• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico 2016 09/03/16 - 15/03/16 2.UWT

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Race of Two Seas?

• Pinot

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Uran

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • TJ

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Yates

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Rodriguez

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Nibali

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Valverde

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Mollema

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

classicomano said:
Vroome.exe said:
Thats how you wheelsuck your way to victory.
trucido said:
Wheelsucker GvA wins and gets unanimous praise? smh.
Get lost you lousy trolls.
Well said. I don't understand all that negativity. He's a great rider, and it seems like he has become a little smarter, which translates into wins. I'm happy for him. Why can't we all be?

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

Tonton said:
classicomano said:
Vroome.exe said:
trucido said:
Well said. I don't understand all that negativity. He's a great rider, and it seems like he has become a little smarter, which translates into wins. I'm happy for him. Why can't we all be?

After punching the air yesterday upon beating Sagan despite contributing nothing to the decisive break, no actually there's nothing to be happy about.

And I'm only considering the events of this race obviously, his previous outings are meaningless in this regard.

trucido said:
Tonton said:
classicomano said:
Vroome.exe said:
trucido said:

After punching the air yesterday upon beating Sagan despite contributing nothing to the decisive break, no actually there's nothing to be happy about.

And I'm only considering the events of this race obviously, his previous outings are meaningless in this regard.
I see your point, but it's reasonable to assume that team tactics were to keep TJVG in the mix with the ITT coming up. In that light, his job wasn't to participate in the break.

I quite like GVA as a rider but I'm gutted for Sagan today.

OK, all things being equal neither of them would be winning this race anyway, but another 2nd for Sagan after yesterday's ride is just so cruel.

Sagan is such a breath of fresh air to cycling and so likeable the way he rides that he deserves to start getting wins rather than 2nd places. Think he's just going to have to lose that boyish enthusiasm and develop a wiser, less attractive, racing head though if he wants to start turning those 2nd places into victories.

trucido said:

Profiting from (well, punishing really) the lousy tactics of your opponents is cycling in all its beauty. If you do not like this, I don't think it's your sport. You should try triathlon or something.

trucido said:
Tonton said:
classicomano said:
Vroome.exe said:
trucido said:

Is it's GVA's fault that he outplayed Sagan tactically? He won the stage and the race so he has every reason to be happy about the way he raced that stage.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Carols said:
Kind of bizarre to see GVA with a trident. It's a shocker!!!

Why is that bizarre? In the past riders like Cancellara, Pozzato and Freire have won it.
2009 · Michele Scarponi
2010 ·Stefano Garzelli
2011 · Cadel Evans
2012 · Vincenzo Nibali
2013 · Vincenzo Nibali
2014 · Alberto Contador
2015 · Nairo Quintana
2016 · Greg Van Avermaet

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

tweak37 said:
trucido said:

Profiting from (well, punishing really) the lousy tactics of your opponents is cycling in all its beauty. If you do not like this, I don't think it's your sport. You should try triathlon or something.

Well sue me if I like winners who actually animate a race as opposed to Matthews/Gerrans. And again in terms of GvA I'm only talking about this race

Buffalo Soldier said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Carols said:

Why is that bizarre? In the past riders like Cancellara, Pozzato and Freire have won it.
2009 · Michele Scarponi
2010 ·Stefano Garzelli
2011 · Cadel Evans
2012 · Vincenzo Nibali
2013 · Vincenzo Nibali
2014 · Alberto Contador
2015 · Nairo Quintana
2016 · Greg Van Avermaet

:D not out of place at all

rick james said:
Buffalo Soldier said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Carols said:

2009 · Michele Scarponi
2010 ·Stefano Garzelli
2011 · Cadel Evans
2012 · Vincenzo Nibali
2013 · Vincenzo Nibali
2014 · Alberto Contador
2015 · Nairo Quintana
2016 · Greg Van Avermaet

:D not out of place at all

And in-form current version of Van Avermaet wouldn't have been a shocking winner on the 2010 route.

trucido said:
tweak37 said:
trucido said:

Well sue me if I like winners who actually animate a race as opposed to Matthews/Gerrans. And again in terms of GvA I'm only talking about this race

I can certainly understand you do not like riders who consistently ride passively and rarely chip in, even when it would make sense to do so. But it's really unfortunate that you generalize this to all situations where a rider does not contribute, since it is exactly the "play" between contributing and saving, between riding actively and passively, between pulling and profiting that makes cycling such a tactically interesting sport.
I said it yesterday too: do you blame Stannard for "wheelsucking" his way to victory in OHN last year? I would hope not. That was an extreme situation, but yesterday and many other occasions were not so different.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Buffalo Soldier said:
2009 · Michele Scarponi
2010 ·Stefano Garzelli
2011 · Cadel Evans
2012 · Vincenzo Nibali
2013 · Vincenzo Nibali
2014 · Alberto Contador
2015 · Nairo Quintana
2016 · Greg Van Avermaet

2008 . Fabian Cancellara
2007 . Andreas Klöden
2006 . Thomas Dekker
2005 . Oscar Freire
2004 . Paolo Bettini
2003 . Filippo Pozzato
2002 . Erik Dekker

TA just going back to a more traditional format, that's all :p

roundabout said:
And in-form current version of Van Avermaet wouldn't have been a shocking winner on the 2010 route.

On the 2011 route GVA could have had a good result too the way he is now as well. Don't forget GVA finished top 10 in LBL before. He was possibly busy winning San Sebastian last year before he got knocked by a motorbike and he has been 3rd there before. On a good day GVA can compete in difficult hilly races with the best and since they've only put in proper MTF's since a few years, it's not exactly a shocker to see GVA win TA.

Really impressive from GVA in that final kilometre today. He must have had so much shouting in his ear, telling him he was on the verge of losing it and had to dig deeper, but he continued to pace himself with head down in an aero position, rather than trying to launch into a sprint too early.

TRENDING THREADS