• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Wellens thread

May 28, 2012
Visit site
This guy is one of the few who still race the Ardennes with a positive attitude. I've become more and more of a fan since he became pro (also partly because he did so well for me on the CQ game last year :p ) and I couldn't find any thread about him. I wonder what do you think about this Belgian talent?

Re:

Flamin said:
Wellens has amazing style and souplesse. But I'm worried that Lotto will turn him into a boring placement rider when he's a few years older/stronger.

I wonder why they think they still have to. Their older 'GC placement' climbers hardly got what the team needed from them (placement points in GT or something), when Wellens and his style have won them at least a week-long WT stage race. Why can't Lotto just forget GT placement business altogether? They still have a lot to offer in a season and in a GT other than Jvdb kind of stuff. I can't understand why every team think they need to have something to do with GT GC,.

Gigs_98 said:
lemon cheese cake said:
Gigs_98 said:
great rider. I am a fan since last years eneco tour and what he did on Wednesday was really impressive
Yep. Thats how I mainly got to support him. The Eneco Tour. He also wrote a diary in a monthly magazine. Although most of the people who write in it, I feel I have to support them.
sarcasm?
No! He's a proactive rider, not a reactive one or a wheelsucker. If he's turned into a GC man, then these classics will lack something. The reason they'll lack something, is that the teams won't have somebody to chase down whereas currently they're using up men that they haven't done in the past. that makes the races more open, as riders that don't have a strong team and have, lets say one rider with them for the last 50k, will be on a more level playing field than when those stronger teams weren't using theirs.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lombardia is not Liege though @jagartrott.

many out of form top riders or not present
The same riders that were on form there, were also present at the front today... You could even argue that it was better with Martin and Gilbert. It was a day of bad luck for Wellens, and I've never seen him ride well in rainy conditions.

Re: Re:

Pentacycle said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Lombardia is not Liege though @jagartrott.

many out of form top riders or not present
The same riders that were on form there, were also present at the front today... You could even argue that it was better with Martin and Gilbert. It was a day of bad luck for Wellens, and I've never seen him ride well in rainy conditions.
La redoute win at the Eneco Tour?

CO0Jg7OUsAAyWzs.jpg:large

Re:

SafeBet said:
I'd love to see him soloing from Civiglio and winning Lombardia. Great rider.

To have a realistic shot, I think he should consider attacking on Colma di Sormano and hope some decent riders join him. Although it would be understandable if he thinks he can go head to head against the big boys (many of them are likely less fresh than him) in this kind of shape.

TRENDING THREADS