• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thru Axle Hub End Cap

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
I'm having to get some end caps made up as I cannot identify the hubs I have. Can anybody help me with what metal/alloy is used to make these caps? I have seen carbon caps advertised but, so far, none of the many sites I have visited re end caps state what they are actually made of. Hoping ..........

Jun 18, 2021
Visit site
I've alctualy seen an end cap advert stating they are made of a ali alloy so it looks like you are right (thank you). But which one? At least I have narrowed my hunt.

Ali was my first thought but surely, isn't ali too soft?
I'm no metallurgist, but all of my hubs (both mountain and road) since the early '90s have been made of Al including the end caps. I'm sure that the end caps are made of a 'harder' version of Al (7069? Maybe hard anodized?). I had a set of Bontrager Race-X (late '90s) that had end caps that were definitely softer because they got dings in them, but I've I never had any issues other than that.

TRENDING THREADS