• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Tirreno-Adriatico stage 5: Chieti - Colmurano, 234 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Angliru said:
Evans has a decent sprint but it seems he has a tendency to go too soon. He gave his three competitors the perfect lead out. I just can't figure out what he was thinking going from so far out, especially with someone like Garzelli, who is known to also have a decent kick. I just knew Garzelli was going to take because I figured Gasparroto would've been cooked after getting caught. Great effort by Enrico!

Edit: I know I'm tardy but I just had a chance to view the final 5k on steephill.:eek:

I figured it out.............its march and theres plenty of time until the giro.......training/racing miles=good form..........if you know you dont have a sprint/kick........make em hurt...........
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm pretty sure Gesink is trying as hard as he can. All the explosive stuff at the foot of a climb is just never his thing. Everytime so far he has recovered at the 2nd part of a climb, same thing today. But on short hills like these, that is too late.
Still his weak point, just like Sastre and Basso who often had the same problem at the foot of a climb

Plus I agree, he is not in top shape. He is good, or normal. I wouldn't say bad. Riding in 5th place in a race like the Tirreno when it's only your second race of the season is not bad. Gesink never has done better than 11th in this race (although due to bad luck last year)

yup, i remember the same thing at the vuelta last ear, was a little longer though and he did recover to come in with valverde and evans (was the stage when evans cried about gesink in the sprint. Agreed he is soing ok considering it's his 2nd race though. Tomorrow will suit him more.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
stefrees said:
it was a decent ride, no more. all that effort for very little.

yes mr glass half empty. it was a good ride, i'm just saying he rode strongly and agressively. There were some quality riders in the bunch behind. Garzelli has some good form also.
 

Krap Police

BANNED
Mar 15, 2010
47
0
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
yes mr glass half empty. it was a good ride, i'm just saying he rode strongly and agressively. There were some quality riders in the bunch behind. Garzelli has some good form also.

Krappy performance - kabam!
 
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
yup, i remember the same thing at the vuelta last ear, was a little longer though and he did recover to come in with valverde and evans (was the stage when evans cried about gesink in the sprint. Agreed he is soing ok considering it's his 2nd race though. Tomorrow will suit him more.
There's a short interview with Gesink in today's Volkskrant, in which he says that he's basically here to work on his Achilles heel, the short, explosive climbs. He's not here to contend for the overall, he wants to be good in the Basque country.
And--auscyclefan take notice-- he says that he likes to test himself against Cadel Evans, whom he admires because he is strong all year long.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
blaxland said:
Yes if things go his way...................and the form keeps improving.

Things won't be right if Menchov will finish his career with at least two Vuelta wins and one Giro win, and Cadel gets nothing. I mean Savoldelli won the Giro twice, his first with a wildcard team and then his second with the Discovery Channel B team FFS.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,644
2
0
Visit site
theyoungest said:
There's a short interview with Gesink in today's Volkskrant, in which he says that he's basically here to work on his Achilles heel, the short, explosive climbs. He's not here to contend for the overall, he wants to be good in the Basque country.
And--auscyclefan take notice-- he says that he likes to test himself against Cadel Evans, whom he admires because he is strong all year long.

Interesting, i didn't have high hopes for him before the race, he hasn't done bad. Though I'm sure if he feels good in today's stage he will try and go for it.
 
blaxland said:
I figured it out.............its march and theres plenty of time until the giro.......training/racing miles=good form..........if you know you dont have a sprint/kick........make em hurt...........

His intention wasn't to make his fellow members of the break hurt, it was to take time out of Scarponi who had crashed earlier. He has a better kick than he gets credit for even from his ardent fans.
 
craig1985 said:
Things won't be right if Menchov will finish his career with at least two Vuelta wins and one Giro win, and Cadel gets nothing. I mean Savoldelli won the Giro twice, his first with a wildcard team and then his second with the Discovery Channel B team FFS.

...and the competing argument will likely be that he (Evans) never had the support that these riders had which isn't really true especially in the case of Salvodelli's 2nd Giro win when he was continually isolated with no teammates in the mountains. Menchov hasn't exactly been riding on a climber heavy squad with Rabobank but of course we'll continue to hear the excuses.

Let me say that I personally don't think Evans is overrated, he just tends to make excuses for his failures, usually based on lack of support from his teams,
being ganged up on (when you're wearing a race leader's jersey that is usually what happens), and whatever incident that gets him all emotional.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Angliru said:
...and the competing argument will likely be that he (Evans) never had the support that these riders had which isn't really true especially in the case of Salvodelli's 2nd Giro win when he was continually isolated with no teammates in the mountains. Menchov hasn't exactly been riding on a climber heavy squad with Rabobank but of course we'll continue to hear the excuses.

Let me say that I personally don't think Evans is overrated, he just tends to make excuses for his failures, usually based on lack of support from his teams,
being ganged up on (when you're wearing a race leader's jersey that is usually what happens), and whatever incident that gets him all emotional.

...and we'll continue to hear the haters!:rolleyes: