• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tip for handlebar tape

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One of the tings I don't get is the fixation with "residue" - either cleaning of, or looking for a tape that doesn't leave any. I just clean the worst lumps of the gunk, and then wrap right over the top of any other stuff. It's not like it will show. Life's too short....

Master50 said:
I have always wound my bar tape from the drops. clock wise on the right and counterclockwise on the left. the bar tape never slips if it has a proper adhesive strip. I like FIZIK tape that has a sort of leather look. It is about the easiest to keep clean I have found. Cork tapes are generally very comfortable but they are harder to keep clean.

The main thing is to wrap from the bar ends up to the tops. The clockwise/anti clockwise thing doesn't make any real difference of you wrap nice and tight. And anyway, clockwise/anti-clockwise definitition is only is meaningful if it is also stated which direction you are looking from, from the bar-ends or from the front. I always wrap with the tape going outwards from the top of the bar-ends. Works fine.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
One of the tings I don't get is the fixation with "residue" - either cleaning of, or looking for a tape that doesn't leave any. I just clean the worst lumps of the gunk, and then wrap right over the top of any other stuff. It's not like it will show. Life's too short....

My bike has to be A1 or its a no go for me. I even use white lightening clear grease. You would not even know my BB or headset had any grease. Its amazing stuff. No black greasy marks anywhere.

Lean mean and pristine clean.

TRENDING THREADS