• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno-Adriatico 2014 Discussion - Who will win?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

ianstannard

BANNED
Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
OPQS have put in a very good TTT performance, teams like Tinkoff and Sky are 24 seconds behind, can Contador, Porte still catch up with the OPQS riders?

ianstannard said:
OPQS have put in a very good TTT performance, teams like Tinkoff and Sky are 24 seconds behind, can Contador, Porte still catch up with the OPQS riders?

Yes.
The final of the stage to guardiagrele is so difficult a good climber can take a couple of minutes out of lesser climbers. And I think Contador (and Quintana) or still better climbers than Kwiatkowski.
The stage before is also difficult, but I think Kwiatkowski and/or Uran won't loose much time there, because of th nature of the climbs.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ianstannard said:
Is Porte likely to podium after this team time trial?

if he can repeat his performance at TDF where he slaved for Froome but still came in second on the mountain stage, then yes. He can smoke everyone with that form. But so far Evans and Valverde have been get the better of him. Now we'll see if he can fend off kwiat, uran, contador and quintana.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
I wouldn't say Van Den Broeck season is gone for him yet, his goal is (like always) the Tour. Which is still a ways a way. Definitely don't expect him to set the roads of France alight, Between 5th and 10th at best. But he could still get a decent enough result.

If we get to Romandie and he still isn't showing much in the way of form, at that point I would agree his season would be for the most part gone for him.

van den broeck has been out-shined by mollema. And even Ten dam. He should shoot for giro or vuelta.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
van den broeck has been out-shined by mollema. And even Ten dam. He should shoot for giro or vuelta.

Agree, like most other Tour obsessed rider, he should change things up and target something else. But it will never happen. There's a reason we call these guys July only riders.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jelantik said:
not kreuziger as dark horse?

Not dark enough ;)

For dark horses I think stage 4 holds their hopes. It is the only stage which lends itself to a surprise victory gaining enough time to offset the outright favourites matching strength vs strength in the TT and on stage 5, but it'll take a lot of commitment and luck, and will have a lot to do with the right combination in the break. I'm hoping the big teams use it as a dress rehearsal for knocking off favoured teams at bigger races, and we get to see all the number 2 guys on teams feature.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Kwia has this, the podium order will be interesting.

do you think 24 seconds is enough to fend of quintana and contador in the mountain though? it's really steep though. I would incline to think so, but I don't know how Quintana's form is and where Contador as well. The last time i saw, Contador was also struggling to keep up at the finish line, and so does Porte. This definitely opens up an interesting weekend.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ianstannard said:
I think that Kwia and Uran might have a hard time as they don't have any real support. Sky at least has Nieve and Wiggins to support Porte

In terms of support Porte if you only list Nieve and Wiggins you are selling the team short. Personally considering the route I think OPQS should concentrate on Kwiatkowski and then his support is Uran, Poels and Martin which is plenty if Kwiatkowski is good enough.
I think Kwiatkowski is very well placed if he is indeed in better form than last year and he's learned the lesson of pacing himself which he didn't do well last year.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
ianstannard said:
I think that Kwia and Uran might have a hard time as they don't have any real support. Sky at least has Nieve and Wiggins to support Porte

Doesnt matter too much. Uran and Kwia can just ride the sky train anyway. The question will be what happens when Porte goes on the attack.

Kwiat was leading the Cavendish train today, so that makes me think he isn't the protected rider. Uran made comments several times that he lost a lot of energy leading Cavendish when they were both @Sky. Not today

Kwiat is able to help in leadouts, Uran I do not think so. That's why Kwiato was used in Cav's train. It has nothing to do with the team leadership.

Tomorrow a guy like Kwiatkowski can gain some more seconds in the GC