• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tiago Machado and Johan Bruyneel

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't help wondering how someone like Machado goes from being a good rider in a lesser team in 2009 to a "force" and an overall contender in almost every race he is in this year. A meteoric rise, or special assistance by Bruyneel and LA? How come Bruyneel gets his hands on riders and they start doing amazing things?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Last year 4th in Algarve, 6th in Alentejo, 2nd in Asturias, National TT champ and some other good results.
Now he's older and on a bigger team with better helpers.

So this year he improved his Algarve result by one place and placed high in some other warm-up races. Wow.
510806193_183f9aaf99.jpg

I'm with AK too.... It's not like he's getting incredible results or anything. 2nd in last year's Circuit de la Sarthe was Enrico Rossi... 3rd in last year's Criterium International was Denny Pate... He's getting good, decent results for a 3rd tier GC guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think he's getting a lot of attention because a) he's on Armstrong/Bruyneel's team and b) they're a team desperately seeking results and a credible contender

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Squinzy said:
I can't help wondering how someone like Machado goes from being a good rider in a lesser team in 2009 to a "force" and an overall contender in almost every race he is in this year. A meteoric rise, or special assistance by Bruyneel and LA? How come Bruyneel gets his hands on riders and they start doing amazing things?

There is a certain intelligence in our bodies that can manifest into quality performance.

I read a couple of books back in the 70s. Cycling King of Sports.

Also I read an Italian training manual, translated directly from Italian to English. The official CONI training manual.

My guess is that it was written by Italian Champions, and Tutto Campagnolo, Mr. Cinelli, and Mr. Masi.

Read books like those, follow the beauty of the road with deft kicks up the smallest rises, and you shall improve.

I do not believe it is proper to point an accusitive finger at anyone for any reason unless you have solid evidence.

TRENDING THREADS