• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thread to appreciate George Hincapie

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
He would have had to leave his team but he chose not to. US Postal was, as BroDeal says, all about July and the Tour de France. He seems to prefer being in the service of others.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Henri Desgrange said:
Agreed, if he'd chose to peak in spring rather than July he'd have won Flanders, and been a multiple winner of P-R.
Cobblers to that. He was up against Museeuw and Leferve, he didn't have the ammunition, team supoort or otherwise. He had one good chance in 2001, when he went through Arenberg with Peeters. Unluckily he punctured. I doubt he would have won then. Peeters more than likely would have sat on him and either had a free tow to Roubaix, or Museeuw and the rest of the Domo riders would have come back up to them and worked him over which they did in the end anyway.

I respect him for his choice to stay with Lance. Great sacrifice as moving to another team might have given him a chance at Roubaix. Doesn't mean I have to like the guy. By all accounts he hasn't got the greatest personality.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
or people could just shut the hell up if theyve got nothing constructive to say.. (not you.. but threads already are becoming people just going in, throwing in a doping allegation and leaving again) accusing just about everyone in every thread of being a doper is not talking about it.. its being bloody minded and argumentative
Classy way of making your point...very grown-up.

doping yes has always been part of the sport.. but if the sport is to get through it it needs to be a) clean and b) have the faith of the public that it is clean..
I hope the future is going to be cleaner. However this does not mean that I am going to dicuss someone who's career has spanned the "Armstrong Years" and avoid discussing doping.

if even the so called "True" cycling fans (and im starting to have my doubts about some of the people around here) cant give it a chance and have faith, how the hell are normal members of the public supposed to start beleiving in it...
What the hell is' "true cycling fan"? Is there such a thing as an untrue one?

im assuming that we are also going to shout doper, everytime swimming, atheletics, football, darts, sailing, boxing or any other sport gets mentioned (cycling still does not have the worst record)
Swimming has it;s fair share of issues. So has athletics which has taken a long time to address things. Other sports, well question why they all complain about the whereabouts system.

Frankly it doesn't matter. As I've said elsewhere, this is cycling. It got itself into this mess, it needs to get itself out of it.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
I wish George Hincapie all the best this year. Hopefully he will win Paris-Roubaix. I'm afraid, however, that if he does win, he may die of sheer joy. I can think of worse deaths.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Arenberg.jpg

This is one of my favorite pictures ever.

It's too bad he got taken down by Thor's crash near the finale yesterday.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
CapeRoadie said:
I wish George Hincapie all the best this year. Hopefully he will win Paris-Roubaix. I'm afraid, however, that if he does win, he may die of sheer joy. I can think of worse deaths.

Even if he never wins Roubaix (his childhood dream), he can still die of sheer joy knowing that he bagged a smoking hot TDF podium girl. Ever see his wife?:D

TRENDING THREADS