised and difficult to read. They are filled with info about the climbs, which is nice, but not every climb will be decisive or interesting, but it forces you into a scrolling fest, and through the chaotic lay-out and different styles of graphics, it becomes very hard to read the info or look for info. I don't know if people will actually read this (and i'm not going to hijack those threads by starting an ungrateful post about how they could improve the OP), but many of those threads would be served by some basic lay-out effort put into it. Bigger font size for the stage titles, some more spacing before/after each stage, resized images, to prevent endless scrolling (you can still click on the images for full size) etc.

• Wow
I often find those threads very unorganised and difficult to read. They are filled with info about the climbs, which is nice, but not every climb will be decisive or interesting, but it forces you into a scrolling fest, and through the chaotic lay-out and different styles of graphics, it becomes very hard to read the info or look for info. I don't know if people will actually read this (and i'm not going to hijack those threads by starting an ungrateful post about how they could improve the OP), but many of those threads would be served by some basic lay-out effort put into it. Bigger font size for the stage titles, some more spacing before/after each stage, resized images, to prevent endless scrolling (you can still click on the images for full size) etc.
That is a matter of preference, personally I strongly prefer having everything in one place without having to click or zoom in on every image, at the expense of additional scrolling. Yes, not every climb is equally important on paper, but sometimes the racing starts really early and middling mid-stage climbs that were unlikely to matter much suddenly become highly relevant. Fair points on font size and spacing though.

Come to think of it, the better solution may be to just put the climb profiles for each stage in spoiler tags for stage races because it provides a workaround for the disadvantages of both ways of formatting OPs.

TRENDING THREADS