• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Wellens thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Bardamu said:
No semi AGR/LBL/TDF stages this year?

Only the stage to Geraardsbergen is interesting. And that's not ideal terrain for him to win the race on.

The winner will be someone with a strong team, decent time trial and someone that can hold his own on the cobbles. The bonus seconds can also play an important role. I just don't think we'll see a worthy winner of the race this year. Greg van Avermaet can win it if he gains a lot of time in the TTT and doesn't lose too much in the TT. I don't know how long the time trial is, or if it's flat or hilly, but if Tom Dumoulin starts, he's the favorite.

Re:

Bardamu said:
No semi AGR/LBL/TDF stages this year?

The Flanders and AGR (it is in Belgium though, but near Maastricht) stage are still in it but they aren't hard enough to make the difference. The TT's and boni seconds will probably be decisive. Pretty lame. Back to the Martin/Gutierrez/Julich/Hagen borefest. The only positive thing about the change is that it will make the "Golden KM" more exciting.

Only bad weather in the last two stages can make this interesting.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
What about his insane cadency today? That was really striking. Extreme, just doesn't seem right. Maybe if he would take it slower, results would be better. Watched L.A. too much I suppose.

Wellens starts reminding me more and more of De Gendt. A special breed in the peloton that like to do their own thing, very unpredictable but truly superb on a good day and not afraid of a looong solo.

Only the former is more explosive and therefore likely to win more races while the latter has the bigger engine.

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Tonton said:
Wellens is a strong and smart rider. He had this thing figured out, and he was irresistible. Good for him. He's a guy who can win big. I don't know what his schedule is for '17, but he can win a monument, no doubt. He's strong and smart.

He can only do this kind of thing because he is no threat in the GC. Okay, he is good and sometimes has nice results, but if the big guys are good and on their terrain Wellens has to let them go. I really don't believe in a monument for him at this time...

Wurfel said:
Tonton said:
Wellens is a strong and smart rider. He had this thing figured out, and he was irresistible. Good for him. He's a guy who can win big. I don't know what his schedule is for '17, but he can win a monument, no doubt. He's strong and smart.

He can only do this kind of thing because he is no threat in the GC. Okay, he is good and sometimes has nice results, but if the big guys are good and on their terrain Wellens has to let them go. I really don't believe in a monument for him at this time...
I don't really believe in a monument either, he can only win L-B-L and Lombardia. He doesn't have to tho, he is already creating a very nice palmarés for himself.

Valv.Piti said:
Wurfel said:
Tonton said:

I don't really believe in a monument either, he can only win L-B-L and Lombardia. He doesn't have to tho, he is already creating a very nice palmarés for himself.
That counts for most riders who win these two races though.
I also don't think its true that there are no scenarios where he is stronger than anyone else. His rivals which got completely demolished by him in the eneco tour weren't exactly nonames and I doubt anyone else could have done what he did in poland last year.

Tonton said:

Don't know his exact schedule but Strade Bianche is next (then Tirreno probably), which should suit him very well. Also Ardennes and Tour.

How things are looking for now, a monument will be extremely difficult. He's never done well in Liège despite having set his mind on it, and it's not a race made for him. Too passive these days. Lombardia maybe if they do a soft route like 2014 (and if it rains) but no chance on a hard one like 2015-2016.

Great ride from him. How he let the peloton explode on Monte Sante Marie and how he bridged a few gaps during the race was just incredible. Iirc he bridged a twenty second gap to Kwiat, Stybar and Dumoulin, who worked together quite well, almost alone.
I really would have loved to see him doing a solo like Kwiat, but still I'm very happy about his performance.

Re:

the asian said:
Awesome Performance.

Glad that he proved me right.

Wishing him all the best for LBL.

Great prediction.
Think L-B-L is still a bit too much for him (he never performed there), but who knows. He looks stronger than ever.
Hope he animates Amstel again and goes for it in MSR (Greipel isn't riding so he has a free role).

TRENDING THREADS