• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno Adriatico route revealed

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Velolover2 said:
Do you think that heavy rain and lots of attacking could create gaps like that stage with Nibali, Sagan and Purito in 2013 or is it not hard enough?
I guess it can happen... but most likely not. Especially with a proper MTF the following day.
I think you are right about that. Stage 4 should have been stage 5 and vice versa. But if it's 8% for over 2k, it's stil a lot. Same with the Trevi climb just before. Definitely not Cavendish's cup of tea.

For Nibali, it could be the perfect warm-up stage for Milano-Sanremo.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Stage 6 looks like a 5% rise or so to Cepagati, and it's such a disappointing stage considering the wealth of oppurtuntities there.
Well that climb is rather 7 km's long with an average of 1.5%. So it will be a simple sprint. The only rider who could have problems here is Kittel and you can hardly design a stage in that area on which Kittel wouldnt have problems.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Mayomaniac said:
Meh, worst Tirreno Adriatico route in recent years.

It is clearly better than this year's, huh? I think its a decent route
I don't know, it was a bad route by Tirreno Adriatico standarts, but the stage that Poels won wasn't bad and the first version of that stage was even better, I don't think that the new route has 2 stages that are better than that stage + Terminillo.

Btw, don't you think 33 ITT kilometers are too much for this race. There is only one mountain stage and you can hardly do a long range attack there. A rider like Quintana would hardly have a chance against a rider like Froome. Sky just has to control the first half of the climb and its already impossible to get the time Froome would get in the ITT's, on the second half. I generally like races with lots of TTing but these races also should have a few really hard multi climbs stages and not only one, with a very hard mtf.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
We only have 10.1km of ITT, the 22.7km long time trial is a TTT.
I've always disliked TTTs, but I don't know if this one will decide the race.

finale.png

The finale climb of stage 2 which is followed by some false downhill and a uphill drag in the final metres. Could be better than we think. I think Brullnux is right. This stage will be between the hardier puncheurs like Valverde, Purito, Dan Martin and Kwiatkowski. No way Sagan is surviving this because there is going to be a lot of attacks.

It's like 8% for 3k.

Gigs_98 said:
Mayomaniac said:
We only have 10.1km of ITT, the 22.7km long time trial is a TTT.
I've always disliked TTTs, but I don't know if this one will decide the race.
Oh, got that wrong. However 22.7 kilometers of TTT also aren't an indication for a very good route.

Rather 20 than 10, at least some riders will be at a deficit and have to make up for it. I dont think the route is bad. Only 2 stages for the sprinters, 2 for the puncheurs, one for the climbers and the two time trials. However, we can all agree that Paris-Nice is a better route, but that route is also quite exceptional compared to what we expect in that race.