• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

To gym or not?

Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
I have cycled for a while for mental health. It improves my mental well being and it keeps me going. For fitness, I only do aerobics but I recently have had the urge to do more with my fitness. Should I just hit the gym or look for a fitness coach?

It's difficult to say without knowing your goal. In my opinion you don't need a coach unless you are competing at a high level, there is enough self study options to work out your own programme. Why are you considering the gym? Is it to improve your cycling or for a general body strength for example?
If you just want to be generally fitter then keep cycling and yes go to the gym, most gym's will have staff who can give you some general guidance without having to pay for a personal coach. Research what kind of workouts will help you achieve what you want, maybe circuit training for the winter combined with weights for strength and keep riding the bike.
If you want to be better on the bike then buy a couple of good books on training for the bike, get an indoor turbo trainer to use if the weather is bad and do some gym work as well if you like.

Reactions: jmdirt
Like ebandit says, do what you enjoy.

If you do it for your mental health primarily, don't make it into a stress.

Unless you have competitive goals, once you have a fitness level you are comfortable with, allow yourself to say that is enough, and maintain it by doing what you do to get to it.

Balance.

A good gym which is not just doped bodybuilders but for all kinds of people will always have a good coach to help you with your training (schedule).
But the real reason I came to this thread is that the title bothers me, every time I see it my brain tells me it needs to be "to gym or not to gym".

Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
A good gym which is not just doped bodybuilders but for all kinds of people will always have a good coach to help you with your training (schedule).
But the real reason I came to this thread is that the title bothers me, every time I see it my brain tells me it needs to be "to gym or not to gym".

Thank you for the reply and now that you said it, I agree. I would have corrected it, only that you might never come back.

Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
It's difficult to say without knowing your goal. In my opinion you don't need a coach unless you are competing at a high level, there is enough self study options to work out your own programme. Why are you considering the gym? Is it to improve your cycling or for a general body strength for example?
If you just want to be generally fitter then keep cycling and yes go to the gym, most gym's will have staff who can give you some general guidance without having to pay for a personal coach. Research what kind of workouts will help you achieve what you want, maybe circuit training for the winter combined with weights for strength and keep riding the bike.
If you want to be better on the bike then buy a couple of good books on training for the bike, get an indoor turbo trainer to use if the weather is bad and do some gym work as well if you like.
I think the other reason as to why I was thinking of a coach is because I did not feel like I have a lot of time to do trial and error. I felt the need to have someone understand me and then guide me for my general fitness and the kind of body I am aiming at. However, I shall head to the gym and work with the instructors there. Thank you!

Sep 10, 2021
Visit site
enjoy your cycling.....if you think you will enjoy going to the gym give that a go......

as to a coach i guess that comes down to what you hope to achieve/your personal motivation
if your motivated there is no need until you reach any plateau in improvement...

Mark L
Yes, I do enjoy the bike Mark but I don't have much time now. Thanks

You could also buy some dumbbells/kettles bells and do basic stuff at home to get started (and save time and money).
Dumbbell lunges, push ups, dumb bell raise, dumb bell military press, core exercises, jump rope, dumbbell carry...

I enjoy lifting weights, but like you, nothing helps my mental state like riding my bike.

I think it totally depends on what you want or hope to get from it. Prior to the pandemic, for the last 20 years I’ve used my local (downtown) YMCA gym 2-3 times a week from Oct-March/April. Mainly because, even though the weather is rarely bad enough to physically prevent riding or walking outdoors, it’s so dang dark &wet here in the late fall & winter after work hours that I like be able to work out (doing whatever) in a bright place with lively people around (most without much pretense re: their appearance) before heading home. It doesn’t matter that much what I do: sometimes spin classes, or cardio machines, free weights, stretching, or even just shooting baskets. I always prefer to be outdoors if it’s decent weather, but I know having the gym as an option helps me stay more active in the dark, dreary months. Maybe if I had to pay a private club I wouldn’t think it’s worth it, but I don’t mind supporting an organization like the ‘Y’.

I started going to a gym 6 weeks ago. It's not an expensive one and a bit of heavy weight training in the off season will be good. I do heavy trap bar deadlifts with the low handles and unilateral leg work (bulgarian split squats and single leg leg press). I just hit 140kg for 5 reps on my trap bar deadlift at a bodyweight of 68/69kg.
I train twice a week and I only deadlift heavy once a week, the 2nd day I drop the weight but focus on improving my form, while keeping the volume similar (low).

Reactions: Sciatic
I started going to a gym 6 weeks ago. It's not an expensive one and a bit of heavy weight training in the off season will be good. I do heavy trap bar deadlifts with the low handles and unilateral leg work (bulgarian split squats and single leg leg press). I just hit 140kg for 5 reps on my trap bar deadlift at a bodyweight of 68/69kg.
I train twice a week and I only deadlift heavy once a week, the 2nd day I drop the weight but focus on improving my form, while keeping the volume similar (low).
Fair play, this sounds like hell to me!

Reactions: Sciatic
May 22, 2022
Visit site
I think it depends on your level of need. If you want the light exercise to improve your health, the best option is still cycling. You will get mental comfort and have more space, changing space every day compared to the gym. That is my personal opinion.

Cyclist and coach Richard Stern talks -
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitne...ycling-coach-still-gaining-watts-explains-how
"I do weight training which has added 150 watts to my sprint power. I’m a lot stronger now than when I was younger. I’m in the gym 2-3 times a week doing a range of exercises including squats, plyometrics.”

In the past, Richard was very vocal about weight training - feeling it was unnecessary for endurance cyclists - a position that he has now changed, to the extent that he has written an apology for his previous comments. Whilst the motivation for weight training was to strengthen his bones and avoid further injury it also increased his sprint power, but perhaps more importantly reduced his osteoporosis, “it is now only classed as osteopenia”.

Reactions: Nomad

TRENDING THREADS